Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Visual App Studio

i love visual studio

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback! :) We want Visual Studio to be the best IDE for your needs. If you have any specific, actionable suggestions, please feel free to post them on UserVoice. For bug reports, you can report them via Help > Send Feedback > Report a Problem from the Visual Studio IDE.

2. This is nonsense to develop for Windows in C++.

This is nonsense to develop for Windows in C++.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello and thank you for your feedback. Please note that we need specific, actionable feedback in order to be able to take any action. If you have a specific suggestion, please feel free to create a new topic on it. If you have bugs to report, you can file them via Help > Send Feedback > Report A Problem from Visual Studio 2017.

3. C++ Intellisense for large solutions such as Unreal Engine 4 has improved in 15.5

I've noticed that C++ intellisense features have improved in 15.5 for large solutions such as Unreal Engine 4. Features such as member suggestions, goto symbol, goto file, toggle header & code have all improved. This includes the accuracy and performance.
    There's still improvements needed to match accuracy of (Whole Tomato) VisualAssist, but the benefits of just using Intellisense alone is now totally worth it.
    Well done... keep up the Intellisense work!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello and thank you for the feedback! We are always working to improve IntelliSense performance over time. If you have any further suggestions for us, please feel free to post them here on UserVoice. For bug reports and performance slowdowns, you can report specific issues via Help > Send Feedback > Report A Problem in the IDE. Thank you for helping us build a better Visual Studio!

4. add an rss feed to the visual studio gallery

The gallery used to have a feed that I followed so I could get notified when new extensions were added. That feed if gone now. Please bring it back!

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. MAKING EASY LEARNING VISUAL STUDIO

MY IDEA WAS 2 YEAR AGO TO MAKE A PROGRAM WITH WILL LEARN EVERYONE TO USE EASY THE VISUAL STUDIO CODE MY PROGRAM IS NAME VISUAL STUDIO LEAR CODE 2019 THE PROGRAM DATE TO COME OUT IS IN 2019 JANUARY 01 IN THE PROGRAM YOU HAVE ADD WITH YOU CAN ADD TO YOU VISUAL STIDOO PROGRAM WITH GIVING US A OPTION TO MAKE THE CODE WITH OUT WRITING THAT WE CAN JUST SEARCH WHAT WE WANT AND THE ADD PROGRAM WILL FIND THAT AND WILL PUT EERYTHINK FOR YOU IF YO INTRESTING ABOUT TESTING THAT SEND ME EMAIL OR POST…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Value propagation

Dim i, j, k as Integer = 0 '-> All variables are integers and initialized with 0

i = j = k = 2 '-> All variables are receiving the value 2

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add a way to "inherit" sealed classes

At this moment we can extend classes using:
    - inheritance (only unsealed classes)
    - extension methods

But for sealed classes we cannot add fields or properties, and we can not shadow existing methods (I know that it is not possible to override methods in a sealed class).

So it should be nice to have a "shadow" inheritance to make it possible to extend a sealed class.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Sign the installer for the Visual C++ 2015 Build Tools

As of writing, the Visual C++ 2015 Build Tools installer is signed with two certificates that expired in 2016 / early 2017. It extracts an embedded executable, which is also signed by a certificate that expired in 2016. Please sign the installers with currently trusted certs and re-post. Help us build trust!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi! Thank you for contacting us. The signatures on the files within the Visual Studio 2015 Build Tools are valid. They were signed with both a signature and a countersignature. The countersignature contains a timestamp, which is within the expiry range of the signature, thus resulting in a validly signed file.

10. Add signature to function/values (and not only tooltip) for F# like Ionide in Visual Studio Code

It would be nice to have the same functionality for F# in Visual Studio as in C# projects (and in Ionide in Visual Studio Code).

Thanks

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - F# Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Typedef for .NET

Typedefs in C/C++ world are a very useful tool, and something similar is really missing in .NET languages.

