Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Team Explorer needs better support for multiple Git accounts and repositories across VSTS and Github

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351802/team-explorer-needs-better-support-for-multiple-gi.html
    Most developers have multiple accounts across VSTS and GitHub. Additionally within a single VS instance they may want to use different accounts for different sets of repositories both inside and outside VSTS. Currently you can only be signed in to a single Git account at a time. You have to remember to sign out before trying to connect to another repo that uses a different account. It seems like the account association can be managed better such that we can specify which account…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please provide the feature to raise PR between two different repository in bitbucket

I can not raise PR from visual studio between my fork repository and main repository in bitbucket. Please provide the feature

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. move code from one team project collection to another without loosing history

move code from one team project in one collection to another team project in another TPC. like just move a folder that contain code without loosing history. we are looking for this feature. we are using on premise tfs 2015 and migrating to tfs 2018 on prem.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. On Creating Git Local Branch have the option for selecting Work Item - This can then be used to set Branch Name

I find the naming of branches to be somewhat messy. If there was an option of using a Work Item for the branch, then it could use this to create some name, instead of manually entering one.

At present we name it something like Task32123 or Bug43212. So selecting an item, could automatically do this. And then could be used as a default when committing. And Possibly even shown in the Branch menu to quickly access the work item to view. Would add a level of clarity.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. auto link to git commit id in VSTS work item text fields (discussion, description,...)

Current discusion text filed of a work item allows creation of auto links to developpers (using @), to pull requests (using !) and to orther work items (using #).
    Could we have the same capability for linking to git commit ids (could be done by extending the ! linking proposals

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. VSTS: copy work item title and http link

current Visual studio team service (AzureDevOps) allows to copy work item title through a specific button. (right hand side of the work item title).
    It would be most useful to get a copy of both the title and the associated http link so that work items references can be exchanged through mails/ reports,...

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add "Open Powershell" from Git Changes "Action" options.

The Actions drop down lists "Open Command Prompt" and I'd also like to see "Open Powershell"

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. How to sort backlog or sprint items by different columns like sort by Assigned To, State etc

I would like to sort the items of backlog or sprints. For example I would like to sort items by Assigned To, State etc.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Allow filter pull requests by date completed

We tag our user stories with the version of the product that they were introduced in. It can be time consuming to review changes to determine which are relevant to a particular release.

One thing that would help is to be able to filter the list of completed pull requests by date. Then we could more easily identify changes introduced to master between two known release dates.

More broadly speaking, it'd be great if we could filter user stories based on attributes of attached pull requests and vice versa. At this time, they seem to be completely unrelated, except that…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. TFS client should allow for Include/Check-in parts of file, instead of the whole edited file or nothing.

Note: This is using TFS for Source Control, not Git.

I did a rollback of a changeset that removed files, because I realized we still need those files. I forgot to include the csproj in the checkin, and have added additional files since then.

If I could Include specific lines in the csproj to pending changes, then I don't have to delete those lines in the csproj to properly checkin the fix for the changeset above, while not polluting the checkin with irrelevant changes.

All git committing clients support this, by using `git add -i` or Git Extensions allows for…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add 'Compare with [External Diff Program]' options to the Compare context menu

For ex., "Compare with Beyond Compare..." option to enable occasional use of external diff program.

You could add these in the Setting dialog, so you can use these sometimes in-lieu-of the built-in, which works decently sometimes.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Git history should fully support emoji

Git history does currently show emoji, but the images are not colored and are difficult to discern.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Team Explorer - show Changes, Branches and Sync at the same time

In Team Explorer, I spend a lot of time going back and forth between Changes, Branches and Sync. I wish there was a way to show them all on the screen at the same time.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow to have Source Code plug-in selection as Auto

At present source code plugin selection shows option as None or installed plugins which user have to select manually under Tools -> options -> source code menu. Have option as Auto to detect and apply the right plug-in based on project/solution.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Automatic reload of project file after merge conflict

When I get a merge conflict on a project file and use VS to merge it I always have to manually reload the project file after.
    VS should automatically reload after merge conflict has been resolved ,

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Install git support by default

Who does not use Git?
    Who uses Team Foundation Services or whatever?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Log the sources and result of a Merge when a merge conflict is resolved to allow later review.

More often than we would like we find that something went wrong in a previous merge that caused incorrect changes to be checked in. We would like a method to review the merge after the fact so we can identify the cause and apply any corrective actions that are required.
    This could be turned off via a setting, but we should be able to make this merge log be a mandatory part of a check-in.
    This would require the TFS tools to detect that a merge was required and flag the checked out file in the user's workspace that the…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 希望添加推送某个提交到另一个版本的功能

希望添加 git cherry-pick commitId 的功能 谢谢

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19

Feedback and Knowledge Base