Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Visual Studio Express 2012 Web To Explicitly Support Azure SQL Servers

Seems the subject support would assist users and increase sales for the Azure services. Currently VS Express 2012 Web does not show an option for connecting to an Azure SQL Server by default.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.
    - The Visual Studio Team

2. Where's the Data Compare?????

How about you get Data Compare working again for SQL 2012 databases. Can't believe you would forget one of the two core peices when updating SQL.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow auto-layout in ADO.Net Entity Model Designer to be disabled

Much as I love ADO.Net Entity Data Model Designer (VS2010), one feature is making me INSANE.

When initially putting together a complex data model, it's perfectly fine (and desirable) that Designer figures out on its own where the lines delineating associations are placed. However, eventually, I wind up meticulously placing those lines myself for the sake of readability.

But if I finish my painstaking layout, and then decide to, say, add a property to an existing entity, Designer redoes my entire layout, or at least every association line that leads to or from that entity.

It's the definition of frustrating.…

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.
    - The Visual Studio Team

4. Have SSRS focus only on the current report when previewing.

When previewing a report in SSRS, the entire project is built causing extraneous errors to pop up from other reports that may be still in the design stage, errors that have nothing to do with the report being previewed.

Further, I presume - as preview automatically SAVES a report when it is previewed, that all those other reports in a project are being saved as well, when any one of them is previewed, even if those reports are being worked on by others.

Suppose the other reports are not ready to be saved, yet? The system does so anyway and…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Context menu "Designer" and "Dokumentgliederung"

mark a Object in "Designer"(SSRS Reports) and open the context menu i get some options.
    I want the same options if i Open the context menu in "Dokumentgliederung".

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Allow to generate deployment(comparison) script in non-SQLCMD mode

In VS-2012 SP1 when we generate deployment script , we need to turn on SQLCMD mode on SSMS before we can run the script.

Would like to have an option to generate the scripts in basic sql formate which can be run on SSMS directly.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

7. Allow ALTER statement for files in DB project

Currently when we make a change to a single object such as stored procedure,view, function , trigger we need to switch the CREATE statement to ALTER, apply the change and then switch back the ALTER to CREATE. Failure to do so results in an error "SQL03070: The statement is not recognized in this context". This causes build to fail. The ALTER at the beginning should be allowed atleast for objects that frequently modified such as stored procedures, views, triggers and functions.

We would like to enourage a practice where developers can check out the object from the DB project inTFS,…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add MVC Razor view support for ssrs report viewer

Add MVC Razor support to the Report View package

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

9. Text Justified in Reporting Services VS2008

When i créate a reporting services proyect and add a textbox the opción to format the text is not content justified text!!!!! is a bug? you have a powerfull reason to supress this useful funtion????

Best Regards

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Allow three part naming for referring a DB object in same database project

Many developers have a preference to consistently use database qualified object naming. Currently using three part naming [databasename].[schemaname].[objectname] for referring an object in same DB project results in a error/warning in Visual Studio. This is is allowed in SQL server, so it makes sense for add functionality in Visual Studio to have an implicit reference to the same database project and not generate any errors/warning in such situations.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

11. SSRS Reports for MVC View

Isn't a Report a type of view? My idea would be to have a version of SSRS report designer specific for ASP.Net MVC. In your MVC project, you right click the view folder and select Add Report, and report designer would appear. The Report would simply be an MVC view. And the designer would map report fields to models.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

12. 5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add a data sample size as an optional setting in Configuration Manager for SSAS Tabular

When working with large tables in SSAS Tabular (as it is not always possible to develop on a sample of prod data), I am forced to use a hard coded filter (eg TOP n) in my source query to avoid sucking all data into my model at design time I then have to modify the partition query(s) post deployment meaning whats in my solution doesnt match the code on the server. To alleviate this work around, if an optional sample size setting were able to be configured in the Configuration Manager it could be set to filter a top "n"…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

14. "A MUST " Create tab view for Query Designer in BIDS

"A MUST " Create tab view for Query Designer -Visual Studio 2008 Version 9 Business Intelligience Designer. submitted by Sandy Payton DBA

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add BIDS to Visual Studio 2012

It is annoying switching back and forth from Report Builder to visual Studio, plus Report Builder is not as complete as Reporting services in VS 2008 was, and too much trouble to make reports work in a VB application.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

16. Update SQLserver 2012 Data Tool to be an extension

With VS2008 and SQLserver 2008 it was possible to install BIDS as a component of the full VS2008 installation. When VS2010 came along, you had to run VS2010 for most development, but needed a VS2008 shell for BIDS. Now VS2012 is current, SQLserver 2012 uses a VS2010 shell. Since Visial Studio allows extensions, why isn't the BIDS/SSDT compnent developed as an extension - albeit a complex one?

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

17. I would like that changed values of attributes (so that they are not default anymore) get a different background color (light blue or so).

Since there are so many attributes and values in SQL Server (Management Studio Table options), SSRS, SSAS, SSIS, Visual Studio it would be convenient to see when they have been changed. So when the value is not a default value anymore pleas change to background color of that value.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

18. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. CRYSTAL REPORTS FOR VS 2012 IS A MUST!!!! WE NEED IT!!!!

How we are supposed to migrate to Vs 2012 our apps built in vs2008 without reporting features?

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

20. Database Project Loading Slow

Database Project Loading slow. If in single solution file containg more than 10 project the loading time appox 30-45 minutes. Some time database Project crash. Whats the root cause ???

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

Feedback and Knowledge Base