Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. "Zoom Property" for XAML page

it would be cool if you could set the ZOOM level for a XAML page using a ZOOM property. Example:

<!-- Displate Xaml page with controls scaled to 80% of normal size -->
    <Page ...
    Zoom="0.8" >

</Page>

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. is UWP alive or dead? Windows 10 programers confused as heck...

I got to say, Microsoft has everybody confused as heck... they kill off windows Mobile... but the Windows 10 programming books on the market still push UWP... so you download the code examples off of docs.microsoft.com and they want you to install a Windows Phone emulator just to run the sample code... WTF Microsoft? you people are confusing the **** out of the public... I look and I see that Microsoft's team is converting Control people into a UWP application, yet the outward signs from their document website is that UWP is shutdown because it based on windows mobile emulator…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Directlry Port HTML <table> control to UWP XAML as <xtable>... why not...everybody know html table...

Seems to me...the XAML development people should stop ******* their heads on the wall and directly steal some of the HTML ways....

Like why does UWP not have a spreadsheet control??? Seriously, I'm thinking about inserting a WebView control and writing HTML!! just to get a spreadsheet inside of UWP application... this is not only messy, its ashamed thast XAML has no way to do this natively... Should we just all toss in the bag and write javascript instead....as much as I hate hackish script laugages like javascript over C# ... it seems the HTML controls are better!!!! over non-existent…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Hololens and xbox emulators for uwp development

as a UWP developer I need to distribute my uwp app to all windows 10 devices and for that I have to test the app on all devices including Hololens and xbox.
    1. Hololens : There should be emulators per SDK version with the installation of Visual Studio, just like windows Phone Emulators. With clear instructions on how to use the emulator on a PC.
    2. Xbox : For all those developers who dont have xbox one but want to publish uwp apps to xbox, there should be xbox emulators per SDK Version with the VS installation, with support of…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Make XAML intellisense icons colorful.

Please make XAML intellisense icons colorful. There are only black icons. It is hard to distinguish between icons. For examle events are everywhere yellow and only in XAML there are black.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. UWP Fall update - supports Telerik controls (which are missing crusial eventhandlers), but with FallUpdate VSM is not supported in Blend?

Feedback: ..would love to make a UWP project, but it's always something not working.

Telerik control - Fall update OK
    Telerik RadDataGrid - missing crusial eventhandlers ..such as rowsChanged etc.d
    VSM in Blend - Fall update not working

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. UWP Page/Frame model works

got to hand it to Windows Development team... the UWP Page/Frame mode works well... that really makes it significantly easier to make an application if you can get people to in terms of pages instead of windows... My biggest hang up was getting used to using side NavMenus.... and pages together...

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. more than one XAML view per csharp file, selected by screen rotation/ratio

If you want my opinion about what you are doing wrong with UWP... you are trying to fit all of you XAML into the same XAML as a rescalable desktop XAML page, except with none of the widgets that make that mode good for a desktop...

You need the option to have different XAML views that can reorder the visual tree, but yet share the same csharp code underneath... And one of the XAML views should be call Desktop and should have extra components from WPF that UWP throws away as not being tablet like enough....

Not to beat a…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. XAML String Conversion to RowDefinitions and ColumnDefintions

Why not Add XAML String Converters that can convert a string into a RowDefinitions and ColumnDefinitions??

<Grid RowDefinition="auto,2*,2*" ColumnDefintions="auto, auto,*">

</Grid>

Instead of:

<Grid>
    <Grid.RowDefinitions>
    ..etc...etc...etc..
    </Grid.RowDefinitions>

<Grid.ColumnDefintions>
    ...etc...etc...etc...
    </Grid.Columndefintions>

<!--- ahh...my fingers are so tired at this point! -->
    </Grid>

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Could you please spare some time taking a look at your templates. None of them works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have tried this **** this whole afternoon and the whole thing I get is a error after one. I haven't changed anything after creating project. There are too many error in the example code!!!!!!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. XAML: Symbols Enum of Symbol-Icon Should contain all of PowerShell Verbs and Nouns

Just for the sake of consistency. I think Microsoft should add all the PowerShell Verbs and Nouns to the Symbol Enums.

Afterall, if Microsoft is going to force everybody to use the same set of verbs for all their powershell cmdlets...I think UWP should uphold the same level of consistency in the Symbols that are provided for Icon property of AppBarButton. In fact maybe just add them as a two separate enums... SymbolsVerbs SymbolsNouns...

Now, if you really want to get crazy there's probably some way to merge the two icons together... to create a new third icon... But, i…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Visual Studio 2017, when in the WPF XAML, an object property is bound to an UI control, the reference link on the class is missing

In Visual Studio 2017, all editions, when, in the WPF XAML, an object property is bound to a UI XAML control, the reference link on the class source code should reflect this 1 reference in the reference count above the property and the link to that reference could point to the XAML element/control.

