Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Liscence PSoC IDE from Cypress Semicondutor to create UWP app with VB6 syntax as backend

I code for micro controllers and also create GUI in UWP. With each passing year I feel coding for PC is taking more effort while coding for the embedded systems is becoming more easy.

PSoC IDE from Cypress Semiconductor is a revolutionary idea for coding micro controllers. But the irony is a Text based IDE like Arduino is more popular than the PSoC idea. The Arduino IDE hides under the hood all aspects of the microcontroller, while the PSoC IDE exposes every single aspect of the micro controller with graphics to make life easy for the embedded developer.

I see…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Expand the Computed Values node by default in the Live Property Explorer window

When debugging XAML code, I use the Live Property Explorer window a lot. I often need to see the ActualHeight and ActualWidth values.

By default, the Computed Values category node is collapsed. If I expand that node, and then select a different XAML element, the node is collapsed again, which is super annoying.

It would be nice of the Computer Values node is expanded by default, or VS should remember its state and keep it expanded when I switch to another XAML element.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. provide better design time support for WPF

I am a devoted user of WinForms' technology, I recently started to develop in WPF 4 and I noticed that my productivity is lowered into creating GUI even banal.
    The Visual Studio designer for WPF can not even remotely stand comparison with WinFroms one, so there are tons of XAML to write by hand.
    In the visual studio designer certainly less functional part is the PropertyGrid that can not be of help if not to set the boolean fields.
    I hope that the next version of VS there is a much better designer

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. is UWP alive or dead? Windows 10 programers confused as heck...

I got to say, Microsoft has everybody confused as heck... they kill off windows Mobile... but the Windows 10 programming books on the market still push UWP... so you download the code examples off of docs.microsoft.com and they want you to install a Windows Phone emulator just to run the sample code... WTF Microsoft? you people are confusing the **** out of the public... I look and I see that Microsoft's team is converting Control people into a UWP application, yet the outward signs from their document website is that UWP is shutdown because it based on windows mobile emulator…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Create UWP app with Small Basic

I am reposting a idea proposed in 2013 which did not get a second vote:

If Bill Gates was watching he would have voted a million times for this idea.
    If this was done in 2013 when Original Poster (OP) disclosed, Lumia would not have died and M$ would not have incurred the millions of dollar loss.
    OP is a visionary and I am opening it again.

--- original post ----
    MS Small Basic is an excellent language
    inspired by our old Basic
    I trained with him young people from 16/17 years in the secondary
    It allows to understand the…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Non-Responsive Design View

The design view in Visual Studio has become so slow as to be almost obsolete.
    Originally I was bewildered by the inevitable 'Not Responding' message, as I'm working on a top range Surface Pro 3.

Killing every other process not required has made no difference.

I even briefly installed Visual Studio on a research PC for high performance computing, with 920 I7 processors, and even it hangs!

I've now spent days researching how to resolve this, and have made one very interesting discovery: I am one of the very few people who still use Design Mode in Visual Studio, as…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. I need no crome on vector application

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351690/i-need-no-crome-on-vector-application.html
    I have some controls (for example small desktop clock) which I build with vectors. I don't need any title bar. I don't need window frame. I just want to enlarge my application by dragging bottom right corner. I provided you the sample, compile it and run it.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Line Spacing Property for TextBox

I'm missing the line spacing property for the TextBox control. I'm using the TextBox as paragraph element and it is not possible to separate two single line paragraphs with an optically good looking distance

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. XAML designer readonly option

The XAML designer should have a toggle that prevents auto inserting properties into the XAML code. I would still like to be able to jump to the selected control when clicking on it in the designer.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. WPF - Allow 'or' statements in triggers

Something as simple as being able to make one trigger with a bunch of bindings or properties to look at where any one of them returning a value that corresponds with the one defined in the trigger would drastically cut down on chaff code when making triggers.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 把壳应用的思想引进到uwp中来

客户机上 保存一个 较小的 库与 运行时(core 库,与core运行时) 然后 从 服务器下载 界面代码,与内容代码,而不必安装到客户机,客户机可以统一缓存 已经浏览过的 程序的界面以便下次打开更快,但这要求 发布都 有自己的 服务器,
    这种做法的好处是:

