Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Don't show screwdriver icon at all. If a user wants to Ctl+. then show those "can but shouldn't do" options.

Don't show screwdriver icon at all. If a user wants to Ctl+. then show those "can but shouldn't do" options.

This icon appears on nearly every single line of code and continually forces context switching to determine if this thing is meaningful (and it never is).

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    10 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow Discussion text to be exported into Excel as a column option

It is currently not possible to export the Discussion text within an item (bug, deliverable, etc.) to Excel. When viewing the column options, Discussion is not available.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ability to copy TFS dashboards

In my organization we have many team project which use a similar base dashboard in project homepage

The idea is to save a dashboard once and apply it to new or existing projects

283 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    36 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Fix ligatures

Visual Studio 2015 supports ligatures which is wonderful and help readability of code. However, for some reason, anything with a hyphen does not register properly (at all really).

Can this be fixed?

404 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. "Add Test" from scrum board / sprint board on user story or product backlog items.

Generally speaking, we'd like to see the same information and contextual menu items available on the PBI/User story cards on either the team kanban or sprint views of work. Also we'd like to see the passing/failing tests on that view as well.

58 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add a "Change Password" link to visualstudio.com

If I'm logged into the visualstudio.com web page it's not at all obvious how I'd change my password. I had to search on the web for about ten minutes before discovering that I need to use https://account.live.com to do this. Please add a link to <username>.visualstudio.com to quickly access the password change page on account.live.com

95 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. remove the need to constantly re-enter credentials

re-enter credentials for vs; re-enter credentials for cloud explorer; re-enter 2fact auth keys... again. and again. and again.

please stop that,

99 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Show me the names of my saved layouts in the Save Window Layout dialog

The Save Window Layout dialog should have a combo box populated with the names of the layouts I've already saved. The name should default to the current layout (unless the current layout is the VS default), and the combo-box should match names as I type. This will minimize the chances of my typing an existing name in wrong and saving a new layout when I mean to update an existing one.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. VSTS Web View: add "Move to Iteration" menu to the right click menu in queries

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351733/vsts-web-view-add-move-to-iteration-menu-to-the-ri.html
    In the VSTS web view, add the "Move to iteration" menu to the right click menu when viewing items in a query. This allows users to quickly move items to the backlog or current sprint. This behavior currently only works when viewing items in the Backlog. This feature used to exist, but was removed: see the following bug: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/309052/move-to-iteration-option-is-not-visible.html

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Highlight keywords in tooltip and use different markup

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351739/highlight-keywords-in-tooltip-and-use-different-ma.html
    It would be great if tooltips have the same highlighting as the code itself so it's way more readable (especially if you have a lot of generics).

Besides this, it would also be great if markup could be different (think about spacing and new lines). For example:

Cannot implicitly convert type 'System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<System.Linq.IGrouping<ulong, Invoice>>' to 'System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<System.Linq.IGrouping<Invoice, Invoice>>'. An explicit conversion exists (are you missing a cast?)

Could be:
    Cannot implicitly convert type
    'System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<System.Linq.IGrouping<ulong, Invoice>>' to
    'System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<System.Linq.IGrouping<Invoice, Invoice>>'.

An explicit conversion exists (are you missing…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Tool tips when mousing over variable disappear when VS window loses focus, would be nice if they were configurable to persist

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351761/tool-tips-when-mousing-over-variable-disappear-whe.html
    They could be configured to persist until clicking elsewhere in Visual Studio?

That way I could switch to another app to take notes about the values when debugging a process. Now if I switch focus the tooltip immediately disappears

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. VSTS build policy - allow naming of builds

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351735/vsts-build-policy-allow-naming-of-builds.html
    In VSTS, allow customizing (icon, name) of listing items.

specific use case - we have 3 build agents that separate the workload however all 3 running statuses will say "Build Failed".

It would be nice to have a either a different Icon or custom name {var} "Build Failed" or both <icon> {var} "Build Failed"

So that we can have something along the lines of "E2E Build Failed" || "Server Build Fail" || "Front End Build Fail".

For example, our E2E uses Nightwatch.js, perhaps…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Should we restyle the crash chat to make it look more like the roulette/tradeup chat?

We were thinking about making the chat uniform among all game modes.

What is your take on that?

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    56 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Limit users inside a VSTS to only see other users in the same team project

To comply for GDPR, we need an easy / maintainable way to limit users inside VSTS to only see other users in the same team project. Currently users can see other users from all team projects because users are managed on collection level instead of team project level.

This involves the User overview list and the assign workitem dropdown field.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Improve the solution explorer menu

There was an idea similar to this, that was implemented back in 2013. I strongly feel this needs another go.

The context menu contains so much information with no weighting (everything seems equally important). There are few things in there like icons for the eye to catch, so I basically have to scan the entire menu every time, despite being a daily VS user since version 2003.

I've attached a screenshot of how it looks today, as well as a suggestion of how it could be improved, focusing on the mostly used items that I as a user is more…

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Ability to run/debug test methods from the code editor itself

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351806/ability-to-rundebug-test-methods-from-the-code-edi.html
    Resharper adds a unique capability where you there is a small icon besides every Test Method and Test Class which allows you to run the either all the test methods in that test class or a particular test method right from the Code Editor. Even in VS 2017, you have to find the method in the Test Explorer and then run/debug the tests. It would be nice to have a feature parity with Restharper in this.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Re-style the Merge Conflicts Dialog

There is something about the way the Resolve Merge Conflicts dialog works that causes me not to see the selected item. For some reason my attention is drawn to the second item in the list and so when I click a button (e.g. to Keep the Server Version), I'm applying that action to a different file than I think (and the one I just acted on goes away before I realize what I just did). Not sure how actionable that feedback is, but it's happened to me enough times now that I thought I'd submit it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow project reordering in solution explorer

This would allow users to sort projects based on importance rather than be forced to use an alphabetical ordering.

Eg. I personally prefer the unit tests project to be at the bottom, but this doesn't happen when the main project's name begins with a letter >T.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add Architecture features to VS2017 IDE

As a freelance contract developer, I often need to understand a client project and solution. I need to refactor systems to improve performance/maintenance/artichture. I cannot justify the cost or a client does not provide VS Enterprise. Being able to use these tools even if a option to buy add-on would be useful

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Enable inline-viewing of a Partials Conent

Regarding partials...it would be awesome if you could "click/right-click/clickity-click" (whatever) on the partials reference and view its' content from the current (parent view) container.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 37 38

Feedback and Knowledge Base