Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support Microsoft Fakes on .NET Core

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351467/support-microsoft-fakes-on-net-core.html
    Microsoft Fakes is powerful function for testing. Please provide support to use Microsoft Fakes Stub/Shim context in .NET Core test project.

367 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    8 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Group by Traits in Test Explorer should not group by Description attribute

A lot of our unit tests are annotated with DescriptionAttribute. In the test explorer, grouping by trait did not group tests by this attribute but something changed recently after which tests are getting grouped by description as well. Description is pretty much unique to each test and grouping by it does not make any sense. To make matters worse, now my Test Explorer is a very long list and I have to scroll a lot to go to my desired trait passing through a sea of Description traits. Ask is to remove DescriptionAttribute from the list of group-by eligible attributes.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enable ordered test support for MSTest V2 framework based tests

Enable ordered test support for MSTest V2 framework based tests.

252 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add test outcome to Queries

Outcome can't be queried on nor can it be output as a column in the results. With Team Services only having lightweight charts, I need the outcome to manually build reports in Excel.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Test Explorer Font should be Fixed Width

Change the Test Output Standard Output to a fixed width font

For data-oriented output (like strings), alignment is critical

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Enable IntelliTest to generate tests for .NET Core projects

Please extend IntelliTest to generate tests for .NET Core projects.

238 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. There needs to be option in CodedUI Test to avoid taking screenshot on TestFailures

There needs to be an option in CodedUI Test to avoid taking screenshot on Test Failures .

Taking Screenshot can lead to large amount of data. Programmers may need their own infrastructure to handle test failures . Taking of screen shot may be already part of it. When coded UI test are run in combination with non coded UI Test, the default screen shot taken by Coded UI framework increases the test run result size.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Easy means of refreshing tests in Test explorer

One frustrating experience I am having is that test explorer doesn't identify a new test or test project I included in the project. Could you make it easier to refresh by including a refresh button or similar functionality.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow Test Explorer To export test results

When running tests in Test Explorer, there doesn't appear to be a way to export these results. This would be useful in order to share failed test results with fellow team members. Ability to export to trx would be wonderful. I know this can be accomplished via commandline, but running from commandline is a rather clunky solution, especially if you want to re-run failed test.

513 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    20 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Eliminate non-exceptional exceptions when debugging unit tests

Unit tests take a long time to start when debugging. Additionally, if Just My Code is turned off and all exceptions are set to Break on Throw, the debugger stops at several exceptions unrelated to the code being tested.

Eliminating exceptions that are thrown and caught in the course of normal, non-failing unit testing would help on both the speed and anti-noise fronts (throwing and catching exceptions is very expensive computationally and even worse if it distracts a developer). Since turning off Just My Code and breaking on all exceptions is often helpful to getting to the root of bugs…

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Support Spec Explorer in Visual Studio 2015

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351408/support-spec-explorer-in-visual-studio-2015.html
    Spec Explorer is a masterpiece for testing requirements:
    It is closest to the best general known way of defining requirements ( thanks to abstract state machines) in a language you master using a very rich object-object oriented architecture!
    Please make it work with Visual Studio 2015.

223 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  11 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow to turn off the LOG TRUNCATED feature of the test runner output

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32320218/vs2015-log-truncated-in-test-runner-output

In the test runner that comes with Visual Studio you can do a number of Console.WriteLine statements in you test method and those messages will be written to the Output window of the test. I've used that extensively in VS2013. Unfortunately in VS2015 I only see a little over a page of text in the test's Output before I see the message

!!! LOG TRUNCATED !!! To get complete log, Select 'Copy All' on the Right Click Menu and then paste into some text editor like notepad".

The message is very clear what VS2015 is doing and how to…

153 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Make IntelliTest available to Visual Studio Professional

In Visual Studio 2015 IntelliTest are a fantastic idea!
    Restricting it to Visual Studio Ultimate is not a good news. Please make it available to more users.

681 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    31 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Enable IntelliTest to run in the build pipeline

Run IntellIiTest in the build pipeline to explore new code and generate/evolve unit tests.

58 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Make Fakes available with Visual Studio Professional Subscription

Fakes and Shims are only useful if every developer in the team is able to use it to enhance their unit tests. Limiting its availability to just Architects and Senior developers (who usually have Premium or Ultimate level subscriptions) sounds like such a bad idea. This is killing the power of such potentially amazing tool! Please consider this.

Thanks.

102 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. support Spec Explorer in Visual Studio 2013

Spec Explorer 2010, a model-based testing tool extension is supported in Visual Studio 2010/2012, this suggestion is to make it work with Visual Studio 2013.

440 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    29 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Show test description (DescriptionAttribute) in Test Explorer

Unit tests can have a useful Description attribute that allows tagging tests with a short description. Currently, this information is nowhere shown in Test Explorer and it's inconvenient having to navigate to the source to lookup the description of a test. I propose showing the description if present in the lower pane in Test Explorer when selecting a test.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Test Explorer is severely limited

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351051/test-explorer-is-severely-limited.html
    I have to assume the people who developed the VS2012/2013 test explorer view never actually had to use it in production. The test explorer view is horribly limited in comparison to the one in VS2010.

1. Running tests does not open the Test Explorer window until after all the tests completed running. There's literally no indication that anything is happening. VS2010 immediately opened the window to show you that the tests were running.

2. Where are the columns? Most importantly: the error message…

730 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  75 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. have an icon only view in the test explorer window

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351745/have-an-icon-only-view-in-the-test-explorer-window.html
    When I am running my unit tests, I don't really care to see the names of the tests. I'm much more interested in the red(x) vs green(check) icons - and more specifically, just the failing tests. If a test fails, I can click on it to see it's name - since I'm usually double-clicking it to navigate to the test itself. I would love to see an icon-only view, such as the one in the attached mockup I created.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Allow screen capture while using TFS Web Access like the TFS MTM client does today

Currently the TFS client for MTM allows testers to capture, and automatically attach a screenshot during testing. That feature is the main reason none of our testers have switched to Web Access, it is not supported at this time.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 20 21

Feedback and Knowledge Base