Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. visual studio setup project with multiple projects selection to install

my idea is to make an options to install in setup project.
    if i have more than 2 projects in my installer.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. suggestion in same UI

it does make sense to let me provide suggestion from the same UI, where I pressed "provide suggestion". And please, dont make me to search to existing suggestion. You will not get it from me if you do so... Why do I need to select category if I pressed button in VS Updater? God...

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Compact Visual Studio Community for Unity

Please, could you make Visual Studio Community 2017 for Unity compact as Codelite ?

Less hard disc size (Codelite is only 170 MB ) and faster boot and faster compiling.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. compare publish

When you publish a web project, it creates the output in the bin/release folder. When you repeat the process, you should have the option to rename the most recent folder to previous, so a compare between the previous publish and latest publish to see what the difference are.

Or event use a different release folder naming convention to something like ReleaseYYYYMMDDHHMM.

I manually do this today, so when I plan to push out a new release, I can just deploy the differences to make it quicker to update the UAT or PROD websites.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Inherit the features filled for a story(such as application,Changepoint TLP, Release date etc) to the Linked items tasks/defects/test cases

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351688/inherit-the-features-filled-for-a-storysuch-as-app.html
    Inherit the features filled for a story(such as application ,Change point TLP, Release date etc.) to the Linked items tasks/defects/test cases instead of again asking to fill the same.

Suppose user created a story by giving all fields such as Application Name, Change point details, release details, org details etc. If that story is used to create a new work items such as Defect, Task, Test Cases all those generic fields (Application Name, Change point details, release details, org details etc.) should be…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. make a provision for exporting test cases on baisis of folders they are into. For us folders equal to features

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351666/make-a-provision-for-exporting-test-cases-on-baisi.html
    1. Our requirement if for reporting and management.
    We need List of test cases with their feature infor (folder they belong) and properties like tile, ID, Automation status etc.

2. Export brings all steps etc. which might not be required at times. we need just the titles for report. this makes files too bulky to even load. can we have that option added too (export with titles and explicit properties)

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. ADD JAVA AND PHP

Add a place for run java and php so we dont have to download alot other app to run it we can just run it VS or from VS to html

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. facility to add existing folders inside solution

There is no feature to insert or add existing folder inside solution or project, we have to create a folder first and then add the existing item.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. how many users are there for all Projects and Collections

To find out how many users are there for all Projects and Collections in a TFS Instance.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Ai full use for better code automatic suggestions and smart auto-completion.

When I start typing "private boo" and hit enter it suggests Boo instead of bool.

If I type "for" it does not sugget for (int i = 0; i<length; i++)
    and pressing CtrK+S is very dificult

It can be nice if a good Ai learns and suggest the auto-completion.
    It can be nice if Visual Studio uses more Ai more often using user data.

ps: And include an English dictionary

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. VS2017,单文档,新建一个对话框,在对话框上拖一个Edit Control控件, 在Edit Control上右击添加变量怎么都不能添加自定义类型了,添加CString类型,自动变成int型,而且也不与控件自动相关联了,用类向导为IDC_EDIT1添加变量,也没有自动关联。

VS2017,单文档,新建一个对话框,在对话框上拖一个Edit Control控件, 在Edit Control上右击添加变量怎么都不能添加自定义类型了,添加CString类型,自动变成int型,而且也不与控件自动相关联了,用类向导为IDC_EDIT1添加变量,也没有自动关联。而且添加变量的时候没有Category选项,本来应该是Value的

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add ability to debug async-await code in Unity 2017

Currently any code with async-await pattern would not show any local variable when hitting the break point. There's only a "this" variable but nothing useful is shown.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Better handling of Unity meta data files

When deleting and moving items and folders in Visual Studio via the Solution Explorer, VSTU doesn't seem to always deal with the meta files. I often get a meta data file warning when returning to the Unity editor. It would be nice if VSTU could automatically move or delete meta data files as required.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. suggestion must do

please con you tell us that loading is normal when it be late for three days

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Drag nad drop control on web form directly from tool box on to web form

In early days of VS2013 one can easily drag and drop control directly on the web form no MSFT made more difficult and time consuming

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. You Should Provide visual Studio Free Of Cost Atleast For Students :(

I Want To Work On Visual Studio But Cox Ov Money I Can't :(
    Please Provide It Free Of cost So Everyone Can USe It
    Please...

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Why do not copy the name of the file, only copy the full path

Why do not copy the name of the file, only copy the full path

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 全角空白が混在するとTabの終端位置が揃わない

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ja-JP/5dd10420-0aaa-4ac2-8a73-59939fd4d1bd/visual-studio-2010-?forum=vsgeneralja

上記と同じ現象がVS2017で発生している。
    インデントの考え方としておかしいと思うがどうだろうか?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base