Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. .NetCore Code Metrics

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351625/netcore-code-metrics.html
    Make the Code Metrics feature and command line power tool work against projects/binaries that target .NetCore.

287 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    14 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Update image watch for 2017

The Image Watch plugin is an invaluable tool for developing image processing functions. Please make this component work for VS2017.

271 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Option to Disable Ctrl+Click Go to Definition

In Visual Studio 2015 and earlier, the behavior for ctrl+click was to select the 'word' (overloaded behavior from double click). It would be nice to have this behavior back in Visual Studio 2017.

154 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    30 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 1,563 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    68 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re happy to announce that your suggestion is now available in VS2017 Update 5 Preview 1.

Visual Studio now treats Git submodules like normal repos. Just add them to your list of Local Repositories and get coding! You can open a submodule, make changes, and commit. However, you cannot yet do any action that requires multiple repos to be open at once (such as viewing a file in the parent repo and a file in the submodule at the same time). In the meantime, you’ll have to switch between the parent repo and submodule, or work with multiple instances of VS.

For multiple-repo support, please vote on this request for multi-repo support.

5. Find current file in Solution Explorer

Please add the following actions:

Right click in current File -> "Find in Solution Explorer"
    Right click on Tab -> "Find in Solution Explorer"

Just like in CodeMaid:
    http://www.codemaid.net/documentation/#finding

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Toggle Console Window to stay open on / off Setting

I am a student just starting out. For at least the first few programs it appears that I need to have the console window remain open after the project/program finishes. Unfortunately it automatically closes. The two ways of keeping it open after the program has run its course aren't incredibly tedious, but I feel at the same time that it shouldn't be too difficult of a fix to make a setting that allows the user to set the console window to remain open in the same way that this keeps it open:
    Right click project
    Properties
    Configuration Properties
    Linker
    System …

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Enable TLS 1.2/1.1 during Click once Setup

Enable TLS 1.2/1.1 during ClickOnce Setup.

We need to disable TLS 1.0 by June for compliance. During testing of this we have found that our application connect correctly after a minor change. However, the ClickOnce setup only negotiates a TLS 1.0 connection.

Please either enable TLS 1.2 by default with a fallback to 1.1/1.0 or give the ability to turn it on during the build.

112 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Stop signing me out of Visual Studio! (and MSDN)

Pretty much every time I fire up Visual Studio I get greeted by the little yellow warning symbol asking me to re-enter my credentials.

I check the 'Remember my details' box (or whatever equivelent) but it makes little difference.

I work on two different computers (one at work and one at home) but do not consider this to be that unusual a set-up.

Incidentally I find that when F1'ing to get help, the MSDN page often asks me to sign in. I use Chrome as my daily driver browser but again this should be a fairly typical scenario.

I don't…

489 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    30 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Custom TFS Dashboard Widgets

The ability to define and publish custom dashboard widgets on TFS.
    Widgets could be developed using html and javascript and potentially even sold on the marketplace for VSO.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Support .NET Builds without requiring Visual Studio on the server

To build certain PCL libraries and libraries for Windows 8 RT requires having Visual Studio on the server.

Nick Berardi writes about a workaround that allows running a build server without VS, but it's really just a workaround for functionality that should be easy.

Not to mention there's probably licensing considerations we're just ignoring by doing that.

http://nickberardi.com/a-net-build-server-without-visual-studio/

Please make it easy (and legal) to build .NET projects on a server without requiring a Visual Studio installation (or license) on that server.

4,482 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    36 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback, and your overwhelming support for this feature.

To support the creation of more lightweight build servers, we now have made available Visual Studio 2017 Build Tools (https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/#build-tools-for-visual-studio-2017-rc). This release allows you to build native and managed MSBuild-based projects without requiring the Visual Studio IDE. By default (that is without selecting any workload options) the Build Tools provides support for managed projects. You can also optionally install the Visual C++ compilers and libraries, MFC, ATL, and C++/CLI support.

While Visual Studio 2017 has not yet RTM’d, we’re marking this User Voice suggestion as “Completed”, and we will continue to update the Visual Studio 2017 Build Tools as we provide updates to Visual Studio 2017.

If you have additional capabilities that you would like to see included with the Visual Studio Build Tools, please create a new User Voice entry so…

11. Allow 3rd party Extensions (vsix) in Visual Studio Express editions

As a developer of a commercial extension for Visual Studio, I was (and still am, at some level) against supporting non-paying customers.

However, over the years I came to realize that you get more flies with honey, and I now believe Microsoft should allow installing Visual Studio Extensions (vsix) in Express editions.

People use Express editions for different reason - some won't pay for their development tools out of spite, others just can't afford the next (basic) SKU, or an MSDN subscription.

Yet there are many people who create and maintain free and open source extensions for Visual Studio. While…

991 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    28 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Support for more API levels in Android Emulator (e.g. JellyBean 4.1)

Visual Studio Android Emulator is great, but it only supports Lollipop (5.0+).

Lots of devices out there still use older versions of Android, e.g. 4.3.

Please add more downloadable images to the emulator or allow to create them - like AVD does.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  VS Emulator for Android  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Open file with single click in Solution Explorer

Currently a file in Solution Explorer has to be double clicked to open the file. I'd like Visual Studio to match Visual Studio Code in that a file is opened with a single click.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for logging this with us! You may have turned off the setting in Visual Studio 2012, 2013, or 2015 that allows files to be opened with a single click.

