Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Reload option on xamarin forms previewer

Each time I need to reload the xamarin.forms previewer, I need to close and re-open the XAML file each time the render fails. It would be much easier to have an option to reload the previewer within the previewer.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. WPF: improve GridView column widths

Please improve the GridView column width.

When using a ListView with a GridView in WPF, getting the right width of the columns is a big pain **********.

Please improve this, add for example: autosize (auto width), fit to content.

I don't understand this has not been added yet after all these years.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. XAML designer for Xamarin Forms

Are there any plans to support Xamarin Forms in the XAML designer? We currently have the previewer window, but it’s only one way, and it would be fantastic to have first class drag and drop visual design experience.
    For the love of God, because they have not yet implemented a Designer compatible with Xamarin.Forms is something extremely and widely requested a long time and so far not even a pre Alpha version, it is very sad and disheartening to see Microsoft ignoring the developers.

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Innovate the Xaml Designer, Dawg

This is in regards to the following link and comment:
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2017/09/11/a-significant-update-to-the-xaml-designer/#comment-285146

The high level goal here is to reduce the amount of time and therefore cost in developing highly functional and reliable applications. The primary value in Xaml is that, unlike code and imperative instructions, it is easily parsed by a designer and tooling. Additionally, it lowers the barrier to entry so that a greater number of resources within an organization can utilize and work with it during the lifetime of an application.

The ask here is simple: please start thinking of Xaml as an *application*-definition language, rather than one…

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Duplicate current usercontrol or window to solution/project

Ability to Duplicate(Save As ..) the current editing focused usercontrol or window file/class to the a location within the solution folder either via file > solution > duplicate current xaml or right click context menu command with built in with auto refactor

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. navigate to constructor

When i hit F12 and caret is over constructor then i am navigated to the XAML file of that class (UI class).
    I would like to navigate to code behind, constructor of class.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. navigate to constructor

When i hit F12 and caret is over constructor then i am navigated to the XAML file of that class (UI class).
    I would like to navigate to code behind, constructor of class.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Line Spacing Property for TextBox

I'm missing the line spacing property for the TextBox control. I'm using the TextBox as paragraph element and it is not possible to separate two single line paragraphs with an optically good looking distance

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Make Live Unit Testing available for UWP applications

It would be good if live testing was enabled for UWP applications, so that a similar development environemnt could be set up like NCrunch. Currently there doesn't seem to be a way to include UWP class libraries in externally hosted containers to enable Live Testing from different unit test projects -- or include portable class libraries in a UWP application that could be tested differently.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Autocomplete for custom resources for xaml

It's good that autocomplete work with custom resources, like custom theme resources which we put in another file and like them to app.xaml. Or even autocomplete for key names of resource dictionaries.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Refine error from Xaml-compiler, when event are connected, using "{binding ...}"

In my Xaml-code, i just changed:
    Tapped="{x:bind myControl_Tapped}"
    to:
    Tapped="{binding myControl_Tapped}"
    where it should have been:
    Tapped="myControl_Tapped"

This is of course a very stupid error, but i've just used 3 hours trying to locate this, since the Xaml compiler only gives a very generic message:
    "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
    - WITHOUT a specific location.

Reference to the relevant line, would have made it a lot easier to spot the error!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Please. Visual editor for XAML Xamarin.Forms like to CorelDraw

This is something that has been asking for a long time, please, it's past the time XAML Xamarin.Forms has a complete visual editor, a decent Designer along with an interactive node based editor for animation, events and custom controls creation and realtime test and prototype

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add XAML IntelliSense Filters

I would find it really useful if the IntelliSense suggestions for XAML were filterable like they are in C# and other languages. There should be a filter for all the properties of the object, and then another one for attachable properties. That way, when all you want to deal with is the properties for an object, you don't have to go scrolling through 1000 options just to find a specific one that you forgot the name of.

The pictures show what XAML IntelliSense looks like now, and what it should look like, as it does in C#.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 把壳应用的思想引进到uwp中来

客户机上 保存一个 较小的 库与 运行时(core 库,与core运行时) 然后 从 服务器下载 界面代码,与内容代码,而不必安装到客户机,客户机可以统一缓存 已经浏览过的 程序的界面以便下次打开更快,但这要求 发布都 有自己的 服务器,
    这种做法的好处是:

1,帮助更多的 公司发布壳应用,以起到类似网站的作用,但是,有签于uwp的开发方式与性能方面的可能对比传统网页 更具优势,至少也是一种非常不错的补充。

2,帮助微软自己消费更多的公有云的机会,因为更多的开者为了发布壳应用 需要公有云支持,而paas saas 在azure都做得比较细比较好。

3,帮助客户大量 高粘度的使用uwp而不必安装致使客户机器慢慢变得臃肿。很多东西看了就扔了,完全不必安装。网络时代安装 比较小众化和精品化,而打开与浏览才是大众化的。让个人开发者做精品以给 客户安装的时代已经过去了,更多的人更适合开发的是 基于 服务与内容消费的web应用。

这壳思想所能给uwp带来的,是从silverlight的中得来的思想对uwp的一种 补充。

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add an option to deploy and then run the program automatically on the device the app was deployed to without actually debugging

This would make it so much faster to test apps on devices (especially external ones) when you want to test the app straight away without the need to debug it with Visual Studio.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Enable UWP minize to sytemtray and startup when system startup

Desktop bridge can be done by declartion to do this. So can bring this feature to UWP ?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Time for Some Improved Structuring of XAML

When programming languages began they where structured well enough to deal with the complexities of applications at the time. Then as apps got more sophisticated the existing languages became overwhelmed by the complexity. Thus assembly language programming changed to C which changed to C++ and now to C#. Each of these steps "cleaned up" the mess layered on top of the prior language to help it deal with more sophisticated apps.

XAML has been great, but it's been taking on more and more burden. In response, an improved ability to structure XAML better is needed. Ways to break down huge…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base