Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to run/debug test methods from the code editor itself

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351806/ability-to-rundebug-test-methods-from-the-code-edi.html
    Resharper adds a unique capability where you there is a small icon besides every Test Method and Test Class which allows you to run the either all the test methods in that test class or a particular test method right from the Code Editor. Even in VS 2017, you have to find the method in the Test Explorer and then run/debug the tests. It would be nice to have a feature parity with Restharper in this.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Re-style the Merge Conflicts Dialog

There is something about the way the Resolve Merge Conflicts dialog works that causes me not to see the selected item. For some reason my attention is drawn to the second item in the list and so when I click a button (e.g. to Keep the Server Version), I'm applying that action to a different file than I think (and the one I just acted on goes away before I realize what I just did). Not sure how actionable that feedback is, but it's happened to me enough times now that I thought I'd submit it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add Architecture features to VS2017 IDE

As a freelance contract developer, I often need to understand a client project and solution. I need to refactor systems to improve performance/maintenance/artichture. I cannot justify the cost or a client does not provide VS Enterprise. Being able to use these tools even if a option to buy add-on would be useful

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Enable inline-viewing of a Partials Conent

Regarding partials...it would be awesome if you could "click/right-click/clickity-click" (whatever) on the partials reference and view its' content from the current (parent view) container.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Hot keys for docking document

It would be nice to control docked IDE documents via hot keys. For example:
    • [Modifiers + LeftKey]: move document to the left
    • [Modifiers + RightKey]: move document to the right

So, with [Ctrl+Tab] there is a possibility to resort all the documents without annoying mouse. For example, I consider the following use cases:

• Compare two docked (they was on the same side before)
    • Keep headers (.h) to the left, source (.cpp) to the right side when it is necessary.
    • Keep interfaces (.cs) to the left, implementation (.cs) to the right side when it is necessary.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Tool tips when mousing over variable disappear when VS window loses focus, would be nice if they were configurable to persist

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351761/tool-tips-when-mousing-over-variable-disappear-whe.html
    They could be configured to persist until clicking elsewhere in Visual Studio?

That way I could switch to another app to take notes about the values when debugging a process. Now if I switch focus the tooltip immediately disappears

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Improve the newly added file symbol "+" for better visibility on VS UI

The "+" symbol is too similar with the symbol "c#" in terms of colors and sizes, making it difficult to find where is the newly added files in a glance. Please change one of them to make it easier to find things in a glance.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. IntelliSense delays context menu

Show context menu without waiting for IntelliSense to update and show menu items related to IntelliSense as inactive and being updated, e.g.

Go To Definition (updating)

If you need to invoke an IntelliSense command you can wait for update to finish and menu item to become active.

This will get rid of situations when you open context menu for an unrelated purpose and IntelliSense stalls Visual Studio and renders it completely unresponsive for minutes! This hurts productivity very much!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. update

Add extension update policy to minimize "busy wait":
    - download in background and update manually / at exit
    - download and update automatically (when())
    Maybe provide a little LINQ language so we can customize things like `Extensions.Where().DownloadWhen().ThenUpdateWhen()`

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. comment signature

Would it be possible to add signature to bulk comment made on work items?

Currently we update many work items at once putting same comment into it, options with @ or # work only for single work item at the time.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow PrintPreview to print more than 1 page & specify which pages

PrintPreview is too elementary. It will only print one page and you cannot select which page to print. It is nice to use PrintPreview to see what my pages look like, but then I have to switch to Printer so I can select which pages I am printing or all pages. A functionality like the Printer would be nice, where I can print all or selected pages.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Show prerelease version in package.json with Intellisense

When editing package.json in .net core project, Intellisense shows the latest "stable" version of packages as we hit the package name and proceed to version specification.

However, sometimes we need to install a prerelease version of a package. Is it possible to update Intellisense to let users optionally install prerelease versions?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Folder Description

General Description - Within Visual Studio I see the use for a description box within the Properties box in the solution explorer. These can be applied to anything, and would supply an enhanced user interface experience to anyone involved in a project. This can be stored as metadata, and would assist with comprehension of why objects exist where they do, and to what purpose.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Remove ALL Recent Projects or don't show

Please add an option to totally clean the Recent List projects from startup or have option that we don't want any history on the list or we can limit up to 3 or 4 recent projects. Very annoying!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. An idea about tabs movement in visual studio.

The first tab should be able to move all the other tabs, for example by holding down shift while dragging.

This is just an idea, in my opinion it would make perfect sense, but I can see that it would take a long time to make it so.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Color Theme

There should be a mode auto to change the theme (Day - Night, Ligth - Dark)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Unidade com os projetos para a melhor compatibilidade entre várias versões do próprio programa.

Unidade com os projetos para a melhor compatibilidade entre várias versões do próprio programa.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 37 38

Feedback and Knowledge Base