Go to Tools > Options > Environment > Tabs and Windows and then check that in the “Preview Tab” section that “Preview selected files in Solution Explorer” is selected.

If this isn’t working for you, please reply so we can get a bug logged and look into this.

Thanks!
    Cathy Sullivan
    Visual Studio IDE Team

14. Visual Studio for Mac Os x

Dear Madam and sir;

We need Full Version of Visual Studio for Mac Os x.
    And language of programming such as:

-C
    -C++
    -C#
    -VB
    -F#
    -HTML
    -MHTML

Thanks,

3,608 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    93 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In November 2016, we introduced Visual Studio for Mac, the newest member of the Visual Studio family. Visual Studio for Mac is a developer environment optimized for building mobile and cloud apps with Xamarin and .NET. It is a one-stop shop for .NET development on the Mac, including Android, iOS, and .NET Core technologies. Sporting a native user interface, Visual Studio for Mac integrates all of the tools you need to create, debug, test, and publish mobile and server applications without compromise, including state of the art APIs and UI designers for Android and iOS. And the story is just beginning. In the coming months we will be working with the Visual Studio and Visual Studio Code teams to bring more features that you love to the Mac, from advanced Web editing capabilities to support for more programming languages via the Server Language Protocol.

For more…

15. Make the installation of Visual Studio light-weight and fast

What?
    Installing Visual Studio takes too long

Why?
    There's a lot of stuff that the VS installer installs that I probably never is going to use.

Proposal:
    Make modules and packages install when needed. The Office-install has had this option for ages, where you can deceide whether you want to install a feature a) now, b) when needed, or c) never. That way the basic install will probably be a lot faster and it will take up less space on our drives (how many terabytes of never-used-features do you think VS is accumulating worldwide?).

I belive you already have the…

1,999 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    116 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re delighted to say that Visual Studio 2017 is now released, including a completely revamped installer in response to this and other feedback. The smallest installation of Visual Studio is one-tenth the size of previous versions and takes on average just three minutes to install. Build-to-build upgrades take just a minute or two. You can select a workload of your choice – we won’t install things that you’re not going to use.

To the proposal, we support in-product acquisition of components on demand. You can just hit Ctrl+Q (quick launch), type the feature you want, and we’ll take you straight into an installation experience for that feature.

Thanks for the great feature request – we hope you like Visual Studio 2017! Download it from http://visualstudio.com.

16. Provide Stash support in visual studio tools for Git

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351045/provide-stash-support-in-visual-studio-tools-for-g.html
    There's no way i can stash my changes in Visual studio tools for git or any third party Git tools like mSysGit. Its great to support it.

2,018 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    59 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Sync extensions across multiple devices, using the synchronized settings feature

Keep the installed extensions and pluings in sync in the cloud, using the sync feature.
    Useful when reinstalling VS or when using multiple PCs.

189 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Create a MSDN Subscription - Lite version - cheaper and limited tools

Currently all MSDN subscriptions are expensive for individual developers and they provide all s/w that are not really required by individuals.

An individual developer, for hobby, can use express editions of SQL Server, does not need Enterprise editions of OS / Office and similar software that increase the cost of MSDN license.

The suggestion is to create a MSDN Lite subscription that individual developers can buy and will provide tools such as Visual Studio, Expression Studio, Azure

The licensing cost should change little bit-
    * For individual developers, the rates should be lower.
    * For enterprises, the price can be…

1,421 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    28 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great news!

On November 18, we introduced two significant changes in Visual Studio to address this request for “lite” MSDN subscriptions:
    1) We launched the new Visual Studio Dev Essentials program [https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-dev-essentials-vs.aspx], which is completely free. It provides tools, software, cloud services, and training and support for any developer, building apps on any platform.
    2) We launched new Visual Studio cloud subscriptions [https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/#VSSubscriptions], starting at $45/month for Visual Studio Professional, providing a significant discount compared to our traditional retail pricing (which is still available through the Microsoft Store online). Subscriber benefits, including access to Windows, Windows Server, SQL Server, and other software for dev/test, are available with the annual option.

19. Set the default namespace of generated Unity projects

The default namespace which is set in a project file is erased each time the projects are re-generated.

It is used e.g. for ReSharper code generation and clean up steps, so a correct default namespace is really useful and it would be great if it could be set in the UnityVS configuration.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow developers to step through .NET Framework sources

Microsoft currently makes reference sources available for major .NET Framework releases. You can use this source in Visual Studio so that you can step through .NET Framework code, like List<T>. That’s very useful in some situations. Unfortunately, .NET Framework servicing updates and small changes to the .NET Framework (like via: Windows Update) break this experience. Let us know if you use this feature and if you want us to fix it such that you can count on it across the lifetime of a .NET Framework release.

2,965 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    63 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Today, we’re happy to announce that we’ve fixed this issue. We’ve also added a few more features, such as an online browsing experience as well as an option to download and browse the entire reference source with Visual Studio.

Check out our blog post that announces the improved .NET Reference Source experience:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dotnet/archive/2014/02/24/a-new-look-for-net-reference-source.aspx

Thanks,
    Alok Shriram
    .NET Framework Team

← Previous 1 3 4 5 41 42

Feedback and Knowledge Base