Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Hey guys, I contacted Office 365 and asked them if I had to buy an iPhone to run Office 365 mobile, and they told me I did. Wrong. VS doe.

My idea is that you let the Office 365 support people know about Cross-Platform Mobile Development in Visual Studio. They told me I had to buy the actual device to run the Office 365. But you say right here: You can build apps for Android, iOS, and Windows devices by using Visual Studio. As you design your app, use tools in Visual Studio to easily add connected services such as Office 365, Azure App Service, and Application Insights Somebody needs to give them the message.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Hololens and xbox emulators for uwp development

as a UWP developer I need to distribute my uwp app to all windows 10 devices and for that I have to test the app on all devices including Hololens and xbox.
    1. Hololens : There should be emulators per SDK version with the installation of Visual Studio, just like windows Phone Emulators. With clear instructions on how to use the emulator on a PC.
    2. Xbox : For all those developers who dont have xbox one but want to publish uwp apps to xbox, there should be xbox emulators per SDK Version with the VS installation, with support of…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Could you please spare some time taking a look at your templates. None of them works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have tried this **** this whole afternoon and the whole thing I get is a error after one. I haven't changed anything after creating project. There are too many error in the example code!!!!!!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. UWP project does not add service reference to NDFD XML wsdl correctly

Service methods and data types are missing when adding a service reference to http://graphical.weather.gov/xml/DWMLgen/wsdl/ndfdXML.wsdl in a UWP project

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. xaml calculations in bindings

It is a much work to do a calculated value to bound values while using always a calculator for a mathmatic result.

Would be great to be able to setup calculating expression to provide a value in bindings using xaml like this

<!-- Source -->
    <Slider Minimum="1" Maximum="100" x:Name="Slider1" />
    <Slider Minimum="1" Maximum="10" x:Name="Slider2" />

<!-- Using ->
    <TextBlock Text="{Binding ElementName=Slider1, Path=Value, StringFormat={}1:{1 + {0} / 100}} />

<!-- OR in MultiBinding ->
    <TextBlock>
    <Text>
    <!-- "Format" is a Text
    when Slider1.Value = 50 and Slider1,Value = 2
    it would using 75/100*2, so the TextBlock would show up
    "Format =…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Console window with UWP project

There must be a console window with Universal Windows Platform (UWP) project because some of project does not run in debug mode to see System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine("message"); in output. Please be kind and have thought over it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. "XAML Button Wizard" for Visual Studio to Create Style Templates

I think what visual studio needs is a "XAML button Wizard" under "Add To Project" SubMenu. Bascially, what it does is opens a small App that allows you to visually pick the type of button you want to configure from set of stock templates. Example, Round Button, Ellipse Button, 3D Button, glass button, etc..., then when you hit the generate button, the Wizard automatically adds a Resource Dictionary to your project specifically for that One Button Created. Each time you rerun the "Button Wizard", it creates a new XAML Resource Dictionary specifically for that button. Then, its up to the…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. WPFにて容易にWindow Styleを操作できるクラスの要望(WindowChromeの後継クラス)

WPFのウィンドウをカスタマイズする上で、Visual StudioやZuneのような外観を作成するのに苦労をします。
    WindowChromeをベースに編集しても、タイトルバーサイズの調整やMinimized, Maximized, Closeの際のアニメーションなど大掛かりな変更が必要になります。
    そこでWindowsのThemeで設定されている定数を容易にアクセスでき、システムコマンドやアニメーションもデフォルトのクラスを新規に起こしてほしいと願います。

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. my.settings in uwp

there is only path change in my,settings (System.Configuration) to Windows.Storage.ApplicationData.Current.LocalSettings. just implement existing GUI from my.settings to UWp.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Autocomplete for custom resources for xaml

It's good that autocomplete work with custom resources, like custom theme resources which we put in another file and like them to app.xaml. Or even autocomplete for key names of resource dictionaries.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Create Grid on Create Groupbox

When adding the Groupbox control, it is almost always to add a group of controls, every time you have to create a grid or another container to add more than one control. It could automatically create a grid inside the groupbox to be created.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Preview color in XAML editor (text editor, not designer)

Allow to quickly view the Color next to the #FF44EE + add a color picker like the one existing for CSS. Some poeple prefer using the XML editor to edit XAML, and not the designer mode.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Refine error from Xaml-compiler, when event are connected, using "{binding ...}"

In my Xaml-code, i just changed:
    Tapped="{x:bind myControl_Tapped}"
    to:
    Tapped="{binding myControl_Tapped}"
    where it should have been:
    Tapped="myControl_Tapped"

This is of course a very stupid error, but i've just used 3 hours trying to locate this, since the Xaml compiler only gives a very generic message:
    "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
    - WITHOUT a specific location.

Reference to the relevant line, would have made it a lot easier to spot the error!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. VS designer - support WPF visual states

Add support visual states inside visual studio designer similiar to how blend works or used to work. Where you can view a certain state.

Add attribute that allows viewmodel to tag what property that is associated with the view & thus the designer could automatically set it.

d:DataContext="{d:DesignInstance IsDesignTimeCreatable=True, Type={x:Type vm:...ViewModel}}"

private Control view = null;
    [View()]
    public Control View
    {
    get { return this.view; }
    set
    {
    if (this.SetProperty(ref this.view, value))
    {
    this.UpdateVisualState();
    }
    }
    }

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Enable UWP minize to sytemtray and startup when system startup

Desktop bridge can be done by declartion to do this. So can bring this feature to UWP ?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Build UWP application where I should be able to link it without compiling.

Have you seen Google/Samsung wrist watches? Off Couse you did. If you would like to change the interface of the watch you can replace with a fee about $1.00 to $3.00, but those are images. Now we are working on 4K monitors and 8K monitors are available if you want to pay. As resolutions are improving the application interfaces getting smaller and smaller. My desktop clocks are Not images, but vector applications. If someone bought my desktop clock, I want to offer 100+ interfaces. The problem is, UWP doesn’t allow that. If you want to use any library, you must…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. WPF: improve GridView column widths

Please improve the GridView column width.

When using a ListView with a GridView in WPF, getting the right width of the columns is a big pain **********.

Please improve this, add for example: autosize (auto width), fit to content.

I don't understand this has not been added yet after all these years.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Fix initial size of Slider WPF control

Please fix initial size of Slider WPF control after dropping into designer.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Duplicate current usercontrol or window to solution/project

Ability to Duplicate(Save As ..) the current editing focused usercontrol or window file/class to the a location within the solution folder either via file > solution > duplicate current xaml or right click context menu command with built in with auto refactor

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base