Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Change target Windows SDK

I'm working on UWP, but I can't use some of theme resource, so I think it because that theme resource(specifically, color accent theme resource) are only available in SDK build 10.0.14393. However, VS2017 doesn't have an option to change SDK version and doesn't show project targeted SDK, I think VS2017 still target older version of SDK that was included when I selected UWP development when I installed VS2017. So, I hope VS team will add at least something to indicate project's targeted SDK or even better an option to change it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Hello : Microsoft Have you presented a competition to develop the phone's screen and who has proposed a keyboard to suit all smartphones For

Hello : Microsoft
    Have you presented a competition to develop the phone's screen and who has proposed a keyboard to suit all smartphones Format
    Now I want to show you the keyboard and how they work and wages marketed either program with the device or in the Apps store .
    I hope you like it .

Suhil Saghier

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. about uwp

Windows application store should be renamed the application browser, application of commodity should be as open as a Web page or can be used to look at, there is further need to download more, different applications should be able to spell like a jigsaw puzzle into a more complex application. Word should store energy to download this link to directly open, only the more complex need further downloads are required to provide this functionality, users are used to a Web page as a whole, instead of the app store, I think.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Microsoft Windows Simulator

Hi,

Maybe Microsoft Windows Simulator can change resolution to something like a Windows Phone resolution for uwp xaml debug, with standard Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps features without HyperV. Please. Lot of Help.

Thank You

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio XAML Experiences team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time. 

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us! 

Daniel Jacobson
    Program Manager, Visual Studio XAML Experiences Team

5. Fix XAML multi-line auto complete issue

Intellisense will only complete one line when writing with multiiple lines selected in the XAML editor.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio XAML Experiences team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time. 

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us! 

Daniel Jacobson

6. Support dynamic register custom theme for APP

Most of time, an app should provide different theme for different user, not depend of the system.
    I think UWP should support dynamic register custom theme, not the HighContrast or others.
    If a new theme style file added in the App.xaml, the new theme's "Name" will be registered for the app by the runtime system Automatically.
    e.g
    I add a "MyStyle.xaml" theme style file to ThemeDictionaries of App.xaml(<ResourceDictionary x:Key="MyStyle" Source="Styles/MyStyle.xaml"/>), when I want to use "MyStyle" theme, the only things is call this.RequestedXXXTheme = "MyStyle";

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Daniel Jacobson

7. XAML Designer: 'Fit all' and 'Fit to selection' buttons in top toolbar

The UWP,... XAML Designer could really do with two buttons: 'Fit all' and 'Fit to selection'. The current way to do that is a bit to cumbersome to use.

Ideally both should be toggle buttons representing 'state' so the zoom would be automatically adjusted to the available space. If the current 'setting' is un-toggled, the last 'user' zoom could be applied.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Daniel Jacobson

8. The Visual Studio won't start after applying Update 2

I don't post this vis SendFeedback because the VS won't start.
    Below is the exception:
    Application: devenv.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.InvalidCastException
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.BranchRepositorySwitcher.System.Windows.Markup.IComponentConnector.Connect(Int32, System.Object)
    at MS.Internal.Xaml.Runtime.ClrObjectRuntime.SetConnectionId(System.Object, Int32, System.Object)

Exception Info: System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException
    at System.Windows.FrameworkTemplate.LoadTemplateXaml(System.Xaml.XamlReader, System.Xaml.XamlObjectWriter)
    at System.Windows.FrameworkTemplate.LoadTemplateXaml(System.Xaml.XamlObjectWriter)
    at System.Windows.FrameworkTemplate.LoadOptimizedTemplateContent(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.Markup.IComponentConnector, System.Windows.Markup.IStyleConnector, System.Collections.Generic.List`1<System.Windows.DependencyObject>, System.Windows.UncommonField`1<System.Collections.Hashtable>)
    at System.Windows.FrameworkTemplate.LoadContent(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Collections.Generic.List`1<System.Windows.DependencyObject>)
    at System.Windows.StyleHelper.ApplyTemplateContent(System.Windows.UncommonField`1<System.Collections.Specialized.HybridDictionary[]>, System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.FrameworkElementFactory, Int32, System.Collections.Specialized.HybridDictionary, System.Windows.FrameworkTemplate)
    at System.Windows.FrameworkTemplate.ApplyTemplateContent(System.Windows.UncommonField`1<System.Collections.Specialized.HybridDictionary[]>, System.Windows.FrameworkElement)
    at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.ApplyTemplate()
    at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.MeasureCore(System.Windows.Size)
    at System.Windows.UIElement.Measure(System.Windows.Size)
    at Microsoft.Internal.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.WorkerThreadElementContainer.InnerMeasure(System.Windows.Size)
    at Microsoft.Internal.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.WorkerThreadElementContainer+<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<MeasureOverride>b__0()
    at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
    at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
    at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
    at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(System.Object)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object,…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your feedback. We completely understand that since VS is not starting, you would not be able to report a problem that way. However, please do note that for each crash, we do get enough telemetry to understand the problem via Windows Error Reporting. Also, you could consider filing an issue at http://connect.microsoft.com (UserVoice is not the appropriate forum for reporting crashes).