Typedefs are used to
    - Shorten complex type definitions
    - Abstract from the actual type in some cases
    - Specify the exact usage of a type

An example of the last usage is what I am facing now. I have different kinds of IDs - database-defined ID, user-defined ID, imported ID, etc - and they all are basically integers, so it is trivial to make a mistake of assigning one to another without a proper look-up. What I'd love to have is…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Can you add in Visual basic an instruction by which we can grab the COM port names AND the DEVICE names that are linked to the Com ports?

With My.Computer.Ports.SerialPortNames we can grab the port names such as Com1, Com2, etc but it would be a blessing to get the names of the devices connected to the ports as well.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. F# projects in VS 2017

Just installed VS Community 2017 15.1 (26403.7) and was surprised not to be able to create F# projects. Some research over the internet left me with the problem. I found the solution in the installer, moving to "single components" tab and selecting "f# language support" option. Maybe it could be easier to select f#. Thanks. P.S. This is just a spot, VS 2017 is great app for non-professional developers like me.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - F# Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There are mulitple ways to install F# support in VS 2017, including the Individual Components tab, the Optional components sections of mulitple Workloads (.NET Desktop, ASP.NET Web development, Data Science, and Xamarin), and is available when searching via ctrl+Q in the VS 2017 editor. Inclusion of F# in the default installation of VS 2017 is something we’ll consider doing at some point in the future in some workloads, but one of the explicit goals of VS 2017 is to not install everything by default. We’re continuing to look at ways to install F# by default where it makes sense based on scenarios people have.

14. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    closed  ·  0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow VB arrays with non zero lower bounds (as in VB6 and VBA)

A modern language restricting arrays to have 0 lower bounds?

By passing this limitation with .NET arrays (created with the Array.CreateInstance method) creates a A LOT of incompatibilities in mixed-language programming.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Change target Windows SDK

I'm working on UWP, but I can't use some of theme resource, so I think it because that theme resource(specifically, color accent theme resource) are only available in SDK build 10.0.14393. However, VS2017 doesn't have an option to change SDK version and doesn't show project targeted SDK, I think VS2017 still target older version of SDK that was included when I selected UWP development when I installed VS2017. So, I hope VS team will add at least something to indicate project's targeted SDK or even better an option to change it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Make it possible to generate solutions / projects from CMake in a user specified location.

Currently, CMake import generates solutions and projects in your personal home folder C:\Users\name\....

Make it possible to let the user provide the location to generate these files in.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello, I would recommend checking out Visual Studio 2017’s native support for CMake. It lets you work with CMake projects without needing to generate project files or Solutions at all. To open a CMake project click File > Open > Folder and point it to the root of your CMake project and source code.

As Paul said below, you can then control where the build tree is generated by modifying the “buildRoot” property of CMakeSettings.json. You can learn more about Visual Studio 2017’s native CMake support and how to configure it here : https://aka.ms/cmake

18. Bring #define (for cource-code-defined text substitution macros) to Vb.Net (and C#)!

I propose to add a keyword that behaves like C's #define. To define pre compiler text substitutions in code. Hopefully this will also allow advanced users to define their own keywords and to unofficially add shortcut for vb' expressive syntax. It would improve productivity because code can be effectively 'compressed', meaning that developers would have to type less to get more!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Extend the With statement in Visual Basic

Take the following code:

object1.prop1 = object2.prop1
    object1.prop2 = object2.prop2
    object1.prop3 = object2.prop3

Using the current With statement, I can rewrite this to:
    With object1
    .prop1 = object2.prop1
    .prop2 = object2.prop2
    .prop3 = object2.prop3
    End with

To minimize the amount of typing, I'd like a second objectExpression in the With statement:

With object1, object2
    .prop1 = .prop1
    .prop2 = .prop2
    .prop3 = .prop3
    End with

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Provide an easy to find portal where a developer can find the services already purchased on an account.

Please provide a page with a link from the main Visual Studio Services page where I can see the services my account is currently subscribed to.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Developer Community  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 376 377

Feedback and Knowledge Base