Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Custom Debugger-Visualizer for .Net Core Apps in VS2017

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351618/custom-debugger-visualizer-for-net-core-apps-in-vs.html
    It has no this feature for .NET Core now, could you add this feature later?

67 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add Javascript debugging for Mozilla Firefox

Please add in Javascript debugging for ASP.net support for the Mozilla Firefox web browser

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Sourcelink should enable Go to Implementation

Visual studio should support 'Go to implementation' for library code that is exposed with SourceLink.

We recently began using SourceLink in our .NETcore library in an attempt to debug the library while consuming it. We enabled SourceLink and it has worked great in that I are now able to step into the library code with the debugger, but I am unable to jump to implementation/definition of any of this library code. Is there a way I can get visual studio to do this already? If not this should be a feature.

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Watch window member specifier for arrays

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351529/watch-window-member-specifier-for-arrays.html
    When watching an array pointer with size specifier, also add the ability to specify a class/struct member to watch. Example:

ptrToArrayOFooPtrs, 4, m_FooMemberVar

This would display like:
    [0] m_FooMemberVar=value
    [1] m_FooMemberVar=value
    [2] m_FooMemberVar=value
    [3] m_FooMemberVar=value

This allows you to quickly inspect a variable on every object in the array.

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. When you remove a breakpoint while debugging, it stays removed.

Many times while debugging a developer will find a breakpoint they don't want, and they'll remove it. Minutes later while debugging again, they'll be faced with the same breakpoint, and they'll, in frustration, remove it again, only for it to be back!?

Yes, we can remove the breakpoint once we're done debugging, but sometimes those files aren't open anymore because the debugger took us to other code files.

There needs to be a way to kill a breakpoint, while debugging, that removes it fully. Full stop.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Open memory window at variable address

In the variable watch views ( Autos / Locals / Watch List ),

Have a right click option to open a memory window at the variables memory address (or pointed to address for pointer types).

Right now an option exists for 'Go to Disassembly', 'Go to Memory' would complement it nicely

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Support using the "Snapshot Debugger" in non-cloud production debugging environments (WPF, Winforms, etc)

The premise of the non-intrusive new snapshot debugger is amazing, and could be a much more viable solution than Remote Debugging in non-cloud environments. Remote debugging is often hard to set up, and is too intrusive - often times, you simply cannot afford the risk of putting a breakpoint in a critical app that's running in a production environment.

Imagine this scenario: a customer complains of a mission critical bug in their WPF/WinForms desktop app. Technical support instructs the customer to click a "Enable Remote Diagnostics" button, which just calls an AppInsights API to enable remote snapshotting, and shows the…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Support of parsing DWARF

Support of parsing DWARF information directly, rather than using DWARF-to-PDB scripts. Very helpful when debugging binaries produced with any kinds of MinGW compilers

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Make the debugger stick to the current thread instead of jumping around between threads!

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351390/make-the-debugger-stick-to-the-current-thread-inst.html
    Please, please fix this! Debugging multithreaded applications is hard enough as it is, without having to manhandle the debugger just so it does the obvious thing you want.

I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about. You're stepping through your function, and suddenly your instruction pointer jumps somewhere unexpected and none of the variable values make sense and you realize you're not in the thread you thought you were in. It's really tough or impossible to get back to where you were in…

542 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    25 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for using Visual Studio and for your commitment to improving it. We are currently evaluating whether we will be able to address this suggestion in a future release. Thanks for capturing the pain points you feel when stepping through multithreaded applications while debugging. We will be providing an update soon.

Additionally, I wanted to clarify that the debugger will only ever complete a step on the thread from which the step was originated. So if you hit a breakpoint, disable it, and then begin stepping you should not stop on a different thread. If you have other breakpoints in your application and another thread hits one, then you will be debugging in the mixed thread state as described in this item.

Kaycee Anderson
    Program Manager, Visual Studio

10. Continue but temporarily ignore active breakpoints (as in chrome tools)

In chrome debugging tools when halted on a javascript breakpoint you can click the 'resume script execution' button which then continues until the script finishes or until it hits another breakpoint (just like VS debugger behaviour).

