Visual Studio IDE

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

NOTE: The Applications Insights forum has moved to the Azure feedback site.

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Indicate the current tab in all TabbedPanes that are not in focus

To avoid confusion I am going to use the word Window to mean a Taskbar Window. I shall use TabbedPane to mean a section of a Taskbar Window which has tabs. (These are referred to as Windows in Visual Studio menu.)

Using Visual Studio I have multiple (up to three) monitors each of which has a Visual Studio Taskbar Window. Each VS Window can have zero or more TabbedPanes. So I frequently have six or more TabbedPanes open with maybe 12-20 tabs in total.. A 'not-in-focus' TabbedPage has all the tabs the same color. There is no indication which of…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • 3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Background Highlighter in Editor

Quite frequently I'm deep in to mathematical calls to routines I've written in motion control and structural engineering, for instancing testing osculation on a cubic polynomial spline, etc. There is technically no code error, just logical conditions I must test and account for, so I resort to tracing the code. The process could take hours or days. It would be nice to have a highlighter background to mark the lines of code I've checked, and/or to mark the background in places that code should not go.

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • The Go To All feature should ignore generated files

When I use Go To All to navigate to a xaml file it usually lists the cs file generated by Visual Studio of the xaml as the first entry. These should be hidden or shown as the last option.

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • constexpr global variable not listed as "Constants" in ClassView

Global variable:

constexpr size_t MaxElements = 1024;

Is listed under "Variables" in ClassView, and not under "Constants". A 'const' variable goes under "Constants". A constexpr variable must be listed under "Constants

2 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • auto-backup open source code files on a schedule - 1 minute, 5 etc.

My relatively new APC unit experienced a power glitch and I lost some editing done on source files :(. Yes, I use GIT and commit a lot but not every 2 minutes! I mean WORD does this - why not the more important text (source) files open in the VS-2017 IDE?

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • option for virtual methods to be stored in instance instead of vtable for speed

When doing some very time critical processes and still wanting the flexibility of virtual methods, in the constructor I save a delegate that points to the virtual method. This is faster than calling the virtual method because of the vtable lookup. But if built into .net and the c# language it could be even faster. I could see this being defined in code by adding the this keyword for example: public this virtual type Name(parameters).

2 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Show release notes about VS updates in notification window so I can choose whether to update

VS2017 has a notifications window. When there are new releases you get a yellow icon showing a new notification, and if you click it it will tell you that there is a new VS release. The problem is there is no way to tell at that point if you want to upgrade to the new release or not, because there is no obvious way to view the release notes. You need to provide a direct link to the release notes so I can decide whether the update is worthwhile or whether I can ignore it for now.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Add Ctr-F find to the text debug inspector

The text debug inspector is great for looking into strings or log in memory, what would make it assume is if the Ctrl-F quick find function worked in it, so for big bits of text we could skip to keywords etc.

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Visual Studio installer should only prompt you to close VS AFTER downloading updates

Ok so I have a 12Mbps connection and VS requested me to update. It tells me to close VS and I've lost around an HOUR of downloading because for some reason it's downloading at 1Mbps instead of 12Mbps. VS should download IN BACKGROUND before telling you to close VS. It's just stupid.

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • check key constraint trust in Schema Compare

When comparing schemas, there needs to be an option to compare the trust of constraints - especially foreign key constraints. For example, if Database A includes a foreign key [FK_Foobar] that is trusted while Database B has a foreign key [FK_Foobar] on Table [dbo].[MyTable] that is not trusted then Schema Compare should produce a statement such as the following to bring them into sync:

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[MyTable] WITH CHECK CHECK CONSTRAINT [FK_Foobar]

This is needed since several data deployment tools (including SSDT disable constraints as part of a deployment then re-enable the constraints without checking the existing data.

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • TFS Boards - Add Id to collapsed items (closed or otherwise) to allow quick view

Add Id to collapsed items (closed or otherwise) with link to allow quick view of items that are closed. Right now it is title only so if you know the item by Id, it really disappears in the view

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • backup projects on the user accounts

backup all project to the user account and would be nice if it automatically updates the backed up projects once the user closes visual studio.

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • In references of and property separate who set from who get.

In the editor the references for an object are displayed, in the case of variables, it could be separated into two groups, who get the variable and who set it.

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Option to add folder to solution

When documenting solution it invites placing the documentation into a separate folder under solution. In the current mode there are two options I can find:
                                1. drag a folder from Windows Explorer into previously created 'Solution Items' folder
                                2. add items to solution adds them to the root instead of a desired flder

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Visual Studio Test Explorer needs more features

Test Explorer needs
                                  1) A History of tests run locally from Visual Studio. Like VSTS has a history of Tests run from Releases.
                                  2) A way to associate a Test with a Story/Bug in VSTS. A common thing we have going on is a test will fail and then a Bug will be raised but there is no connection being made between the failing Test and the Bug in VSTS.
                                  3) The Test Output screen only allows you to Copy and Paste the entire contents of the Test Output. Usually all I need to do is copy a few words…

22 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • It should be possible to edit TFS 2017 Builds directly in Visual Studio instead of the Web Interface, like it is with XAML Builds

In earlier versions of TFS you had XAML Builds. In the Team Explorer in Visual Studio you could click on "Add new Build to Queue". This opened a window in Visual Studio to start a new Build. Everything else regarding this Build also opened in Visual Studio directly.
                                    Now (with new TFS Builds, instead of XAML Builds) instead of a Window in Visual Studio everything opens as a new Tab in Edge (or whatever Browser is active). It would be good if TFS-Builds also could be edited in Visual Studio.

PS: Sorry if the part of the Translation is a…

2 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Add more ways to create Setup and Deploy projects

Visual Studio 2017 lacks possibilities for creating setups (installers) for desktop applications.

It is possible to create only simple setup project (in 2017 as extension: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=VisualStudioProductTeam.MicrosoftVisualStudio2017InstallerProjects):

Now even InstallShield LE was removed from 2017: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/4d53933d-2329-4e21-b434-780f85abfd55/installshield-with-visual-studio-2017?forum=visualstudiogeneral

so there are basically no options for setup and deployment.

Please add some new setup/deployment projects - like Inno Setup or NSIS.

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Languages - Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Don't put other than solution files in VS2017's jumplist

I don't see a reason to fill up recent and jumplist with csproj?, VisualStudio cannot (normally?) work without solution files anyway, so why fill these lists with unnessesary stuff?
                                        Or let me have an filter for what to put in them.

2 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • 3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base