Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Suggestion: Setting ColumnDefition and RowDefintion from Style Template

make it possible to add the follow code:

<Grid.RowDefinitions>
    <RowDefinition Height="auto"/>
    <RowDefinition Height="*"/>
    <RowDefinition Height="auto"/>
    </Grid.RowDefinitions>

into a Style / Setter template for a Grid?? and then automatically setup the RowDefitions for a grid like this?

<Grid style="{StaticResource MyRowDefs}">
    <Button Grid.Row="0" Content="Button1/>
    <TextBox Grid.Row="1"/>
    <Button Grid.Row="2" Content="Button2/>
    </Grid>

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. XAML Suggestion: provide special 9-region-Grid Control, that consists of two nested Grids

Personally, I hate nesting grids inside of grids inside of grids.. its gets too confusing...especially after the 3rd level is reached...

All I want is a short cut for the following in a single level grid component, call it a 9 region grid:

Example:

// Nest => {RowThenColumn, ColumnThenRow, ColumnAndRow}

<NineGrid Nest="RowThenColumn">

<Grid NineGrid.XY="0,0" Name="GridHeaderLeft" > ...</Grid>
    <Grid NineGrid.XY="0,1" Name="GridHeaderCent" > ...</Grid>
    <Grid NineGrid.XY="0,2" Name="GridHeaderRight"> ...</Grid>

<Grid NineGrid.XY="1,0" Name="GridBodyLeft" > ...</Grid>
    <Grid NineGrid.XY="1,1" Name="GridBodyCent" > ...</Grid>
    <Grid NineGrid.XY="1,2" Name="GridBodyRight"> ...</Grid>

<Grid NineGrid.XY="2,0" Name="GridFooterLeft" > ...</Grid>
    <Grid NineGrid.XY="2,1" Name="GridFooterCent" > ...</Grid>
    <Grid NineGrid.XY="2,2" Name="GridFooterRight"> ...</Grid>
    </NineGrid>

If you don't include an…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add Rule Set for Accessibility in Code Analysis so checks runs as part of the build.

Visual should embrace accessibility deeper into its IDE and help developers integrate Accessibility standards in their apps. Having a Code Analysis rule that checkes for controls and XAML elements exposing AutomationProperties properly so that the app complies is important, alerting developers or braking the build in case the app is not in good shape. Having tools to verify this during build or post build would be great.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Return All functions to XAML Designer

When you get ALL the functionality in the "XAML Designer" ??? Why did you do it was removed from the release of the product?? Like Microsoft wants the developers wrote the software, well if you break them the tools!?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Support 2017 csproj format for WPF

The 2017 csproj format is great to avoid merge conflicts in teams.
    There have been attempts to make it work, and while they do achieve successful compilation and execution, they still have a few downsides, for which the workarounds end up needing more work than resolving merge conflicts:

1. When adding images, fonts, etc to a project, the files are not compiled as Resource by default. This can be worked around by editing the csproj manually and using a pattern to define matching extensions as Resource.

2. The menus do not have shortcuts for creating new user controls, etc. This…

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Better formatting in Xaml editor for multi-line Xml tag

The Xaml editor in Visual Studio can does a good job with formatting automatically, and reformatting with the Advanced|FormatDocument. But if you have a tag on one line with attributes on subsequent lines, it doesn't format the attributes correctly.

For example, if you have a multi-line tag (like a TextBlock) and wrap it in another (like a StackPanel), it tabs the TextBlock tag over, but not its attributes.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Make One Drive accessible in the FolderPicker on the Phone like it is on the Laptop

I have an Application for my private Data. It runs on my Laptop and on
    my Windows 10 Phone. It should share the same Data on One Drive.

I make thís on the laptop by Calling the Folder Picker one time if the Data Folder is not in the FutureAccessList and store it there.

But the Folder Picker on the phone does not have this possibility? It does not show OneDrive like it does on the Laptop.

Can you correct this please?

Regards, Markus

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Implement x:Bind for WPF

Implement x:Bind for WPF

Please implement the x:Bind feature from Universal Windows Apps in WPF.

See http://channel9.msdn.com/events/Build/2015/3-635 for a presentation on x:Bind.

