Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Schema Compare bug Target or Source is unavailable

Hi!
    When I'm using a connection with Sql Server Authentication without select Remember Password, after restart Visual Studio, when I re-enter the password and click in compare, I receive the error "Target is unavailable" or "Source is unavailable" depending where is my connection.
    If choose Remember Password and then restart Visual Studio, the error disappear. But it's a database with sensitive data and we can't save password for security reasons.
    I have read other forums and this is not a problem with password, but a bug.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support for SSIS projects in Visual Studio 2017

Support for SSIS projects in Visual Studio 2017

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Report Data Tab - collapse dataset view default

When you click on the Datasets within the Report Data tab, all the queries are expanded. Is there a way to set the default view to have all the Datasets collapsed?

As you can see in the depiction below, the first 2 Datasets are collapsed because I collapsed them manually and the third dataset is expanded which shows all the columns in that Dataset.

> dsEstimated_W

> dsActual_V

> dsActual_V_yearEnd

- count

- orgCount

- year

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Get Verfied and Trusted Packers and Movers Services http://www.movers5th.in/packers-and-movers-hyderabad/

Relocation is a problematic process which can disturb all people. It is troublesome enough to get you highly tired and stress filled. It is bit of a tedious too. But moving can the easy. Well it can be created less difficult and simpler. You can certainly convert moving into lenient and streamlined circumstance. And the remedy is licensed packers and movers or elimination organizations. An outstanding moving organization will help with your moving dramatically in the whole phenomenon and provides you entirely trouble-free and pleasant moving encounter. You will not only create moving painless and smooth but also enjoy your…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Save the Model.bim.layout file formatted rather than as a single line

The model.bim.layout for Tabular models is currently a single line. When this is updated as part of changes it can never be usefully compared with a diff tool. It would nice to work well with these tools to be able to see the files include newlines / indentation when saved.

50 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Sql Server Object Explorer filters for database objects.

Sql Server Object Explorer needs to have filters for database objects. When filters are added they should not be like the filter options

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Chatbot Integration

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351803/chatbot-integration.html
    Hi Team,
    Can we get an option of chatting with an assistant from the tool itself?
    At any point if I have questions like which transformation (SSIS) is best suited for a specific requirement, how to create report from an excel file (SSRS) or any kind of basic tool related questions can be obtained from the assistant just by conversing or asking right question.
    I have a few suggestions around the solution and design to achieve this, in case if it is required. …

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. SQL Server Management Studio should maintain selected database when reconnecting to server

SQL Server Management Studio should maintain selected database when reconnecting to server.

Let's say I have a server with three databases on it: A, B, and C. I currently have a query open and I have database C selected in the "Available Databases" dropdown. Let's also say my machine sleeps because I've left for the night. When I wake the machine, my server connection has understandably been severed and MS SQL Server Management Studio realizes this and prompts me to re-connect. When I reconnect, SQL Server Management Studio changes the selected database from "C" to "master", forcing me to change…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Prompt for save location for generated Schema Compare script

Instead of generating schema compare script in background in VS2017 Community. Promt us to save the file in our desired location.

I never get the generated schema file in VS DB compare.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. SQL Over Clause

PLEASE support the Over, Partition by and Order by clauses in the query editor for SSRS reports. This is standard SQL language that should be allowed..

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Remembering "Query Builder" dialog box size

It would be helpful if the "Query Builder" dialog box opened from the "TableAdapter Configuration Wizard" remembered the size of the last window. It is always too small and needs to be dragged larger each time it is opened.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add view execution plans to query execution plan

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351702/add-view-execution-plans-to-query-execution-plan.html
    Currently there is no way to link together or to see execution of a view (or nested views) as part of query if a query based on simple or nested views. That makes very hard to explain how a simple query like SELECT * FROM dbo.view can be very slow. Queries execution plan (in QUERY Store as well) has only query itself. However, view (or nested views even worst) contributes to the slow execution tremendously. As view is executed at the time of…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow "Go to definition" even when there is an error in script

Currently in SSDT you can not use the "Go to definition" function when there is an error in the script.

This is annoying because often one needs to see the definition of other objects while writing the script.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. SQL Explorer is very slow - could it be faster?

The SQL Explorer is VS 17 (Community version in my case) is pretty slow. Browsing the db structure or viewing data is somewhat frustrating.

I dont think SSMS is this bad.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Visual Studio 2017 version 15.8

Updated to Visual Studio 2017 version 15.8 today.
    In SSIS you can open Script Task, but if you make any changes to ScriptMain.cs inside Script Task, save and exit, you are prompted with
    'Scripts contained in the package have compilation errors. Do you want to save changes? ' .
    If you click Yes , Visual Studio restarts, your changes are not saved to Script Task. So no way to edit and make changes to SSIS Script Task after update to Visual Studio 2017 version 15.8 ,
    I've uninstalled VS 2017 SSDT, then reinstalled VS 2017 SSDT version 15.8, still get…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Support Lightswitch in Visual Studio 2017

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351607/support-lightswitch-in-visual-studio-2017.html
    Continue support for Lightswitch applications development in VS-2017 and next ones

66 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Fix the SSRS Query Designer to allow use of DAX variables when referencing SSAS 2017 Tabular Models

We recently upgraded our Development environment from SSAS 2016 Tabular to SSAS 2017 Tabular. Our client was hoping to make use of object level security available in SSAS 2017. We have many paginated reports with datasets queries written in DAX. We make use of DAX variables whenever possible. Everything worked fine when our data source was SSAS 2016. Now that our data source is SSAS 2017 we get a generic "unexpected error". If we modify our DAX and remove the DAX variable declarations we can get SSDT to recognize our query is valid. We have tried the latest SSDT builds…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13

Feedback and Knowledge Base