Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add an option to use pre/post deployment scripts in SQL Server Data Tools' Schema Compare Generate Scripts function.

After a schema compare is performed, I would like to be able to click the generate script button and have the script to include the pre and post deploy scripts included in the output. (Much like how a full publish works.)

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. create a flag for 'continue on error'

When this flag is true, DB project would run all scripts and, after that, summarize with something like this:
    10 scripts: success
    2 scripts: error

If errors were found, a new script with the scripts with error would be created for correction

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. design db quickly

when design the db,we hope input the field description quickly,like the field name,field type and so on

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

4. TSQL Project, Editor, Code File Management, Compare Results, etc.

I hope this is low hanging fruit that has a big impact on improving people's lives. SSDT is great. But I also need to be able to support Production. I need a VS Project that can hold TSQL queries that I'm using to research the issues and treat as a library of TSQL Code that helps me identify and resolve issues. The reason I want to use VS instead of SSMS is because of the extensive improvements with the editor that allow me to quickly go through a lot of SQL that I'm not familar with. The highlighting, find and…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Create a simple database project for those that only want to save files to source control

I prefer to create my deployment scripts with a SQL Compare tool. For development, I just want to be able to check my code into some source control. I essentially want a project similar to SSMS projects. The current database projects in Visual Studio is way to complicated for my scenario. I currently use the blank C++ project for my database work. I would like to see multiple database project templates and one of them match a basic SSMS style project.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. allow for an option to connect to a database present in the webserver from a visual basic application

See i need an application which can connect to a database present in the web server in java using swing i dont know how to do it i need to know if it is possible in .net

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Ability to delay verification of synchronization between model and source files.

Hi,
    Each time I open my database project, Visual studio runs a heavy process of verification of synchronization between model and source files.

Message in status bar says "Verifying your model is synchronized with your source files. Your database projects will be ready after XXXX operations are competed"

If we can have an option to delay this at build time, this can improve resource utilization on developer machine.

As, I have around 15k files in DB project this process takes a long time.

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we havenÕt acted on it. Looking at the VS Ò15Ó plans, weÕre not going to take action on this item, so weÕre going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if thereÕs another suggestion thatÕs similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

8. How about having a (code behind) for SSRS reports.

I would like to be able to see all the expressions in a report at the same time. Would really speed up development time. Also bring intellisense to Report Bulder. Great job on that by the way.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. SSDT: Provide "add\existing item" solution explorer context menu.

I should be able to add an existing sql file via the solution explorer context menu.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Matrix control support pagination method for columns/rows.

eg. every 4 columns * 5 rows per page. At the same time allow adding multiple title/header rows for the matrix. They are more usefull when there are more then 2 dimensions in the matrix. we can promote one of the row filed dimension info to the title/header level to explain some common information for the column fields and repeat the header dimension info on each paginated page.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Systematic Approach to MS SQL Server Database Recovery Process

The DBA Needs to follow different approach to manage secure and protect their SQL Server database. The generalization of the whole process is elaborated to Check, Repair and Restore the MS SQL data.

Database Integrity check: The MS SQL Server’s stored procedure “DatabaseIntegrityCheck” should be performed on regular interval of time to check database corruption issues. To check the database integrity of all users, executive the following code:

EXECUTE dbo.DatabaseIntegrityCheck
    @Databases = 'USER_DATABASES',
    @CheckCommands = 'CHECKDB'

Backup Planning: Use DatabaseBackup stored procedure for the purpose of backing up your database securely to the desired location. The following method will create…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow users to print a Tabular Model when it is displayed in Diagram View

Allow users to print the Tabular Model when it is displayed in the "Diagram View". Seem very strange you cannot print this view

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we havenÕt acted on it. Looking at the VS Ò15Ó plans, weÕre not going to take action on this item, so weÕre going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if thereÕs another suggestion thatÕs similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

13. Native barcode report item/support for SSRS RDLC/RDL Designer

Almost everyone reporting tools have barcode support itselft. Why SSRS use thrid party ones. We don't want to switch to other reporting tools because labsent of this. We also don't want to buy any third party barcode tools. We have payed so high price for visual studio. Why cannot get barcode support.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add "Ignore users" option when publishing SSDT project

You need to add an "Ignore users" option when publishing Sql Server Data Tools projects. You have this option on import. The ideal solution would be to reuse the same include/exclude objects dialog from import.

This is a major problem for us, and obviously for more than us: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/aa87ac52-d7b1-40e3-b6d0-063472b127df/how-to-ignore-users-in-vs-11-sql-server-database-project-publish?forum=vstsdb

Regards,

Morten

87 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

15. Add comments to SSIS packages in BIDS

I'd love to be abe to attach a comment bubble to a Control Flow or Data Flow step to explain to the next developer what the **** I'm doing. :-) I know that there are already Annotations on the design surface... what I want is either: 1) to be able to draw a line between an annotation and a Control Flow/Data Flow step; or 2) to be able to right-click a step and click on "Add Comment" something like Office has, and then be able to show/hide comments on the design surface. Thanks!

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

16. Sort included files in .sqlproj files to simplfy branch merges

New files are icluded in database projects on each TFS branches. Later, all merges are very difficult and we have each time visible errors to fix (with each time a big time loss) and other invisible errors that we don't see until problems occurs in Production ! (for example, objects not included in build or scripts not included in a post-deployment).

A simple way to resolve all theses problems would be to sort alphabetically included files to get the same changes on each branches.

Thanks.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

17. I need a beautifier for T-SQL code. There is a feature in SSMS but it makes T-SQL code look worse.

I need a beautifier for T-SQL code.
    There is a feature in SSMS called Design Query in Editor,
    but it makes T-SQL code look worse.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. SqlServer Compact Integrated With SSDT

Please integrated sql server compact in visual studio 2013 with sql server data tools(ssdt) to modify sql server compact, with one tools manipulate all sql server and sql server compact databases.

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

19. reportviewer direct print function to printer for example sales bill

reportviewer direct print function to printer for example sales bill

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

20. SSRS Add radius corners to text boxes

This is a basic thing.. A report (a set of five actually) that re-produced an existing form took at least 4x time to do because all the boxes had to be drawn in a graphics program then imported into rectangles. Rectangles because i needed to put textbox's overlaying the graphics. What a pain!!

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Feedback and Knowledge Base