Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. microsoft NuGet visual studio 2015 package failed while installing vs2015 preview

hi, i wanted to install vs2015 preview and microsoft NuGet visual studio 2015 package failed, what can i do to solve the problem?

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  NuGet Package Manager  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add option to disable NuGet Cache

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351752/add-option-to-disable-nuget-cache.html
    Once you have a lot of packages (we have over 200!) The NuGet cache becomes a complete pain. It continually locks files requireing VS restarts, it gets out of date with dependencies causing package restore to fail. These things waste hours of time... Can we have the option to just update projects directly from the package sources rather than using the VS cache?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  NuGet Package Manager  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Remove "Incompatible: Use Bower instead" message from NuGet Package Manager

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351787/remove-incompatible-use-bower-instead-message-from.html
    Bower is deprecated so telling people to go use Bower instead is crazy. Updated the message to point to something else like a page describing npm/yarn and Library Manager.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  NuGet Package Manager  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Project Filter when managing nuget packages at solution level

When managing nuget references at solution level, if you have loads of projects in the solution it might be hard to find the project you want. Therefore a simple project filter would help

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Stop opening the output window when clearing nuget cache

When clearing the NuGet Cache (which needs to be done a lot as VS is really bad at keeping in in sync) the output window pops up. Can you stop this happening please. If I have a popup closed, I want it to stay closed for a reason. This applies to any popup (the error list is another common culprit).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Alphabetically sort the "Default Project" list in Package Manager Console

I have > 100 projects in the solution and it would be good to be able to view the drop-down list of projects in the Package Manager Console alphabetically.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add filter for missing nuget packages in package manager

While undergoing the painful process of converting a massive solution to using NuGet packages, be able to filter the list of packages in NPM to only show ones that are missing.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Reinstall NuGet packages if no .vs directory present

This request regards the default behavior for opening a Visual Studio
    solution for the first time.

I've noticed that when opening a Visual Studio solution for the first
    time, i.e. after cloning a git repository, if there is no .vs directory
    present, the IDE will automatically create that settings repo. That is a
    good thing and implies that the IDE has identified that the solution is
    not currently in a ready state, i.e. being opened for the first time.

If it is true that the IDE is able to determine that the solution is
    not currently in a ready state,…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Better NuGet search

Have the search function seras for all that matches, not only what is in the text box.

For example, was to install "Microsoft.Azure.WebJobs.Extensions.EventHubs" but forgot the 's' at the end, so the package did not show up.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Fix NuGet Package Search

If I start typing in the package manager search box and type "bit", I get a fair amount of results back. If I add a "b" (bitb), I get no packages found. If I keep on typing and searching, I find no results. Now, I'm all the way out to "bitbucke". Nothing. Once I put the final letter in (t), I get all kinds of results. Where were all of those results when I was at bitb or bitbu, for example? Why don't I get results unless and until I've typed out "bitbucket"? This is just one example of how…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. tell user which NuGet package key is a duplicate

Instead of:

<<Error occurred while restoring NuGet packages: An item with the same key has already been added>>

please write:

<<Error occurred while restoring NuGet packages: An item with the same key (Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.FxCopAnalyzers Version="2.6.0") has already been added (MyProject.csproj, line 33)>>

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Making notes for nuget packages in Package Manager Dialog

IT would be great to make notes for installed packages. Especially in Xamarin you sometimes need to use different versions of a package for different platforms.
    Or you don't want to update to the latest verison because it would break functionality.
    Making notes about this displayed inside manager would help other people to understand why some version-decissions where made!

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Resolved NuGet packages - show actual source feed

I would like to know which feed the exact package is taken from. For example, it can be stored in a metadata file in the package folder.

I need it to be able to reuse the package in other projects or to resolve security issues accessing the feed.

For example, if I have a project and I started getting error restoring a package, I need the feed url that was used to get this package, to contact the package owners and to troubleshoot the issue with them.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 希望提供Nuget收藏功能

Thank the development team for providing Nuget package management functions and making unremitting efforts. I see the "roaming extension manager" function for extension that has been provided in VS, hoping to provide the function of collecting the Nuget packages. Developers can collect or synchronize the favorite and frequently used Nuget packages with the login account within the VS, so that developers need to use the Nuget package without having to enter the name of the Nuget package each time. The search can be downloaded and referenced to the project directly in the favorites, and it can also alleviate the pressure…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Tree view for NuGet dependencies

When you want to uninstall a NuGet package, VS stops you showing that there are packages depending on that.
    It would be useful to have a tree view of dependencies, in order to have quickly recognize all dependencies and understand the uninstall order

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. The path of references is not written in "csproj" !!

Improve Nuget correction on different computers. The path of references is not written in csproj. I already have a certain default folder. You do not know this job the Nuget Team.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. .netstandard/core version nuget filter

I want to have ability to filter nuget packages by .netstandard and .net core version.

For example if I want to stick with .net core 1.1 I want to have ability to see packages only for that version and .netstandard 2.0/.netcore 2.0 should not be offered.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow cancellation during nuget package install

In VS, when you open the package manager window, and click on the "Install" button in order to install a nuget package to project, you then have to wait (can be quite a long time) for nuget to do its analysis, and eventually it displays a confirmation window. During this period of time (i.e after clicking the install button, and before the confirmation window), it would be good to be able to "cancel" out of the operation. Basically if you realise you have clicked on the wrong install button, having to wait a couple of minutes (large solution) for this…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow NuGet to download large packages on slow networks

Not everyone is born equal and some of us have slow connection speed (well here my 14 mbps is considered fast btw).
    Please change the nuget GET timeout accordingly to the size of the file.
    Don't shut connection during download because if didn't return in 100 seconds.
    Please inform user that a large download is in progress and give an estimate of the download time and size, and the ability to stop the process.

For instance with a >100mb package this is the feedback on the PM console.

Failed to download package 'Microsoft.Xbox.Live.SDK.WinRT.UWP.Native.Release.2018.4.20180411.2' from 'https://www.nuget.org/api/v2/package/Microsoft.Xbox.Live.SDK.WinRT.UWP.Native.Release/2018.4.20180411.2'.
    The HTTP request…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Reference Packages Direct download

Provide an option to directly pull the missing packages from the solution explorer...instead of searching the related packages in the nuget manager... Options like Get, Update and Downgrade.. it will be helpful to directly pull the missing packages to the solution

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base