Visual Studio IDE

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

NOTE: The Applications Insights forum has moved to the Azure feedback site.

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add the "isnt" keyword

Simple suggestion, please add a new keyword: "isnt"

This would make code clearer and more readable. So rather than

if (!(myObject is ClassType)) { ... }

you would write

if (myObject isnt ClassType) { ... }

Looks clearer and provides a positive match rather than a negative match.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Navigation bar customization

since in vs2017 fields and constants are included in the members list of de navigation bar, I should be able to customize what to see. In my case is too much unneeded information.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Reduce the RAM footprint. 10 cores, 10 gig RAM and it uses nearly 100% of the resources. Not worth it as it is right now.

There's absolutely no benefit to using VS 2017 the way it grabs all of the resources right now. I'm seriously considering recommending that our team move back to 2013 because of this.

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Populate "Go to Work item" dialog if a user selected ID in the editor.

All TODO: comments in our code have to include the work item number. It will be nice if I can just put a cursor in the TODO: line, click "Go to Work item", and it figures it out and take me directly to that work item.

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Change DoDataExchange to use a tooltip

With DoDataExchange, when using a CComboBoxEx it uses a nice tooltip to tell the user that the data is not numeric.

But for validation, it uses popup message box. I think it would be nicer to show a tooltip like in the other example with the information.

Can this be considered please?

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Hola Microsoft, mi idea es la siguiente: Quisiera que el Visual Studio 2017 tenga una seccion mini juegos para cuando la clase este aburrida

Hola Microsoft, mi idea es la siguiente: Quisiera que el Visual Studio 2017 tenga una seccion mini juegos para cuando la clase este aburrida

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Windows Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Add restrict keyword to intellisense

I would like to see the C11 keyword restrict added to intellisense. You'd say, why, we don't have a C11 compiler! I use Clang/LLVM with VS2017. Clang does support C11, however. It can easily be added, as there is no requirement that restrict does anything at all (actually the program is supposed to run exactly (functionally) as if that keyword we're not there, that's a requirement). It just looks so ugly when there are squiggly lines all over the place, and often those interfere with other valid code.

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Languages - Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • "Manage nuget packages for solution" on macOS

VS on MacOS has terrible nuget package managment. I need a page like 'Manage nuget packages for solution' on windows, where I can see all packages installed in each project, tick relevant projects, and perform actions like install, uninstall, update etc like I can on windows. Only got 4 projects here, but updating a package means going to each one and right clicking update package in the solution explorer - because I don't want it to update everything!

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • F8 cycles through differences/messages endlessly without notifying (pressing on the last one skips to the first one) which is inconvenient

When pressing F8 (in default keyboard layout) for going to the next difference (Diff.NextDifference command in Difference viewer) or for going to next message in Output windows it is not anyhow indicated that the last difference/message was reached. Visual Studio switches automatically to the first one without any notification (it's "cycling").

It's quite inconvenient because typically I need to go through all differences/messages only once. I must still switch my eye-focus from edited text to the scrollbar on the right to check the file or output messages were gone through completely. It is especially annoying when the differences or error…

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Make redirecting Visual Studio downloads easier.

Make redirecting Visual Studio downloads easier.

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Improved file copy performance over SSH Release Task in VSTS

I realized the performance of file copy over SSH from VSTS build output in "drop" to remote VM (Ubuntu) is much slower compared to when I use "rsync" over my machine. File copy task over SSH in VSTS took me a few minutes but rsync took me less than one minute on the same file.

I would definitely recommend to check out performance improvement for SSH file copy and possibly adopting "rsync" if it is not used in VSTS SSH file copy task.

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Shut up about "C++ Intellisense information may be out of date, generate CMake cache to refresh"

The highlighted yellow bar is distracting me. I don't need the Intellisense, but I really want to dismiss that line, clicking Generate doesn't help because there are some errors that I don't care, and clicking settings to ask it never generate doesn't work out either.

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • instalación de studio en diferente disco que no sea el principal

Hoy en día casi todos los equipos de desarrollo tienen ssd en sus equipos para agilizar algunos procesos pero no todos podemos costearnos discos ssd de 1t, así que mi idea es que aparte de la unidad principal se pueda instalar studio en un disco que este en otra parte y no en el principal que últimamente son discos ssd

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • update visual studio

I want update Visual Studio in special Time , for example I want update in 2:00 AM that i'm in the bed on this time , If I can set a task for special time that Update start and end on another time that I can Customize it good.

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Searchbox for Recent list on Start Page

The long Recent List on the Start Page is very useful and I use it all the time.

But now that the list is very long and often hides projects that have scrolled off the first page, it would be **really** nice if you could search that list with a search box or other dynamic filter.

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Docking of source code (or any other window) on Top and/or Bottom too

At this moment window docking is only allow right or left. I have a big screen and i wish i could dock the windows above or below any other open window. It would help insane. At this moment (since 2012) is only left or right docking possible

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Unified layout for offline setup for all version of visual studio

The layout for offline setup for all version of visual studio are almost the same and are approx 34.8GB in size. There should be a command by which one can make an offline setup layout for all the version of #VisualStudio in a single folder i.e Enterprise, Professional and Community.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Allow us to update visual studio while we are using it.

some updates are just huge. I have slow connection which makes it painful to update.

Why not just download the entire installations in background without installing them and then attempt to install them? just like windows updates.

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Remapped keyboard shortcuts should affect all local contexts

Adding a keyboard shortcut will not override another shortcut mapped to the same keys in a local context; as a result, setting a keyboard shortcut will not guarantee that the shortcut will work as expected. In order to have the keyboard shortcut work in every expected context, you must search through each contexts for local mappings with that shortcut key, and add in your shortcut for each separately; a time consuming process.

In order to make this process less painful, add a way for the IDE to list which contexts a given shortcut key is set for. This will allow…

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Right Click Compliation Error, Search Internet

One handy feature for dealing with (and learning from) compilation errors is being able to right click any error message in the output list, and have VS automatically run a search on your engine of choice (Bing, Google, Yahoo, Alta Vista, etc).

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base