1,帮助更多的 公司发布壳应用,以起到类似网站的作用,但是,有签于uwp的开发方式与性能方面的可能对比传统网页 更具优势,至少也是一种非常不错的补充。

2,帮助微软自己消费更多的公有云的机会,因为更多的开者为了发布壳应用 需要公有云支持,而paas saas 在azure都做得比较细比较好。

3,帮助客户大量 高粘度的使用uwp而不必安装致使客户机器慢慢变得臃肿。很多东西看了就扔了,完全不必安装。网络时代安装 比较小众化和精品化,而打开与浏览才是大众化的。让个人开发者做精品以给 客户安装的时代已经过去了,更多的人更适合开发的是 基于 服务与内容消费的web应用。

这壳思想所能给uwp带来的,是从silverlight的中得来的思想对uwp的一种 补充。

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Cannot move MainWindow screen to the upper left corner or make it to the full screen in the XMAL designer editor

The MainWindow screen default display at the center of the XAML designer editor and we cannot move it the upper left corner to make it as display all content or make it to full screen, we need to roll the vertical or horizontal scroll bar to see some area which no display at the default XAML display field

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add an option to deploy and then run the program automatically on the device the app was deployed to without actually debugging

This would make it so much faster to test apps on devices (especially external ones) when you want to test the app straight away without the need to debug it with Visual Studio.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Visual Studio 2017, when in the WPF XAML, an object property is bound to an UI control, the reference link on the class is missing

In Visual Studio 2017, all editions, when, in the WPF XAML, an object property is bound to a UI XAML control, the reference link on the class source code should reflect this 1 reference in the reference count above the property and the link to that reference could point to the XAML element/control.

Typically, each binding has these four components: a binding target object, a target property, a binding source, and a path to the value in the binding source to use.
    For example, if you want to bind the content of a TextBox to the Name property of an…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Hopefully support all the calendars in (WPF)..Urgent

Hi
    When writing the following code in (WPF) does not accept an error

<DatePicker CalendarIdentifier="UmAlQuraCalendar" />

It turns out that the “DatePicker” supports only the Gregorian calendar.

Hopefully support all the calendars in (WPF)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Extend xml:space to support "remove" for TextBlock and RichTextBlock Run Collections

This is an extremely easy and non-breaking way to solve the long-running problem of undesired spaced between <Run> elements in a <Run> collection. Not having inner text between the <Run> elements in the XAML source doesn't really work because generally we want the XAML editor to support reformatting by nicely breaking <Run> elements onto separate lines. Extending xml:space to support "remove" means existing code will not be broken, but developers can add the tag to instruct the parser to discard the entire inner text if it is all whitespace. If MS is worried about a conflict with possible future XML…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Migrate PivotViewer Control For Big Data to UWP/WPF LOB

Being a Silverlight developer since 2009, the advent of Silverlight PivotViewer Control shifting the handling of large datasets giving a way of filtering and analyzing large volumes of data. With the advent of Big Data I believe the SeaDragon PivotViewer lastest binaries should be brought over to WPF/UWP apps as are well needed tool.

http://seajax.github.io/ - Jog the memory of what it is see the link.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Make it possible to edit MediaTransportControls visually in Blend and Visual Studio

Currently to customize the MediaTransportControls, we have to copy the style from General.xaml from the SDK. Trying to "Edit a Copy" of the style of MTC results in an error, and copying and referencing the style by Key does not allow us to edit the style within the editor.

The current workaround is as described above, to copy the style and edit it in XAML, but without the power of Blend / VS.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. no universal app template

I just installed Visual Studio 2015 in my Windows 8.1 environment. There is no Windows Universal App template installed and I could not find the template online.

I understand we were to be able to create Windows Universal Apps in Windows 8.1 with limited development capabilities.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Could you please let me know what you selected in the installation settings? You need to make sure you select the Windows Development Tools.

When you install, if you select “Custom” and then choose the “Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.0/8.1 Tools” checkbox, you should see the Windows 8.1 Universal templates.

Daniel Jacobson
    Program Manager, Visual Studio XAML Experiences Team

Feedback and Knowledge Base