Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Implement x:Bind for WPF

Implement x:Bind for WPF

Please implement the x:Bind feature from Universal Windows Apps in WPF.

See http://channel9.msdn.com/events/Build/2015/3-635 for a presentation on x:Bind.

(I just copy this post from https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/427690-windows-presentation-foundation-wpf/suggestions/7810488-implement-x-bind-for-wpf)

We develop a large ERP software with a metadata based generated WPF client. x:Bind would be very important for us.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support 2017 csproj format for WPF

The 2017 csproj format is great to avoid merge conflicts in teams.
    There have been attempts to make it work, and while they do achieve successful compilation and execution, they still have a few downsides, for which the workarounds end up needing more work than resolving merge conflicts:

1. When adding images, fonts, etc to a project, the files are not compiled as Resource by default. This can be worked around by editing the csproj manually and using a pattern to define matching extensions as Resource.

2. The menus do not have shortcuts for creating new user controls, etc. This…

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add support for System.Data.SQLClient in UWP

There are many reasons one would want to connect to an "on prem" SQL Server from a UWP. We have several applications we cannot distribute through the Windows Store because this limitation exists.

UWP are able to connect to other databases such as SQLite or MySQL. Why not allow SQL Server as well?

Please add support for System.Data.SQLClient in UWP.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Error and Stack Trace for XAML Designer errors

If the XAML designer ever experiences a problem with the data context (such as being unable to instantiate the viewmodel), please make that entire exception and stack trace available to me!

I don't want another instance of VS. I don't want to constantly attach and kill xdesproc. I want the tool to say "Hey, exception over here"... log the message, and a stack trace.

Ideally, I'd like to see a full drilldown of the exception, such as the Watch window allows. But the MINIMUM I need is an exception and stack trace.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. WPF Split view - multi screen

When I write XAML code to create a view I can only split the design window two ways - verticaly or horizontaly.
    But many developers are using more than one screen and I think it would be very nice to be able to split this WPF designer into 2 windows.
    So on one screen developer will see just the design window and on the other screen will be the XAML editor with file related to this design view.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Lock XAML Visual Designer from editing

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351333/lock-xaml-visual-designer-from-editing.html
    When I am working on a XAML view, I prefer to edit through the text editor, not the visual designer. This causes some grief if I accidentally click and move and element in the designer and mess up all my hand-coded layouts. However, I still want to see the live updates in the visual designer.
    Please add a way for me to lock down the edit capability of the XAML visual designer so that accidental mouse clicks don't mess up hand-coded layouts. Continue…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Ideal Microsoft Solution for future of Client side app development

Now that Microsoft has acquired Xamarin, which used XAML as base for Xamarin Forms, it is high time, we have one design language across all possible platforms. Despite Xamarin telling all that Xamarin Forms is for prototypes, many have built numerous applications using Xamarin Forms for both consumer and enterprise apps, for simple reason of sharing UI and Code across platforms. Only thing XAML hasn't touched so far is HTML generation. There was iFactr which was doing it, but I think after acquisition by Zebra, they stopped that. Doing that won't be much of an issue. Having mobile web app…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add support for UWP API version check/warning

Strongly suggest to add API version check/warning for UWP.

One of the inconvenient scenario is that every time when I use some APIs that only available for certain Windows version, the IDE didn't warn me about it.

For an example, "Window.Current.Compositor" only available since creator update, but the app can compile without error when minimum version is not creator update.

Although this feature already available for XAML, but we need it in C# too.

Plus, it will be nice if visual studio can add the API check code for us.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Enable design-time bindings to work with Compiled Bindings

Compiled bindings are great, but they aren't compatible (so it seems) with the Blend design-time syntax ({d:DataContext...).