Typically, each binding has these four components: a binding target object, a target property, a binding source, and a path to the value in the binding source to use.
    For example, if you want to bind the content of a TextBox to the Name property of an…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow VisualStudioToolsManifest.xml to be TFM specific

In NuGet packages we can now place a file in \tools\VisualStudioToolsManifest.xml that list the set of controls that should be added to the Toolbox in the visual studio XAML designer. This works both for UWP and WPF.
    However there's no way to make this TFM specific. This poses a problem if you for instance have both WPF and UWP controls in your nuget package and the set of controls is not 100% the same, or if you are providing multiple TFV where for instance newer TFV provides extra controls and deprecates older ones. Ie UAP10.0.14393, UAP10.0.16299, or net451, net461 etc. …

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. "Design Tab" Should work for Resource Dictionaries in Project

When you add a Resource Dictionary to your Project...
    right now you can only click the XAML tab for source entry...
    I think, Microsoft should also enable the "Design" tab for standalone resource dictionaries, by (1) giving you some way to select which Style to present on the Design Tab, and (2) a way to specify some XAML code to use for testing and display in the Design Tab for the specific Style that has been selected, and if this code is not provided to provide a default testing code for said element... (3) when you stop editing the resource…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. "XAML Button Wizard" for Visual Studio to Create Style Templates

I think what visual studio needs is a "XAML button Wizard" under "Add To Project" SubMenu. Bascially, what it does is opens a small App that allows you to visually pick the type of button you want to configure from set of stock templates. Example, Round Button, Ellipse Button, 3D Button, glass button, etc..., then when you hit the generate button, the Wizard automatically adds a Resource Dictionary to your project specifically for that One Button Created. Each time you rerun the "Button Wizard", it creates a new XAML Resource Dictionary specifically for that button. Then, its up to the…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. ResourceLinks

Here's my Idea... in addition to providing Page.Resource, Grid.Resource, etc... etc... also provide a second Property Called ResourceLinks that is already aliased to the following:

<Page.ResourceLinks>
    <ResourceDictionary Source="ms-appx:///RsButton1.xaml"/>
    <ResourceDictionary Source="ms-appx:///RsButton2.xaml"/>
    <ResourceDictionary Source="ms-appx:///RsButton3.xaml"/>
    </Page.ResourceLinks>

Is the same as:

<Page.Resources>
    <ResourceDictionary>
    <ResourceDictionary.MergedDictionaries>
    <ResourceDictionary Source="ms-appx:///RsButton1.xaml"/>
    <ResourceDictionary Source="ms-appx:///RsButton2.xaml"/>
    <ResourceDictionary Source="ms-appx:///RsButton3.xaml"/>
    </ResourceDictionary.MergedDictionaries>
    </ResourceDictionary>
    </Page.Resources>

That way it works more like HTML css... all this unneccasy nesting really turns me off when i want to use the XAML style sheet.... This is suppose to human codable not machine generated XAML...

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Why can't you just directly embed a ResourceDictionary in a Page.Resources?

Sorry...I know this is obvious and often complained about...but why can't we just do this?

<Page.Resources>
    <ResourceDictionary Source="ms-appx:///RsButton2.Xaml"/>
    </Page.Resources>

Instead of this Ackward Mess:

<ResourceDictionary>
    <ResourceDictionary.MergedDictionaries>
    <ResourceDictionary Source="ms-appx:///RsButton2.Xaml"/>
    </ResourceDictionary.MergedDictionaries>
    </ResourceDictionary>

</Page.Resources>

Also, I would be nice If you type "SOURCE" and it would provide a list of Resource Dictionary Files in the Project to select from... also, would be nice if it would make suggestion on how to fix your path to your resource if you type it wrong.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. BorderBezel Control

instead of:

<Grid>
    <Border BorderThickness="0,0,2,2"
    BorderBrush="DarkGray"/>
    <Border BorderThickness="2,2,0,0"
    BorderBrush="AntiqueWhite"/>
    <Button Content="Hello"/>
    </Grid>

<BorderBezel
    Border1Thickness="0,0,2,2"
    Border1Brush="DarkGray
    Border2Thickness="2,2,0,0"
    Border2Brush="AntiqueWhite">
    <Button Content="Hello>
    </BorderBezel>

Better Yet, Create a BorderStyle Proporty for Button Controls, so you don't need to wrap you Button in a BorderBezel.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. BezelBoarder!!!!!! The time has come to Rebezel the buttons...I hate flat buttons

Would be great to have an Enhanced Border XAML control, for creating a Bezel effect.

Believe it or not, Bezeling a control that is a feature that people REAL REAL LIKE, but is extremely extremely hard to pull off in XAML Without Writing XAML like mad. I poiint to the extreme lack of Examples of how to create Bezel effect in XAML... Every single one of the example is an ulgy hack that doesn't produce the nice and easy bezel, that GUI's have been using literally for 30 year years! why is this so aburdly hard to create a bezel…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Suggestion: Setting ColumnDefition and RowDefintion from Style Template

make it possible to add the follow code:

<Grid.RowDefinitions>
    <RowDefinition Height="auto"/>
    <RowDefinition Height="*"/>
    <RowDefinition Height="auto"/>
    </Grid.RowDefinitions>

into a Style / Setter template for a Grid?? and then automatically setup the RowDefitions for a grid like this?

<Grid style="{StaticResource MyRowDefs}">
    <Button Grid.Row="0" Content="Button1/>
    <TextBox Grid.Row="1"/>
    <Button Grid.Row="2" Content="Button2/>
    </Grid>

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base