(I just copy this post from https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/427690-windows-presentation-foundation-wpf/suggestions/7810488-implement-x-bind-for-wpf)

We develop a large ERP software with a metadata based generated WPF client. x:Bind would be very important for us.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Representation of RGBA.

this.
    <Color x:Key="NormalForegroundColor" >#FFF1F1F1</Color>

I want to express like this.
    <Color x:Key="NormalForegroundColor" >#FF F1 F1 F1</Color>

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. VS designer - support WPF visual states

Add support visual states inside visual studio designer similiar to how blend works or used to work. Where you can view a certain state.

Add attribute that allows viewmodel to tag what property that is associated with the view & thus the designer could automatically set it.

d:DataContext="{d:DesignInstance IsDesignTimeCreatable=True, Type={x:Type vm:...ViewModel}}"

private Control view = null;
    [View()]
    public Control View
    {
    get { return this.view; }
    set
    {
    if (this.SetProperty(ref this.view, value))
    {
    this.UpdateVisualState();
    }
    }
    }

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. add all calendars (wpf)

Hi
    When writing the following code in (WPF) does not accept an error
    <DatePicker CalendarIdentifier="UmAlQuraCalendar" />

It turns out that the “DatePicker” supports only the Gregorian calendar.
    Hopefully support all the calendars in (WPF)

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Hopefully support all the calendars in (WPF)..Urgent

Hi
    When writing the following code in (WPF) does not accept an error

<DatePicker CalendarIdentifier="UmAlQuraCalendar" />

It turns out that the “DatePicker” supports only the Gregorian calendar.

Hopefully support all the calendars in (WPF)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Console window with UWP project

There must be a console window with Universal Windows Platform (UWP) project because some of project does not run in debug mode to see System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine("message"); in output. Please be kind and have thought over it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Preview color in XAML editor (text editor, not designer)

Allow to quickly view the Color next to the #FF44EE + add a color picker like the one existing for CSS. Some poeple prefer using the XML editor to edit XAML, and not the designer mode.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Update WPF to support the latest Unicode version (10.0.0)

It looks like the latest version of WPF only supports characters up to the Unicode 7.0 specification that was released on 2014-07-16: http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode7.0.0/

That was over 3 years ago. The latest Unicode specification is 10.0.0 and was released on 2017-07-20: http://unicode.org/versions/Unicode10.0.0/

It would be nice if WPF could be updated to support the latest version of Unicode. Right now there are a lot of characters, especially emojis, that don't get rendered properly and just appear as rectangles.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Liscence PSoC IDE from Cypress Semicondutor to create UWP app with VB6 syntax as backend

I code for micro controllers and also create GUI in UWP. With each passing year I feel coding for PC is taking more effort while coding for the embedded systems is becoming more easy.

PSoC IDE from Cypress Semiconductor is a revolutionary idea for coding micro controllers. But the irony is a Text based IDE like Arduino is more popular than the PSoC idea. The Arduino IDE hides under the hood all aspects of the microcontroller, while the PSoC IDE exposes every single aspect of the micro controller with graphics to make life easy for the embedded developer.

I see…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Create UWP app with Small Basic

I am reposting a idea proposed in 2013 which did not get a second vote:

If Bill Gates was watching he would have voted a million times for this idea.
    If this was done in 2013 when Original Poster (OP) disclosed, Lumia would not have died and M$ would not have incurred the millions of dollar loss.
    OP is a visionary and I am opening it again.

--- original post ----
    MS Small Basic is an excellent language
    inspired by our old Basic
    I trained with him young people from 16/17 years in the secondary
    It allows to understand the…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. When open UWP project which target platform version does not exist on the computer, ask for the version.

Now, when I open a demo solution, which contains an UWP project, I have to go and manually change the TargetPlatformMinVersion and TargetPlatformVersion, because I do not have this SDK (normally 10.0.10240.0). Make the VS to ask, when this version is not installed. (Like by creatng new Cross Platform project)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Dont install new Windows SDK while VisualStudio update

if system is running previous version of Windows 10 OS , Installing any visual studio update , it automatically install new version of SDK also , I feel is not required , specially for Enterprise customer

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base