Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make XAML intellisense icons colorful.

Please make XAML intellisense icons colorful. There are only black icons. It is hard to distinguish between icons. For examle events are everywhere yellow and only in XAML there are black.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. visualstateGroup

It would be very useful if the XAML UI could check to make sure that all the VisualStates and VisualStateGroup are valid for the TargetType specified for the style. This would make the transition from previous versions of WinRT to UWP much easier and would also help in those cases when you make a type and are trying to troubleshoot whats going wrong with the UI.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Fix GridSplitter to honor grid boundaries

GridSplitter has the unfortunate tendency to push controls outside the visible area when minimum width/height values are defined and the user drags the splitter to the point where the minimum height/width is reached.

Instead, I would expect it to stop at the minimum height/width and stop.

Attached are some screen captures of a grid with a star-sized top row with a minimum height and a fixed-sized bottom row before and after the splitter is dragged to reach the top row's minimum height.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Live xaml editor - Enable value stepping

In the new Live visual tree and property editor, please enable stepping values using the arrow keys. this is very useful for tweaking the UI and something web developers take for granted

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Return All functions to XAML Designer

When you get ALL the functionality in the "XAML Designer" ??? Why did you do it was removed from the release of the product?? Like Microsoft wants the developers wrote the software, well if you break them the tools!?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. In WPF-Development, drag the XAML-Editor into an own Window, same with WPF-Designer

I want to drag the XAML-Editor into an own Window, same with the WPF-Designer

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. splash screen background color picker

add color picker for selecting splash screen background.
    currently i need to use only defined colors by guessing case sensitive color name.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add an option in VS & Blend to create StaticResources instead of DynamicResources in WPF projects

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351796/add-an-option-in-vs-blend-to-create-staticresource.html
    I would love to have an extra setting in which you could tell Visual Studio and Blend to use StaticResources instead of DynamicResources. In WPF projects the tools always uses a DynamicResource in XAML. I would love to use the faster StaticResources as default.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Dont install new Windows SDK while VisualStudio update

if system is running previous version of Windows 10 OS , Installing any visual studio update , it automatically install new version of SDK also , I feel is not required , specially for Enterprise customer

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add SVG as a supported format to the UWP asset generator

The asset generator (used for icons) currently only imports PDF or AI as vector images. Please add SVG support.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow to create an autonumeric tag

As many of us, former VB6 users, we miss the array controls, and there is a tag property in Windows Forms as UWP or XAML, why don't have a Paste option with a similar name and an autoincremental Tag? That will fix that huge gap for many programmers. Thanks for your consideration.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. XAML Boolean Expressions

It would be easier in XAML to do some tasks like hide or show an element if we could use boolean expressions in the bindings. For example to show an TextBox if a list has element with something like: <TextBox isEnabled="myList.length > 0"/>.

Now we have to create a new property and bind it to the textBox is enabled field. In some languages like AngularJS it is really simple: <input ng-show="myList.Length>0"></input>

Thank you

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. navigate to constructor

When i hit F12 and caret is over constructor then i am navigated to the XAML file of that class (UI class).
    I would like to navigate to code behind, constructor of class.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add Rule Set for Accessibility in Code Analysis so checks runs as part of the build.

Visual should embrace accessibility deeper into its IDE and help developers integrate Accessibility standards in their apps. Having a Code Analysis rule that checkes for controls and XAML elements exposing AutomationProperties properly so that the app complies is important, alerting developers or braking the build in case the app is not in good shape. Having tools to verify this during build or post build would be great.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Provide an option to disable hover tooltips for collapsed regions in xaml editor

The tooltip is extremly annoying in xaml files. (I guess in html files as well)
    When navigation with the keyboard, the tooltip often opens and blocks the full screen when the mouse is over a collapsed region.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. please consider some uwp equivalent to system.drawing.region

so many people want this class they just don't know about it. It is so incredibly useful for 2d games. the win2d thing looks nice but I don't see the functions needed to make more dynamic geometry than just drawing basic shapes and lines.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow Single-Line Nested Elements when Reformatting XAML

When Visual Studio 2015 reformats my XAML (which I do not want to have happen without my permission), the part that bothers me the most is when nested elements are split into multiple lines. For example, I may have something like:
    <element1><element2><element3><element4/></element3></element2></element1>
    and it gets reformatted to:
    <element1>
    <element2>
    <element3>
    <element4/>
    </element3>
    </element2>
    </element1>
    This changes this section of my code from 1 line to 7 lines. Even things as small as nesting just 1 level can significantly lengthen your code, not to mention make it much uglier. I would like reformatting to have the option of preserving single-line nesting…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add a suggestion when renaming a XAML namespace

If I rename a XAML namespace it gives me a suggestion to remove my unised namespace. I'd like a suggestion that updates the name in the XAML file.

For example:
    xmlns:locl="clr-namespace:MyProject.MyLocalNameSpace"
    <locl:MyObject someProperty="{Binding something}"/>

If I correct the spelling of local:
    xmlns:local="clr-namespace:MyProject.MyLocalNameSpace"

I want an option to rename locl to local, just as I would have in a C# file. The goal is to get uses of that namespace to be like this:
    <local:MyObject someProperty="{Binding something}"/>

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Make XAML less verbose

There are many places in XAML, where `ContentPropertyAttribute` would make xaml less verbose.

Most notoric example is Style's Setter.Value.

<Setter Property="Foreground">
    <LinearGradientBrush>...</LinearGradientBrush>
    </Setter>

instead of:
    <Setter Property="Foreground">
    <Setter.Value>
    <LinearGradientBrush>...</LinearGradientBrush>
    </Setter.Value>
    </Setter>

Please, review every class supposed to be instanciated in XAML and add ContentPropertyAttribute if it makes sense.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base