Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Using the Verify option to re-run multiple tests (when associated to a single bug)

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351793/using-the-verify-option-to-re-run-multiple-tests-w.html
    The 'verify' bug option is fantastic when there is a 1:1 link between a test and bug, however where bugs that apply to multiple tests (i.e you associate an existing bug via the runner), if this was capable of re-running all associated tests when verifying a fix I would love you forever and ever.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. For Test Explorer in VS 2017 15.8, clear the Group Summary view when restarting another test run

When I complete a batch of tests, I see in the Test Explorer window the Group Summary view shows the Duration and number of passed/failed tests. If I make a code change to be tested and recompile, I will rerun the batch again. However, the Group Summary still shows the results of the last run, without any indication that I have started another run.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. CodedUI : Add ability to capture color of WPF controls

Currently in Visual Studio we have no way to test certain business rules in our WPF application if they use colors (ie. WPF Button turning red).

There is no way to currently test those business rules without manual testing which adds a lot of time.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add CodedUI as a feature in Visual Studio Professional.

It just seems that since a large portion of developers have the Professional version of Visual Studio, CodedUI would be optimal for that version. One shouldn't have to pay the price difference in Professional versus Enterprise for that one much needed feature.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. CodedUI : Add functionality for text block controls without needing to create a custom control

Add functionality for text block controls without needing to create a custom control.

Currently if you want to interact with a TextBlock control within a data template you have to create a custom control and update the xaml of every text block control (see hyperlink below).

Is there a way to support accessibility to TextBlock controls without the extra steps?

Current Workaround (Very time consuming): http://www.jonathanantoine.com/2011/11/09/coded-ui-tests-my-textblock-is-not-found-how-to-find-it/

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. A sync with test function for test explorer

A similar function to sync with active document in solution explorer but for test explorer. Could we have a button that will select the test in test explorer that the cursor is currently in please?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add a work item type for Test Coverage Reviews that works similar to code reviews.

Test coverage reviews are important and useful. Some teams use a standard task to track comments and handle updates. If QA had a task that worked like a code review where a review request could be sent to a person/comments added/and returned acted upon, etc. The activity would be more efficient and the data more usable.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Associate native C++ Unit tests to Work Items of type Test Case

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351758/associate-native-c-unit-tests-to-work-items-of-typ.html
    Our organization needs to trace Requirements to Test Cases to automated native C++ unit tests for regulatory compliance. Currently the Test Cases must be manual because the association from VS does not work for C++ unit tests. Automation would be a huge performance boost.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Missing special templates 'ToString()' in file CppUnitTestAssert.h

For almost all integer types exists special template functions.

when using tpye INT64 or long long or INT_PTR in Assert::AreEqual()
    I get a compile error saying:

c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio 12.0\vc\unittest\include\cppunittestassert.h(66): error C2338: Test writer must define specialization of ToString<const Q& q> for your class class std::basic_string<wchar_t,struct std::char_traits<wchar_t>,class std::allocator<wchar_t> > __cdecl Microsoft::VisualStudio::CppUnitTestFramework::ToString<__int64>(const __int64 &).

Could you add a specialization for long long?
    You got one for UINT64:
    template<> inline std::wstring ToString<unsigned long long> (const unsigned long long& t) \{ RETURN_WIDE_STRING(t); }

Hence I would guess the one for long logn was simply forgotten and would be easy to add: …

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Test Explorer Search - filter on pending changes

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351753/test-explorer-search-filter-on-pending-changes.html
    It would be very useful to be able to set up a search filter in the Test Explorer to include only tests that are in a file that has pending changes. Of course other tests may have been broken by the current changes, but these are the ones that are most at risk and also represent current work in progress.

Use case number one: I have received a code review request or a pull request and I want to ensure that all of…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Have a Test->Add New Test

I would love to have a Test->Add New Test option under the Test menu. It would give the shell of a function and it could have generic name based on the TestClass name.
    Adding new tests isn't that hard, but this would just make it more slick.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Select the failing test when clicking in group summary

When running all tests and the Test Explorer is in 'Show Tests Hierarchy' mode, all tests are grouped by project and collapsed.
    If a test is now failing, the Group Summary window shows it (and all parent nodes of the failing test show it has a failing test), but it would be nice to be able to double click on 'x Test Failed' in the Group Summary window to expand to the (first) failing test in that group

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. have an icon only view in the test explorer window

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351745/have-an-icon-only-view-in-the-test-explorer-window.html
    When I am running my unit tests, I don't really care to see the names of the tests. I'm much more interested in the red(x) vs green(check) icons - and more specifically, just the failing tests. If a test fails, I can click on it to see it's name - since I'm usually double-clicking it to navigate to the test itself. I would love to see an icon-only view, such as the one in the attached mockup I created.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add feature to apply Shared steps to multiple test cases in bulk.

I will have 300-400 test cases that we want to apply shared steps to. To apply one takes 6 clicks. It's a nightmare. It sure seems like there's a need to apply shared steps in bulk like so many other wonderful bulk edit options. This came 5 years ago. Can we get it some traction again?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. It would be great for Coded UI Test to support testing efforts for SSRS reports.

MS should add support to testing SSRS reports with Coded UI. Companies use these report feature extensively and when changes are made to DB's some great efforts is needed to be made to validate all reports are still functional. Coded UI would work great for this you just need to add the support for Reports in Coded UI testing. Currently you cannot test reports with Coded UI as Coded UI will not recognize most of the reporting controls.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Play sound after unit test run

I can already play a sound after a build succeeds or fails. Please extend this by letting us play a sound when ALL my unit tests pass and a different sound if ANY of them fail. There is an extension (Ding) that does this, but it doesn't look like it supports VS2017.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Option to run a test until it fails

Add an option to run a unit test or group of unit tests until a test fails.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Please provide live unit testing in the visual studio SKU Professional

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351707/please-provide-live-unit-testing-in-the-visual-stu.html
    Please provide live unit testing in the visual studio SKU Professional as its only available in Enterprise Edition

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Show the Test Explorer when I click Run tests from the Test menu, not when the tests finish

When I go Test -> Run -> All Tests, currently the Text Explorer shows only when the tests finish, which doesn't make any sense. Some test suites last quite a while and I've no way of knowing whether the tests even started until they finish and the Test Explorer has opened. Also, I have no idea of the progress of the tests unless the Test Explorer is open so I have no idea why anyone thought keeping it closed until they all finish was a good idea.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Generate unit tests for public properties via "Create Unit Tests"

A public property in c# is like this:

public String ThisWillNotGenerateAUnitTest {
    get {
    return "";
    }
    }

Properties should be covered by the "Create Unit Tests" (e.g. when you right click on the name of a class and select "Create Unit Tests.").

This would save a lot of time and encourage better test coverage.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 20 21

Feedback and Knowledge Base