Thanks,
    Unni
    Program Manager, Visual Studio

9. Add a PhotoShop-style Layer Comp toolwindow for use with the XAML editor.

Add a Layer Comp style toolwindow for use in editing complex XAML pages by grouping items by visibility in the designer and quickly switching between views on the same page.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Daniel Jacobson

10. XAML VisualStateManager Visualizer

When debugging an app that uses the XAML VisualStateManager highlight the active VisualState within the XAML code editor to allow a developer to see that the StateTriggers are working correctly without needing to rely upon specific Setters on other controls.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Daniel Jacobson

11. XAML WPF + UWP Bindable Margin en Padding sides

It would be great if it was possible in all XAML versions (WPF and Mobile WP + UWP) to be able to set bindings to the sides of a margin and padding.
    Especially since universal apps are possible it would be very nice to set a binding to one side of a margin or padding.

This is not even possible in UWP xaml because the properties Left, Right, Bottom and Top are not exposed nor dependency properties:
    <Button>
    <Button.Margin>
    <Thickness Left={x:Bind CalculatedLeftMargin} />
    </Button.Margin>
    </Button>

And that also looks a bit ugly, something like this would even be nicer to…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Daniel Jacobson

12. Fix irritating WPF UserControl template

When creating a new WPF UserControl, the design template that gets created has d:DesignHeight="300" d:DesignWidth="300" ... note the height before the width which is contrary to most conventions. This trips me up EVERY time I create a new control. It's just a little irritation but would be quick to fix.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Daniel Jacobson

13. XAML Tag collapse clicking closing tags

When I want to collapse a tag in the xaml editor I have to scroll at the opening tag and click the +/- button. With a sort of +/- button close to the closing tag I wouldn't have to scroll. scrolling is annoying for big tags.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Daniel Jacobson

14. In XAML why don't use ".Member" replace "Father.Member" ?

Like this:
    <ResourceDictionary>
    <ResourceDictionary.MergedDictionaries>
    why don't use <.MergedDictionaries> replace <ResourceDictionary.MergedDictionaries>?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Daniel Jacobson

15. in XAML, give us key commands to format code both into a single line or an attribute per line format

I know I can turn on 'one attribute per line' formatting option in SETTINGS for XAML editor, but I would like to have two key combinations, one that would reformat an element into 'one attribute per line' format and the other that would reformat that again into a 'all into a single line' format (and that would work more aggresive than current ctrl-F which just indents appropriately the first line, if I am correct).

namely, I want both options available at the same time, for I often would like to temporary show a XAML element in an attribute-per-line format, and…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Daniel Jacobson

16. Make WPF Cross Platform

Make WPF built apps work on the big 3 (Windows, Linux, Mac). This would make using Visual Studio and the WPF framework a slam dunk for UI tasks!

As it is, I am using WPF primarily for prototyping (by only one developer). When it comes to actual development we ditch Visual Studio and use cross platform frameworks and IDEs.

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Visually compare xaml differences

When performing a code-review, it would be great if we could actually see how a UI has changed from the original. I don't think it needs to highlight the differences as long as it renders them.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Daniel Jacobson

18. Create a DataGrid that supports x:Bind as part of the Windows Desktop Extension for the UWP

Windows.UI.XAML.Controls ListView and GridView are nice, but are incomplete when compared to the DataGrid that's part of WPF. I need the performance improvements x:Bind provides in a Data Grid with better column spacing, resizing and eventually column re-ordering. While making WPF handle x:Bind binding would solve this issue, I could also understand creating a few more controls specifically for Windows 10 in hopes that improve on the earlier designs. I would prefer to be able to bind the list of headers separately from the list of items.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Xaml Cross-platform

make this happen :)
    xaml+objective c/swift for iOS
    xaml+java for Android
    with the same xaml when we use c#+xaml for windows
    with blend of course

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Fix Drag and Drop Data Binding

If you implement the Drag and Drop feature on a GridView or ListView bound to a collection of controls. When sorting them, they sometimes swap bindings and take on the bindings of the object which was previously in the new position. Primarily the dependency properties. Aka, if item one was bound to a string, firstName="Hank", and you drag and drop it, it would sometimes inherit the bindings of the previous object (firstName="John")

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Daniel Jacobson

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base