Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. add an rss feed to the visual studio gallery

The gallery used to have a feed that I followed so I could get notified when new extensions were added. That feed if gone now. Please bring it back!

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    closed  ·  0 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow configuring R Tools for Visual Studio to use 32bit R even on 64bit Windows

Some tools for R are available only for the 32bit version of R. so being able to use 32bit R from R Tools for Visual Studio even on 64bit Windows would be useful.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Add support for Atlassian Bitbucket like Github.

Add support for Atlassian Bitbucket like Github.

It needs to add a plugin that supports the Atlassian Bitbucket, just as there is support Github.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks so much for the feedback. We’re closing this suggestion because it’s really a question for Atlassian. The good news is that we support Git-based source code control mechanisms already out of the box, so you should be able to directly work with a Bitbucket repo; but a tailored Atlassian experience would really have to come from them.

Best wishes,

Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

6. vision

What's the most method to found a good vision?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    closed  ·  0 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Please add a blog article on how to write a light bulb extension to interact with C++

I'd like to write a C++ lightbuilb extension written in C# but to analyze C++, of course it would be great if we could get to the AST tree but at present I'd be happy to just be able to write something that would look at the text of my C++ in the editor

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Distribute Visual Studio SDK as a NuGet package

If I write a Visual Studio extension and want to make it so I can build it on a Build Server, here's what I currently have to do...
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/aaronmar/archive/2011/05/10/visual-studio-extensions-and-build-servers.aspx

Surely a NuGet package could make this more bareable.

P.S. Would be great if the package was made for VS2010 SDK not just the latest version, as many developers will be building against that SDK so the extension can be used on 2010, 2012, and 2013.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Support creating Visual Studio extensions for earlier VS versions

Right now one has to have Visual Studio 2010 installed to create a new extension, which would work on it (or do lots of trickery).

It would be much better if VS Package wizard would ask for minimum target version, or determine it automatically based on target framework version.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add Extension SDK Tooling

VS Extension SDKs are a great way of packaging up components, specially with company internal components, native DLLs and also closed sourced (read: paid and/or licensed) SDKs.

They also add a great benefit of consumers of the Extension SDK to easily "Add Reference..." within the VS IDE, making it simple to add these package references, no matter the project type.

1.) It's unfortunate that Extension SDKs have to be created by hand and is very error prone and tedious. It would be very helpful to automatically package up Extension SDKs within a GUI in the IDE.

2.) Also, creating these…

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion.

Going forward, our plan for VS “15” and beyond is to quickly address limitations that VS today has around enabling a similar scenario using Nuget. We believe that enabling this support would give users the best of both worlds – an easy way to distribute packages/code, and at the same time all of the Visual Studio tools would end up respecting functionality that today is exclusively supported only by Extension SDKs (for example, designer toolbox, version targeting for Windows SDK, etc.). We are maintaining the specification for that part below, and would love to hear more on what additional parts are missing to bridge the gap:

https://github.com/NuGet/Home/wiki/Converting-Extension-SDKs-into-NuGet-Packages

- The Visual Studio Team

11. add support for intellisense and syntax coloring for .t4 files

.t4 files are very useful, especially with the asp.net scaffolders template you find in sidewaffle, but not very easy to use without intellisense and coloring.
    Add the support may be of great help.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we havenÕt acted on it. Looking at the VS Ò15Ó plans, weÕre not going to take action on this item, so weÕre going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if thereÕs another suggestion thatÕs similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

12. Add ability to ignore updates for individual Extensions and Updates

I have a number of extensions installed, and want them to be kept up to date. As such I don't want to "Disable automatic detection of available updates".

However, I have one extension that I do not want to update (Visual Assist X). I bought a licence for it, and am repeatedly prompted to update to a later version. My licence does not cover this later version - updating will move me onto a free trial for a limited period.

I'd like to be able to right click on the update and say "ignore this update" - like I can…

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we havenÕt acted on it. Looking at the VS Ò15Ó plans, weÕre not going to take action on this item, so weÕre going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if thereÕs another suggestion thatÕs similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

13. Add IntegratedShell as a target SKU for the TFS Git Extension provider VSIX

The TFS Git Provider for Visual Studio 2012 does not allow installation on the IntegratedShell SKU (notably, SSDTBI for SQL Server 2012 and 2014 are still the VS2012 IntegratedShell).

The VSIX should be updated to support the installation scenario where only VS2012 IntegratedShell is installed on the machine, both for SSIS-only developers to integrate into a TFS 2012/Git shop and developers using VS2013 and SSDTBI.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

14. Please insert a koding application add-in in visual studio.

Please insert a koding application add-in in visual studio? Look at
    https://koding.com/ for more info.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

15. Include Managed Package Framework for Projects (MPF) in Visual Studio SDK

Today, there´s the Visual Studio SDK shipping with some project templates which can be used to create Visual Studio extensions, but not all resources are included in the SDK. For instance, if one would like to create a custom project system using C# or VB.NET the Managed Package Framework is required... this library (or at least the code) is available as a separate download at Codeplex. It would be nice, if that resource would also be part of the SDK, or available on Nuget...

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

16. Display plugins/addons memory usage

It's possible to see the memory usage of different add-ons in Firefox using `about:addons-memory` command. It would be great if we could have it in VS.NET too. Also having the `help menu -> restart with add-ons disabled` option would be handy (instead of using the command promept).

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add some plugin/option to be able generate trx-files in VS2012

It's blocking for your team to switch VS2010 to VS2012. We have difficult solution structure and it's very hard to run required feature-files from command line. We need to get trx-files using MSTest and VS IDE.
    Thanks.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Windows Internet Explorer uable set

Windows Internet Explorer, Unable to set property "innerHTML" of underfined or null reference.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since it’s been around for some time and not attracted many votes, we are not including it in our plans at present, so I’m closing the item out to return your votes to you.

Thanks
    Paul Chapman
    Visual Studio Program Manager

19. add support for empty struct initialisers in C99

Both clang and GCC support the non-standard C99 extension of empty initialisers for structs, now that VS 2013 supports C99 and introduces compound struct initlialisers I feel this would be a handy extension, a lot of my existing C code that is compiled on both Clang and GCC still doesn't compile on visual studio, the C99 additions partially solved this, but empty initialisers are the last part that is missing.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

20. Link codeplex project to test projects in visualstudio.com

Sale test framework for an open source application is a good vector of funding open source projects.
    It's not possible to industrialize open source projects directly from codeplex because all tfs features are not activated.
    So, I think you could think about designing a bridge between codeplex solutions and visualstudio.com that allow to test build and deploy from visualstudio.com and keep the main project in codeplex.
    You also could create a kind of market place for that.
    The open source developer creates his project in codeplex
    He industrialize it in visualstudio.com then, when the project is ready
    He can decide…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base