If, rather than clicking the button you press and hold it, an option appears which if clicked, continues execution but temporarily ignores any further breakpoints even though the breakpoints are still active.

Maybe VS already has this continue-but-temporarily-ignore behaviour but I haven't found it. If not, I think this would be a great addition to Visual Studio. At the moment if I'm halted on…

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Don't save performance passes (.psess) in solution file (.sln).

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351419/dont-save-performance-passes-psess-in-solution-fil.html
    There are some stuff that gets changed in the solution file if you've done a profiling session (memory or performance, doesn't matter). This is very annoying when using version control.

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Support *.natjmc files storing on project/solution level

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351648/support-natjmc-files-storing-on-projectsolution-le.html
    Its proposed improvement for the newly announced 'C++ Just My Code Stepping' feature (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2018/06/29/announcing-jmc-stepping-in-visual-studio/). As blog post states config files (*.natjmc) for the feature can be placed only in %VSInstallDir% and %USERPROFILE% folders.
    I propose to support storing this files in solution/project folder. You can use the same overriding scheme as *.gitconfig use.
    This will greatly simplify usage of the feature for the big teams since they tend to share such settings via version control and have different settings per-project.

172 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Please support Angular CLI sourcemaps generated in Microsoft.DotNet.Web.Spa.ProjectTemplates::2.0.0-rc2-final

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351617/please-support-angular-cli-sourcemaps-generated-in.html
    I love the new ASP.NET web template with support for Angular CLI. The only issue with this I've encountered is the lack of support for integrated debugging in VS 2017. Apparently the IDE does not support the sourcemaps generated by angular-cli. (reference closed issue: https://github.com/aspnet/JavaScriptServices/issues/1474 ). Debugging works in Chrome, suggesting that the sourcemaps are valid; but not in the IDE.

168 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Debugger should support generic authentication with SourceLink

VS Debugger now supports Authenticated Source Link for VSTS and GitHub starting in 15.7 (https://goo.gl/iNAvgW). That is a great start. My team has our .NET source code in GitHub Enterprise. This issue is for support is to support other private source code repositories in a generic (or extensible) way. I know other need GitLab support and I'm sure there are a bunch more.

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Break debugger on exception throws from async method, optionally even when it is caught by external code

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351769/break-debugger-on-exception-throws-from-async-meth.html
    ## Consider following code:

Task.Run(() => throw new Exception("This breaks the debugger, fine"));
    Task.Run(async () => throw new Exception("This doesn't, but should break"));

## Motivation:

It is difficult to trace some exception thrown in async methods, especially when the method is invoked by external code, like async controller action methods in asp.net core, or async handler method in some messaging framework.

Notice, that even if the exception might be cought by some external code (e.g. asp.net core's middleware), I still might want to…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add Analyze code coverage feature to UWP applications

Ability to analyze the code coverage and generate a report has been a feature earlier, But, while building UWP applications in Visual Studio, it would be great if we could get the coverage report generated

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Enable mixed-mode debugging in CMake/OpenFolder projects

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351740/enable-mixed-mode-debugging-in-cmakeopenfolder-pro.html
    Visual Studio supports mixed mode debugging (C++/Python), but this is not possible for CMake/OpenFolder projects.

The feature is described here for .sln projects:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/python/debugging-mixed-mode-c-cpp-python-in-visual-studio

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 203 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow me to select transport protocol and refresh list when I'm ready for remote debugging

Currently when I try to remote debug the default protocol is local and it automatically tries to populate a list of processes. This causes a 3-5 minute wait for me to be able to do anything in VS2017 (It's not async and takes control of my window.)

THIS IS TERRIBLE!

Please disable this behavior ASAP and instead do the following:

When I select attach to process for remote debugging please present me with options to which protocol I want to select to find the target I want to attach to, and then the control to populate the list when I…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. _NT_SYMBOL_PATH cannot be disabled

After the nearest update, _NT_SYMBOL_PATH becomes a option in DEBUG symbol path config.

But I cannot disable this option or delete it.
    Clearly it is a new feature of this update, but is there something wrong that I cannot choose to not use it as a symbol file source?

(In windbg, I configured this environment varible to Microsoft Symbol Server, it's very slow when network is bad)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 25 26

Feedback and Knowledge Base