Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add a suggestion when renaming a XAML namespace

If I rename a XAML namespace it gives me a suggestion to remove my unised namespace. I'd like a suggestion that updates the name in the XAML file.

For example:
    xmlns:locl="clr-namespace:MyProject.MyLocalNameSpace"
    <locl:MyObject someProperty="{Binding something}"/>

If I correct the spelling of local:
    xmlns:local="clr-namespace:MyProject.MyLocalNameSpace"

I want an option to rename locl to local, just as I would have in a C# file. The goal is to get uses of that namespace to be like this:
    <local:MyObject someProperty="{Binding something}"/>

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add support for UWP API version check/warning

Strongly suggest to add API version check/warning for UWP.

One of the inconvenient scenario is that every time when I use some APIs that only available for certain Windows version, the IDE didn't warn me about it.

For an example, "Window.Current.Compositor" only available since creator update, but the app can compile without error when minimum version is not creator update.

Although this feature already available for XAML, but we need it in C# too.

Plus, it will be nice if visual studio can add the API check code for us.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Sample display of WPF binding

The most dissatisfied part of developing WPF applications in Visual Studio is that in the UI using the binding, nothing is displayed on the visual editor and it is hard to place it. At the very least, I'd like you to display even "this object is bound".

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Collapse XAML Regions by default

A setting to Collapse XAML Regions by default? This would make XAML pages much easier to navigate.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fix the UWP designer errors

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351513/fix-the-uwp-designer-errors.html
    I've been doing XAML for 9 years, but the current status of XAML designer in UWP apps is just terrible. Either remove it completely or make it at least as stable as WPF designer in VS2015.

Things like:

Method not found: Void Windows.UI.Composition.Visual.put_Size(System.Numerics.Vector2)

or COMException: Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.

I haven't met a single UWP developer who wasn't frustrated by the designer always broken

112 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow to create an autonumeric tag

As many of us, former VB6 users, we miss the array controls, and there is a tag property in Windows Forms as UWP or XAML, why don't have a Paste option with a similar name and an autoincremental Tag? That will fix that huge gap for many programmers. Thanks for your consideration.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Expand the Computed Values node by default in the Live Property Explorer window

When debugging XAML code, I use the Live Property Explorer window a lot. I often need to see the ActualHeight and ActualWidth values.

By default, the Computed Values category node is collapsed. If I expand that node, and then select a different XAML element, the node is collapsed again, which is super annoying.

It would be nice of the Computer Values node is expanded by default, or VS should remember its state and keep it expanded when I switch to another XAML element.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. see control property type in XAML editor on mouseover

As I am editing some XAML and lets say I'm not sure if "Background" property on a control is of type Brush vs. Color I cant just put my mouse over it to see the type, instead I have to use peek.

Would be nice to have that in the mouse over info instead of having to use an extra step.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Visual studio 2017: Add support for Windows store 8 projects (Phone & Desktop).

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351484/visual-studio-2017-add-support-for-windows-store-8.html
    add projects support for Windows Store 8.1 and 8.0, and Windows Phone 8.1 and 8.0 in VS 2017 RTM

293 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    17 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Color navigatable binding paths

In the Xaml editor show property paths in binding expressions in a different color when they've been resolved for "Go to definition"/F12 navigation.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow deployment of UWP apps like wpf or forms desktop apps

1: For every minor change in code one should not have to 'stop the app' and 'start the app' as it is far from convenient. Even with very high-end cpu/ssd I have to wait a while for this process, while I can build and run the executable instantly on wpf.

2: Only being able to upload to store is meaningless. Seriously, EVERYONE wants the ability to host the project in their website. Look at MacOS for example. There is bazillion number of apps on MacOS, yet very few of them (comparatively) are on the store.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow to combine XAML and C# simmilar to JSX

I would love to see this (and considering popularity of ReactJS many others as well):

<Button Click={ViewModel.DoSomething} />
    <Button Click={(o, e) => ViewModel.DoSomething} />

<ListBox ItemsSource={ViewModel.Items.Where(....)} />

<StackPanel>
    {ViewModel.Items.Select(item =>
    item.HasData ? <TextBlock Text={item.Name} /> : <Separator />
    }
    </StackPanel>

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Make XAML less verbose

There are many places in XAML, where `ContentPropertyAttribute` would make xaml less verbose.

Most notoric example is Style's Setter.Value.

<Setter Property="Foreground">
    <LinearGradientBrush>...</LinearGradientBrush>
    </Setter>

instead of:
    <Setter Property="Foreground">
    <Setter.Value>
    <LinearGradientBrush>...</LinearGradientBrush>
    </Setter.Value>
    </Setter>

Please, review every class supposed to be instanciated in XAML and add ContentPropertyAttribute if it makes sense.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. xaml calculations in bindings

It is a much work to do a calculated value to bound values while using always a calculator for a mathmatic result.

Would be great to be able to setup calculating expression to provide a value in bindings using xaml like this

<!-- Source -->
    <Slider Minimum="1" Maximum="100" x:Name="Slider1" />
    <Slider Minimum="1" Maximum="10" x:Name="Slider2" />

<!-- Using ->
    <TextBlock Text="{Binding ElementName=Slider1, Path=Value, StringFormat={}1:{1 + {0} / 100}} />

<!-- OR in MultiBinding ->
    <TextBlock>
    <Text>
    <!-- "Format" is a Text
    when Slider1.Value = 50 and Slider1,Value = 2
    it would using 75/100*2, so the TextBlock would show up
    "Format =…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 当uwp打包密钥过期时能自动从商店同步密钥,而我现在需要新建工程编译才会同步密钥很麻烦。

当uwp打包密钥过期时能自动从商店同步密钥,而我现在需要新建工程编译才会同步密钥很麻烦。

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. It would be very helpful if the WPF editor could render ControlTemplates

This would allow us to visually design ControlTemplate

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. visualstateGroup

It would be very useful if the XAML UI could check to make sure that all the VisualStates and VisualStateGroup are valid for the TargetType specified for the style. This would make the transition from previous versions of WinRT to UWP much easier and would also help in those cases when you make a type and are trying to troubleshoot whats going wrong with the UI.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Build a GUI for the Desktop App Converter.

Please build a GUI for the Desktop App Converter as your current command line tool is not clear how to use it.

Or better yet, just allow Desktop Apps to be sold in the Windows Store so you do not have to bother with UWP since I hate XAML.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. please consider some uwp equivalent to system.drawing.region

so many people want this class they just don't know about it. It is so incredibly useful for 2d games. the win2d thing looks nice but I don't see the functions needed to make more dynamic geometry than just drawing basic shapes and lines.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base