Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add an option in VS & Blend to create StaticResources instead of DynamicResources in WPF projects

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351796/add-an-option-in-vs-blend-to-create-staticresource.html
    I would love to have an extra setting in which you could tell Visual Studio and Blend to use StaticResources instead of DynamicResources. In WPF projects the tools always uses a DynamicResource in XAML. I would love to use the faster StaticResources as default.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Provide a way to change the order attributes are created in the XAML file.

When I drop a TextBlock, for example, the starting attributes applied are:
    HorizontalAlignment Margin TextWrapping Text VerticalAlignment

And they are placed in that order. Which appears to alphabetic.

Create a mechanism that alters the order they are added in. For example insert according to like functionality. The old forms properties viewers used to have a way to view by functional group. This same pattern could be used here.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Fix GridSplitter to honor grid boundaries

GridSplitter has the unfortunate tendency to push controls outside the visible area when minimum width/height values are defined and the user drags the splitter to the point where the minimum height/width is reached.

Instead, I would expect it to stop at the minimum height/width and stop.

Attached are some screen captures of a grid with a star-sized top row with a minimum height and a fixed-sized bottom row before and after the splitter is dragged to reach the top row's minimum height.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. provide a way for WPF applications to easily hide their windows from ALT+Tab

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351728/provide-a-way-for-wpf-applications-to-easily-hide.html
    Currently, there is ShowInTaskbar=false you can do to hide your window from the task bar, but in order to hide a window from ALT+Tab, you must do that and change the WindowStyle=ToolWindow. I don't like ToolWindow generally, and it does not maximize properly which makes it undesirable for end-users.

There should be a ShowInTaskView=false or something to that effect for me to control that indvidually, or at least publish something that shows what the proper user32.dll call is so we can do it…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. WPFにて容易にWindow Styleを操作できるクラスの要望(WindowChromeの後継クラス)

WPFのウィンドウをカスタマイズする上で、Visual StudioやZuneのような外観を作成するのに苦労をします。
    WindowChromeをベースに編集しても、タイトルバーサイズの調整やMinimized, Maximized, Closeの際のアニメーションなど大掛かりな変更が必要になります。
    そこでWindowsのThemeで設定されている定数を容易にアクセスでき、システムコマンドやアニメーションもデフォルトのクラスを新規に起こしてほしいと願います。

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Extend xml:space to support "remove" for TextBlock and RichTextBlock Run Collections

This is an extremely easy and non-breaking way to solve the long-running problem of undesired spaced between <Run> elements in a <Run> collection. Not having inner text between the <Run> elements in the XAML source doesn't really work because generally we want the XAML editor to support reformatting by nicely breaking <Run> elements onto separate lines. Extending xml:space to support "remove" means existing code will not be broken, but developers can add the tag to instruct the parser to discard the entire inner text if it is all whitespace. If MS is worried about a conflict with possible future XML…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Build UWP application where I should be able to link it without compiling.

Have you seen Google/Samsung wrist watches? Off Couse you did. If you would like to change the interface of the watch you can replace with a fee about $1.00 to $3.00, but those are images. Now we are working on 4K monitors and 8K monitors are available if you want to pay. As resolutions are improving the application interfaces getting smaller and smaller. My desktop clocks are Not images, but vector applications. If someone bought my desktop clock, I want to offer 100+ interfaces. The problem is, UWP doesn’t allow that. If you want to use any library, you must…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. I need no crome on vector application

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351690/i-need-no-crome-on-vector-application.html
    I have some controls (for example small desktop clock) which I build with vectors. I don't need any title bar. I don't need window frame. I just want to enlarge my application by dragging bottom right corner. I provided you the sample, compile it and run it.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. what new rss-feed

Put Back the RSS-Feed for new posted applications to subscriptions Downloads.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Fix initial size of Slider WPF control

Please fix initial size of Slider WPF control after dropping into designer.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. support incremental appx generation

For large products, like games, with content directories tens of gigabytes in size, running tools like MakeAppx.exe to build an appx package can take a very long time.

This makes testing the product it its final form (as a real appx, with associated sandbox restrictions, not as a dev-registered folder) a painfully slow process.

This pain could be reduced by supporting add/update/remove file options to MakeAppx. This would allow callers to build an appx once and then make quick incremental changes for only those files that have changed.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add empty UWP project

Please add an empty UWP project template for C#/C++, similar to win32 one. Such template would be very useful for iterating and trying out code without having to deal with overhead of XAML. Currently you have to type it out manually.

I attached a sample empty UWP program in C# to this feedback item.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Provide UWP File Pickers with the RenderTransform property

My UWP app has the ability to be rotated 180 degrees (it's being designed for a horizontal touch screen).
    I find that I can rotate pretty much everything in the app, e.g. controls / framework elements etc, using code like this...

public static void RotateElement(FrameworkElement e)
    {
    RotateTransform rot = new RotateTransform();
    rot.Angle = 180;
    e.RenderTransformOrigin = new Windows.Foundation.Point(.5, .5);
    e.RenderTransform = rot;
    }

But I've now hit a road block...

The UWP File Picker dialogs do not have any RenderTransform properties.

Please add RenderTransform property to UWP File Pickers

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add SVG as a supported format to the UWP asset generator

The asset generator (used for icons) currently only imports PDF or AI as vector images. Please add SVG support.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. In WPF-Development, drag the XAML-Editor into an own Window, same with WPF-Designer

I want to drag the XAML-Editor into an own Window, same with the WPF-Designer

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Provide an option to disable hover tooltips for collapsed regions in xaml editor

The tooltip is extremly annoying in xaml files. (I guess in html files as well)
    When navigation with the keyboard, the tooltip often opens and blocks the full screen when the mouse is over a collapsed region.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. HeightLines Property for TextBox in UWP

Would be line if you could set the height of a TextBox using number of Lines. Example:

<!-- Set TextBox Height to 10 lines (REQUESTED FEATURE)-->
    <TextBox HeightLines="10" AcceptsReturn="true"/>

<!-- Set TextBox Height to 300 pixels (CURRENT ONLY PIXELS)-->
    <TextBox Height="300" AcceptsReturn="true"/>

The reason why its a good idea to at HeightLine property is that it allows everything to be done in XAML, setup the FontSize, FontFamily, and the Pixels size expands to match exactly 10 lines.

And it can be made compatible with Height in Pixels Property. When HeightLine=-1 then the height is set with Height Property. When HeightLine…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add Razor functionality to XamarinForm/WPF

Please add razor functionality to Xamarin Forms and WPF(the ability to load content dynamically and load it into ContentPage.See attachment.

Thank You
    Talley

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base