Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide a transpiler for VB6 programming to JS

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351564/provide-a-transpiler-for-vb6-programming-to-js.html
    Provide a transcompiler to convert the VB6 programming language to JavaScript.

Also do the same in Office for VBA programming.

203 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    14 comments  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create a JavaScript project type

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351578/create-a-javascript-project-type.html
    Provide a new project type in Visual Studio that focuses on developing JavaScript and TypeScript projects.

Please vote and add comments below to indicate what kind of features you would like this project type to have.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Code Formatting - TypeScript and JavaScript - Space before and after curly braces

In our team we are using TSLint with "jsx-curly-spacing": [ true, "always" ]. Half our team uses VS Code and when they use Code Formatting they have this done automatically. However if i press Ctrl+E, Ctrl+D to format the entire document the spacing is removed.

How I would like it to be:

<div className={ classes.root }>

How it turns out:

<div className={classes.root}>

I have looked at the settings but I can't find any for brackets.

I'm using the new Visual Studio Enterprise 2017 15.5.3.

VS Code has this automatically it seems and they can toggle it using these settings:

"typescript.format.insertSpaceAfterOpeningAndBeforeClosingNonemptyBrackets":…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support JSDoc @link in TypeScript

JSDoc support in TypeScript is already pretty good with nice syntax highlighting. What I miss is inline @link support (http://usejsdoc.org/tags-inline-link.html) in JSDoc comments in the same way that it is supported for <see /> references in C# XML Documentation Comments.

It would be great if the @link inline statement should reference types in the project, so that it is possible to navigate to the type and check its existence. Also, when typing @link, a list of types provided by IntelliSense would be handy. Last, when the documentation is displayed in IntelliSense, the {@link} formatting could be changed to…

86 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Use new project format for .njsproj files

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351736/use-new-project-format-for-njsproj-files.html
    This is a bit of nit pick, but it would be nice if the .njsproj files used a leaner project format like the new MSBuild 5/.NET Core SDK proj format. I realize that some of that has to do with pre-defined stuff that get's included by the sdk but perhaps similar tooling could be put in place to make .njsproj files which exist solely for the benefit of visual studio to get pared down to only what is absolutely relevant for a developer.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Better support for JavaScript projects

Today, there are no good option to edit a javascript project (SPA/PWA using WebPack/NPM). The current Node projects are way too slow. .net core projects are fine, but is not suitable because it have C# code (creating bin and obj folders). The closest to a good javascript project I could find was a C# Shared project. Intellisense works fine, ReSharper works fine and it's blazing fast. But feels like a hack and there is no integrated build on VS (I must have a prompt opened all the times to check errors and keep the live reload functioning).

Suggestion:
    1) A…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. When debugging JavaScript have option to auto-format the script

Most script ends up being minified - all put on one line, which is impossible to add break points and very difficult to debug. VS should allow auto-formatting (pretty print) of the JS as is done in the Edge (and other browsers) debugger.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. ********

sdtkhjigeajhgeijhteiji

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Better javascript debugging in VS

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351672/better-javascript-debugging-in-vs.html
    Please make the debugging experience of JavaScript debugging in Chrome or Edge the same as it was using IE.

It's no wonder people resort to using Chrome or FireFox for debugging. The integration with VS is far from ideal.

Using Edge for debugging is a disaster. It's buggy and freezes for no reason constantly.

As you have noticed yourself, people hardly use JavaScript debugging in VS and decided to turn it off by default in 15.7. But I'd rather have all my debugging…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Visual Studio Mac Javascript Syntax Highlighting

Add syntax javascript highlighting to files like html, cshtml, etc. It is currently hard to read my javascript as I am used to comments standing out.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Please add format document (ctrl+K, ctrl+D) for .html and .js files

Please add format document (ctrl+K, ctrl+D) for .html and .js files
    there is only format selection for HTML pages.
    There is nothing for JS files to format the document,
    ony for CSS i can see both format document and format selection

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. We need more JavaScript / TypeScript formatting options.

Currently, Visual Studio 2017 is lacking quite a lot of formatting options, such as indenting case labels in switch statements, or toggling 4-spaces / tabs.

Attached is a picture of what JavaScript / TypeScript formatting options look like on the latest Visual Studio 2017 version right now.

They are really few options to play around with, compared with C++, C#, and even HTML.

Please add more formatting options for JavaScript / TypeScript. Thank you.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. js: by clicking on function - go to that function

by clicking on function - go to that function

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Node.js Electron basic Support

I want to develop basic Electron with better support. Thanks :-)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Update function for Cordova plugins

Currently VS will not show you if a Cordova plugin is outdated and there is no way to update it but deleting and re-installing it.

Having to keep track of plugin versions and update them manually is everything but ideal.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add dynamic extensibility and customization for JavaScript Intellisense in VS 2017

Salsa the New JavaScript Language Service, all mighty that it is, lacks the extensibility and customization feature for JavaScript Intellisense that we highly appreciated and used. This is stopping us to migrate to VS 2017 and it’s very disappointing. We hope that Salsa would eventually provide a dynamic extensibility feature as VS 2015 did.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Can we show the generated JS file by typescript look like webform code behind?

It would like like the JS and the MAP file is nested under the TS file, just to make the Solution Explorer clean :)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Improve productivity while working with JSX

Please add some productivity improvements to JSX:
    - auto-closing tag (like in HTML editor)
    - rename closing tag while changing opening tag (like in HTML editor)
    - add ability to wrap selected JSX with DIV (like in HTML editor)
    - add ability to export selected JSX as stateless component

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. portugês do Brasil

que tal ser em pt-br

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. CSS editor - differentiate main CSS styles and @media styles

When editing CSS, it will be nice to differentiate main styles and @media styles. @media styles mostly contains CSS selectors which were already on the main styles already. I often confuse between the two, where I edit the main CSS styles instead of the @media styles and vice versa. If there is something to differentiate between the two like different background color will be great.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base