Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Rules and Rights for tfs on premise process template modification.

Within our TFS Environment, we have defined 1 Company wide process template.
    If a Project want to have a Change, they can request this, but is must be visible for all other Project.
    This could lead to 1-3 month delay between requesting a new Attribute and have it implemented.
    We do this, because in the past it costs us a lot of effort to harmonize all our Project. At the Moment we have 300 Projects in our main Collection.

For the future we want to define a "Standard" set of Attributes, which are not allowed to Change and a specific…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Provide a way to determine which extension has changed code

As more extensions are installed, as harder it is to determine which extension has changed my code.

For example: I have disabled automatic brace completion for the editor. But when I write "if " really quickly, a brace is automatically added. I have no clue, which extension or which code has this added.

It would be great to have some tools to quickly see, which extension was responsible for this change. Otherwise, I have to disable/enable every extension.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. VSIXInstaller is using too much CPU while waiting for apps to exit

VSIXInstaller.exe is using a continuous 8-20% CPU usage while it is waiting for applications to exit.

I suppose someone coded a ugly thread.sleep loop with a too short delay. I suggest extending the delay to a few seconds or adding a button "Check again" or "Refresh".

I plan to keep the VSIX window open for a few days because I cannot close the current instances of VS and I want this extension installed any time in the future. But I cannot allow the installer to use that much CPU!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Export Item Template - from Solution Explorer context menu

It would make more sense then current workflow with Export Template Wizard, asking annoying things that he should be already aware of.

+ it would make sense if newly created template ends up at Template directory defined in "Locations" tab of General properties.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Stable cookiecutter templates release with tags

Let us choose a stable release, when we right-click on a cookiecutter template to have in the dropdown menu Tags. Something like this:
    Cookiecutter template -> Right click -> tags -> 1.0.0; 1.1.0; 2.0.0

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add $(Configuration) and $(Platform) to External Tools arguments list

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/ide/managing-external-tools describes the currently supported arguments that can inserted into External Tools definitions.

$(Platform) actually already works, but is undocumented and not exposed in the UI pop-up menus. $(Configuration) does not. Please add full support for both of these, as these are incredibly useful, for example to enable easy custom runs of MSBuild against the current project to execute custom build targets.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Nuget package for Team Explorer

Your provide great nuget packages for VSSDK and interaction with TFS.

Please also provide a nuget package for Team Explorer that contains assemblies like 'Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Build.Controls.dll' or 'Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Controls.dll' to be able to develop extensions for Team Explorer in an easier way.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Keyboard shortcuts for build tasks configured for "Open Folder" projects

An option to bind build tasks configured for "Open Folder" projects to keyboard shortcuts would be awesome! Currently I'm working on a project based on a "make.bat" build file and can't figure out an easy way like in Visual Studio Code to set shortcuts for my tasks.

Kind regards
    Andy

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Make the new MRU list control public

We use a custom visual studio start page in our shop, a single xaml file. Since upgrading to VS 2017, the MruListBox on our custom page no longer works correctly.

I have been informed that VS 2017 introduced a new MRU service in order to support some new features. Apparently as part of switching to the new service, VS stopped updating the old service.

Please either/both:
    * expose the new MRU WPF control publicly so we can take advantage of the new features in our custom page
    * wherever possible, resume sending data and configuration updates to the old MRU…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow the Visual Studio installer for the Int-Preview builds roll back to previous versions

I'm developing an extension and accidentally hit an update for the Int-Preview to 275170.d15.7 There seem to be some incompatibilities with my previously build msenv.dll and CPS extensions. Rather than forward syncing all the plugins I depend on it would be nice if I could roll back the int-preview build to last week so I can remain productive and not have to find a new set of commits that happen to work together with the installed VS.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. create ".vs" folder in user home dir, do not allow extensions to publish directly to home dir

I'm am finding that many extensions are publishing files in my home directory that are affecting my global development environment in unexpected ways. For example, when I am working with javascript/node projects I have found that some VS extensions have installed linters in my home directory and they are triggering errors when they shouldn't be, or overriding local dev settings. Extensions should only be allowed to installed files in a directory allowed by VS and NOT in the home dir root.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Revert project template importing

The old template system was so simple! Why did you change it?

All I got from "export template" was a zip file but copying that into the Templates directory no longer adds it to Visual Studio.

What is the point of this change? The old system was fine.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Rewrite your DTE code so that property references do not cause an exception.

Rewrite your DTE code so that property references do not cause an exception.

Example: if (dte.ActiveSolutionProjects != null){...}
    This throws a Com exception if no solution is loaded into the environment. Instead, as a property reference is should return a null value when ActiveSolutionProjects has no value. I can wrap this in an exception handler but that can become very expensive in terms of performance.
    A little bit of defensive programing on the VS DTE side of things would go a long way. Com Interop does not have to fail this way!!!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Fix VSIX extensions so they actually work with .NET Standard projects

I have a very tool-centric development approach. I use ten different custom tools, all written in C# and exposed as Single File Generators.

Due to my cross platform requirements, I have moved my code to .NET Standard and .NET Core, this despite knowing that the code generators will not work on these projects due to a bug in Visual Studio (reported). I have had to make use of another tool I have that reads solutions and project files and generates make files from them. Hopefully, this is a temporary work-around. But it gets worse.

It turns out that it is…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Download Size and Install Size

Good day,

Can you please show the download size alongside the install size, because for people living in countries with metered connection, we are always scared to download the files. Please, do work on that.

And, make it offline for accessibility sake.

Thank you.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. VSIX should support the user's msbuild extensions path as an install root

VSIX allows files to be installed into a few directories outside the Visual Studio extensions directory, but they're all under the Visual Studio install directory, and requires admin access to install.

If the VSIX supports installing files to the user MSBuild extensions path (in the use profile directory), then admin access would not be required to install the VSIX, and the extension could support auto-updating.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. view updated extensions after auto update when vs starts

When extensions are updated automatically show which extensions at startup and if possible provide link to release notes for each updated extension.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Display results in charts in %

We have objectives that are often in % instead of numbers.
    It could be nice to have this option when displayed a charts with several states of an item. Having the big number a % for easier display and report.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. uninstall extension dialog too long

Some extensions (like Roslyn Expression Evaluator) have so many dependent extensions that the dialog that displays when accidentally clicking the uinstall option extends beyond the length of the monitor. Since the caption bar cannot be moved off screen it is impossible to get to the bottom to see what option(s) are available. The ESC button won't dismiss the dialog nor anything other than pressing ENTER which seems to trigger the uninstall, by default.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base