Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Need a better way to build nuget packages during build

Need a better way to build nuget packages during build

The new .NET core feature to generate packages is nice for extremely simple scenerios. When you have a number of projects though that are in active development it gets very difficult to manage things like version numbers, release notes, etc. There needs to be a way to be an easier way.

Some things to think about
    - Versioing based on git commit or PR ID
    - Release notes based on PR or commit series notes
    - Globalby properties for entire solution (Product, Author, License URL, Repository URL, Comany, etc).
    -…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Named Tabs

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351649/named-tabs.html
    What would be wonderful in Visual Studio would be the ability to create named sets of open tabs.

Scenario: I’m working on bug 101 and I have six tabs open. Suddenly I need to switch to another bug. I tap Tools->SaveTabs and name it Bug-101. I then close all the tabs and open the new tabs I need. Once done, I close all those tabs and click Tools->Restore Tabs -> Bug-101 and I’m back where I was, with all the right tabs open.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add checkbox to include symbols in Nuget Package on "Package" tab.

There's already a tab that will generate a Nuget package when I compile. it would be infinitely useful if we could enable this package to be build with the "-Symbols" flag so that we can debug the nuget packages we made.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Copy the tasks from one story to another inside backlog in VSTS

There should be a feature in the Backlog in VSTS, that allows user to copy multiple tasks added under one user story , and paste to another.
    Copy shall include a clone of all the details included in the tasks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Ability to keep project notes in Visual Studio

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351730/ability-to-keep-project-notes-in-visual-studio.html
    If Visual Studio does this I apologize for making the suggestion. I would like to be able to create note files that I can place project notes, code snippets, keep track of issues and solutions without going outside of Visual Studio and the project. A simple ability to create a text file that would not compile or attempt to run would be great. I have also tried using OneNote, a great program but there is no way you can turn off the spell…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Clone an existing project of a solution

In our solution we have many projects. Whenever we need to create a new project we clone an existing project using a tool called "CopyWiz" and delete all files we dont need.

One could argue our solution setup is bad, but this is how we do things. Anyway I think it would be nice if this functionality would be integrated into VS.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Addition to the top of the window of Vissual Studio

For us green beginners, at the top of the window that displays the project name, could the file name be added so when comparing our work with samples from text books that have the same name we can tell which one we are looking at. Is too easy for me to get very lost in this learning curve.

I have not ventured into the compare file thing yet. I am suffering from brain overload now.

Regards, Harroun

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Assigned to filter in Plans

We don't have dedicated Scrum teams and therefore, some team members have work in more than one Team. I'd like to create a Plan to view my direct reports' work across different teams, so I'd like the Field Criteria to include the option to filter for 'Assigned To'.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Copy project multiple parameters to another one

It's possible to delete multiple parameters inside a project properties but impossible to copy them to another project

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 右键菜单里有external tools

右键菜单里有external tools

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Sort entries in .filters files on save

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351699/sort-entries-in-filters-files-on-save.html
    We commonly run into merge conflicts on .filters files when multiple devs add files at the same time. Could we not sort the entries before save to avoid most of the conflicts?

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Simplify Template Updates

Make it easier for Visual Studio users to work with the latest version of templates installed on their workstations.

For example, I just updated Visual Studio, then created a brand-new MVC web project.

Compiled project, tested it, stopped debugging.

Then Manage Nuget References, and found 18 updates!!!

Either a) update project templates as you update Visual Studio, b) Check project templates the same way you check for extensions or c) use Yeoman and let other people update project templates for you.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Provide first-class support for "traversal" projects

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351677/provide-first-class-support-for-traversal-projects.html
    When dealing with large code projects with hundreds or thousands of files, Visual Studio solution files are not an adequate "solution" (pun accidental).

Solution files are not easy to manage and check-in to source control. They are not easily human-readable and are not easy to edit and update as files change. Furthermore, a very large code base could end up having hundreds of solution files in hundreds of different folders, making it a maintenance nightmare to keep all the solution files up-to-date.

The…

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Expose "ReferenceOutputAssembly" project reference metadata in Properties window

Yes, in the same way you expose "Copy local" or "Aliases" properties of the reference.
    So that we can create project references without creating assembly references (which is useful when some assemblies are loaded dynamically, via IoC). More details on the metadata to expose: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/kirillosenkov/2015/04/04/how-to-have-a-project-reference-without-referencing-the-actual-binary/

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add Code Search Extension by default to all new projects

The Code Search Extension adds the ability to search semantically across all source files within a project. This seems like it should be core functionality in VSTS rather than an extension. Either integrate this functionality directly into the system or enable this extension on all new projects by default.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Fix resources in shared projects

Currently a resx and designer.cs in a shared project compile but one needs to edit them manually to add a new resource, projects that have resources that use the shared resources fail (for example a Form in a project that references a shared project will not load if it uses a bitmap from the shared project).

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Enable precompiled headers in Linux projects

It is already possible to use precompiled headers in C++ Android projects, the same functionality however is missing for Linux.

The solution is already around the corner, as described here:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/42a8d355-2586-4cf3-9356-124b7c7de378/linux-development-with-vs-using-precompiled-headers-with-gcc?forum=vcgeneral

Make it possible to use the compiler switch '-x c++-header'.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add an Open In VSCode Option

Frequently I will switch back and forth between VS and VSCode because there are a lot of text editing capabilities in VSCode that aren't available in VS Proper. I would like a quick option to be able to "Open in Code" from inside Visual Studio so that I can quickly make a multi-cursor edit change, or use other features/extensions in VSCode that are not available in Visual Studio.

This wouldn't make sense if the user doesn't have VS Code installed, so this could potentially be a detection from the VS Code installation to notice you have VS, and then prompt…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Ability to split a feature across Sprints

We have one 'Team' that works on several different client facing projects. In order to differentiate the work to each client (as a project in its own right), use 'Feature' to group the stories together, which the dev team uses to create tasks - then the entire content of each sprint normally goes to a release. So we use Feature to denote a project. It's common therefore that a Feature will span across Sprints, but the PLAN view doesn't allow for this - I can't find a way of showing when each customer will be completed, or even forecast it. …

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base