This makes it impossible to combine the performance benefits with compiled bindings with the ease of having design-time data. You have to either choose the older binding syntax or no design-time data.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add YUV formats for WriteableBitmap/InteropBitmap

We want YUV -> RGB hardware accelerated (GPU) conversion to display video more efficient.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Support XAML Code Snippets inside the IntelliSense dropdown, not only using the contextmenu

I would love to have my XAML Code Snippets inside the IntelliSense dropdown when I edit XAML. Just type the first few characters of the name and hit the TAB key. This would make using these code snippets much easier. This would be the same as the C#, XML or JS code snippets.

Currently you have to insert them using the XAML editor context menu. This is not a great UX.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. provide a way for WPF applications to easily hide their windows from ALT+Tab

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351728/provide-a-way-for-wpf-applications-to-easily-hide.html
    Currently, there is ShowInTaskbar=false you can do to hide your window from the task bar, but in order to hide a window from ALT+Tab, you must do that and change the WindowStyle=ToolWindow. I don't like ToolWindow generally, and it does not maximize properly which makes it undesirable for end-users.

There should be a ShowInTaskView=false or something to that effect for me to control that indvidually, or at least publish something that shows what the proper user32.dll call is so we can do it…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. designer reload button

Add a button to force designer to reload all the xaml and the last reload Timespan. Sometime the designer don't update itself and force us to rebuild all the project...

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Make WPF Designer as good as WinForms

Before adding new features to WPF I'd like to see WPF Designed ("Cider") support to be as good, mature and feature complete as the WinForms designer. For example, creating ToolBars in WPF is practically impossible using the Designer. Also creating simple image buttons requires a lot of manual steps for adding mouse over effects and drawing disabled images.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. DEP0001 error needs more information.

When I try to deploy my solution, my code is failing with a DEP0001 error (0x80073CF6) and there is NOTHING ELSE to go on. Search around and you will find LOTS of people are trying LOTS of possibilities but nothing definite. There should be a log entry, or error text in the Output window, something...ANYTHING to guide Joe User to the actual problem. This is a huge hole in VS and I'm sorry to say I'm stuck in it.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Provide XAML Color Visualizer within Visual Studio & Blend

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351405/provide-xaml-color-visualizer-within-visual-studio.html
    Provide a XAML color visualizer when a user hovers the mouse over a XAML color such as #FF15CC42 or SystemControlBackgroundBaseLowBrush etc.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Support Ribbon for WPF

Please provide more customization support for Ribbon Design for WPF.
    AT least provide Outlook 2016 style by default for Ribbon API.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Update WPF to support the latest Unicode version (10.0.0)

It looks like the latest version of WPF only supports characters up to the Unicode 7.0 specification that was released on 2014-07-16: http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode7.0.0/

That was over 3 years ago. The latest Unicode specification is 10.0.0 and was released on 2017-07-20: http://unicode.org/versions/Unicode10.0.0/

It would be nice if WPF could be updated to support the latest version of Unicode. Right now there are a lot of characters, especially emojis, that don't get rendered properly and just appear as rectangles.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add XAML IntelliSense Filters

I would find it really useful if the IntelliSense suggestions for XAML were filterable like they are in C# and other languages. There should be a filter for all the properties of the object, and then another one for attachable properties. That way, when all you want to deal with is the properties for an object, you don't have to go scrolling through 1000 options just to find a specific one that you forgot the name of.

The pictures show what XAML IntelliSense looks like now, and what it should look like, as it does in C#.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Xaml nullable properties

Please allow the possiblity of nullable properties in all XAML and not only WPF.

I don't know what the mobile team did with XAML, but it is rather butchered.

I would like to do something simple as this without getting an annoying error like "Cannot assign to nullable type on Property X":
    <ControlX Value="0" />

Where the ControlX has a property like this:

public static readonly DependencyProperty ValueProperty = DependencyProperty.Register("Value", typeof(int?), typeof(ControlX),null);

public int? Value
    {
    get
    {
    return (int?)this.GetValue(ValueProperty);
    }
    set
    {
    this.SetValue(ValueProperty, value);
    }
    }

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base