Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Rather than a 36.5GB download (far too much for anything other than a corporate server with a T1 pipe)break this download into 12 parts

Rather than a 36.5GB download (far too much for anything other than a corporate server with a T1 pipe)break this download into 12 parts and when all are downloaded allow them to combine and load this will save much time 36.5GB is far too much or at least add a progress bar because the circular/flat dots is a sever pain as MS used to do in the days of Win98.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi there, would love to know where you’re being offered a single 36GB file. I’m not aware of any place where we distribute Visual Studio legitimately as a single file in this nature – MSDN offers a web installer, and even the ISO image is 3.7GB. We download other parts of Visual Studio in components. Please let us know where you’re seeing this, so we can help you further.

Thanks, Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

3. Better message for Open Project failure when opening VS Cordova project

When trying to open a Cordova project in VS without Cordova installed it would be nice to have a better message than "Can't open Incompatible project". Maybe something like "Cannot open project as Cordova is not installed".

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Azure Marketplace App for windows 10

Windows 10 has Windows App Store pre-installed
    It would be better to pre-install Azure Store [which allows the user to browse azure marketplace apps and install in local machine]
    an upgrade to Windows Platform Installer

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Windows Azure Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. GaaS gide render host service

I hope to Add Nivida GaaS for stream GIDE rendering
    like Amazon GaaS host server for games stream on real time rendering

link
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/cloud-gaming.html

link
    https://developer.nvidia.com/grid-app-game-streaming

link for GaaS server setup
    https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/build-3d-streaming-applications-with-ec2s-new-g2-instance-type/

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Windows Azure Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow Single-Line Nested Elements when Reformatting XAML

When Visual Studio 2015 reformats my XAML (which I do not want to have happen without my permission), the part that bothers me the most is when nested elements are split into multiple lines. For example, I may have something like:
    <element1><element2><element3><element4/></element3></element2></element1>
    and it gets reformatted to:
    <element1>
    <element2>
    <element3>
    <element4/>
    </element3>
    </element2>
    </element1>
    This changes this section of my code from 1 line to 7 lines. Even things as small as nesting just 1 level can significantly lengthen your code, not to mention make it much uglier. I would like reformatting to have the option of preserving single-line nesting…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. no universal app template

I just installed Visual Studio 2015 in my Windows 8.1 environment. There is no Windows Universal App template installed and I could not find the template online.

I understand we were to be able to create Windows Universal Apps in Windows 8.1 with limited development capabilities.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Could you please let me know what you selected in the installation settings? You need to make sure you select the Windows Development Tools.

When you install, if you select “Custom” and then choose the “Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.0/8.1 Tools” checkbox, you should see the Windows 8.1 Universal templates.

Daniel Jacobson
    Program Manager, Visual Studio XAML Experiences Team

8. Don't show specific updates if they are included in a package update.

The notification's tab tends to show all available updates, even if one of them is, say Visual Studio 2013 update 4, including SQL updates that were also in the notifications tab.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Feedback and Knowledge Base