Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Automatically fetch git repositories periodically

It would be great if Visual Studio followed VS Code in it's option to automatically fetch Git repositories periodically.

From VS Code documentation (https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/editor/versioncontrol#_remotes)

"VS Code is able to periodically fetch changes from your remotes. This enables VS Code to show how many changes your local repository is ahead or behind the remote."

It's very useful for me when working in VS Code, and I'd love to see this feature in Visual Studio.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support multi-selection in Team Explorer - Resolve Conflicts

I have a merge conflict with 79 files all of which are keep or delete. I want to perform the same operation (delete) on all of the files. Selecting each file and clicking delete is very cumbersome. I would like to multi select or select all and then delete the batch.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow multiple Git repositories to be active at once

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351156/allow-multiple-git-repositories-to-be-active-at-on.html
    This description has been modified by the admin.

This request is to have VS allow more than one Git repository be active at once. By allowing multiple repositories to be active at once, one can work with a solution that spans multiple repositories and also view histories and files of a submodule and parent repo at the same time.

1,975 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    77 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. VS2017 Annotate - call it "Annotate", not "Blame (Annotate)"

I don't like the use of the term "Blame" - it's too finger pointy and implies fault where there may not be a fault.
    I know the item is "Blame (Annotate)" but "Annotate" alone is much more obvious, consistent with previous versions of VS and does not imply fault.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add git support for subtree add, push and pull

Git subtrees are a popular way of including code from a remote repo into a project repo. They have advantages over git submodules.

Visual Studio's git features need to support adding and managing push, pull and merges from subtrees.

The only way to use git subtrees presently is from the command line :

e.g.

Add a subtree (as a remote)
    git remote add shared ssh://git@bitbucket.org/xyz/shared.git
    git subtree add --prefix=path/to/code --squash shared master

Pulling upstream changes
    git subtree pull --prefix=path/to/code --squash shared master

Pushing changes to the upstream repository
    git subtree push --prefix=path/to/code --squash shared master

211 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Fix TFS local data store concurrency issues - TF400030: The local data store is currently in use by another operation...

TFS local data store really sucks in compare to traditional SVN integration.
    There should be special service to handle concurrent operations, when you have more than one VS opened - or - some kind of tool like TortoiseSVN would be better.

I still get race conditions causing change conflicts, e.g. by operations during T4.

Local data store should act logically - last change wins.

It's so easy to integrate using monikers (http://bit.ly/1nC0w3Q), so vote for MS developers to learn own tech. ;-)

64 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Sync projects between VStudio Online and MS Project Online

Sync project common content between VStudio Online and MS Project Online. Project Online and VStudio Online projects have overlapping information - personnel, work items, tasks, timelines, hierarchy, status, etc.

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Visual Studio Tools for Git Extension (Microsoft Git Provider) integration with Source Control Explorer window

The major feature that is still missing from the Microsoft Git Provider is to integrate it with the Source Control Explorer window to provide a full featured Git repository UI that will rival third party tools in it's feature set.

A great example of the ideal functionality is the Git Extensions main user interface. It allows changing repositories and branches, stashing changes, committing code and push/pull operations. It also provides a great visual diagram showing the commit history for the selected repository and where each branch (local and origin) is in relation to the head. It also allows you to…

598 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    17 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

When the item was marked as completed, we have misunderstood the suggestion. Your suggestion is still valid, and on our backlogs. But we are not actively working on this.

Opening the suggestion again for you to upvote this one. Sorry for the confusion.

Ewald Hofman
    VSTS/TFS Program Manager

9. SoapUI integrated with TFS

Please, integrate Visual Studio with SoapUI and also create plugin for Eclipse to integrated TFS with SoapUi perspective.

Thank you,
    Rick

214 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. TFS client should allow for Include/Check-in parts of file, instead of the whole edited file or nothing.

Note: This is using TFS for Source Control, not Git.

I did a rollback of a changeset that removed files, because I realized we still need those files. I forgot to include the csproj in the checkin, and have added additional files since then.

If I could Include specific lines in the csproj to pending changes, then I don't have to delete those lines in the csproj to properly checkin the fix for the changeset above, while not polluting the checkin with irrelevant changes.

All git committing clients support this, by using `git add -i` or Git Extensions allows for…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Team Explorer needs better support for multiple Git accounts and repositories across VSTS and Github

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351802/team-explorer-needs-better-support-for-multiple-gi.html
    Most developers have multiple accounts across VSTS and GitHub. Additionally within a single VS instance they may want to use different accounts for different sets of repositories both inside and outside VSTS. Currently you can only be signed in to a single Git account at a time. You have to remember to sign out before trying to connect to another repo that uses a different account. It seems like the account association can be managed better such that we can specify which account…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Please provide the feature to raise PR between two different repository in bitbucket

I can not raise PR from visual studio between my fork repository and main repository in bitbucket. Please provide the feature

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. move code from one team project collection to another without loosing history

move code from one team project in one collection to another team project in another TPC. like just move a folder that contain code without loosing history. we are looking for this feature. we are using on premise tfs 2015 and migrating to tfs 2018 on prem.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. On Creating Git Local Branch have the option for selecting Work Item - This can then be used to set Branch Name

I find the naming of branches to be somewhat messy. If there was an option of using a Work Item for the branch, then it could use this to create some name, instead of manually entering one.

At present we name it something like Task32123 or Bug43212. So selecting an item, could automatically do this. And then could be used as a default when committing. And Possibly even shown in the Branch menu to quickly access the work item to view. Would add a level of clarity.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. auto link to git commit id in VSTS work item text fields (discussion, description,...)

Current discusion text filed of a work item allows creation of auto links to developpers (using @), to pull requests (using !) and to orther work items (using #).
    Could we have the same capability for linking to git commit ids (could be done by extending the ! linking proposals

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. VSTS: copy work item title and http link

current Visual studio team service (AzureDevOps) allows to copy work item title through a specific button. (right hand side of the work item title).
    It would be most useful to get a copy of both the title and the associated http link so that work items references can be exchanged through mails/ reports,...

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add "Open Powershell" from Git Changes "Action" options.

The Actions drop down lists "Open Command Prompt" and I'd also like to see "Open Powershell"

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add support for track in to the IDE and status area

Git supports tracking relationships to allow local branches to show information on how many commits the branch is behind by using the track command on a branch https://www.git-tower.com/learn/git/faq/track-remote-upstream-branch.

Other git tools such as gitkraken (attached git_tracking.png) have this feature built in so that we know if we the branch is behind and we need to pull changes in. It would be great if we had

a. The ability to track the branch in the ide from the branches section
    b. The number of commits behind for the current branch in the git info area (attached git_info.png)
    c. The number…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Support patch adding in Visual Studio Tools for Git

Patch adding allows to stage only parts of a file (hunks), not an entire file.
    The command line equivalent is the command "git add --patch"

For example if you edit a file on line 20 and make another change on line 40 and now you want to split this changes into two separate commits because they are unrelated to each other you can do this by patch adding the file. It would be nice to have this functionality available inside of Visual Studio.

The same funcionality could be used to automatically include the changed parts of the csproj file when…

259 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19

Feedback and Knowledge Base