Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Remove Strong Naming from the Visual Studio Extensibility templates

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351462/remove-strong-naming-from-the-visual-studio-extens.html
    Strong naming is a barrier to entry for many new authors of Visual Extensions and provides very marginal value. It requires all the referenced DLLs to be strongly named and the last thing a new extension author wants to be doing is messing around with ildasm.exe.

Developing Visual Studio extensions is hard and the more you can remove these "I have no idea what I'm doing" moments, the better. Signing is an option that (unfortunately) needs to exist but the vast majority of…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Please make ISO files for Visual Studio 2017

Creating our own offline layout installer by downloading multiple files instead of a single ISO is messy, and is a step backwards from Visual Studio 2015. The installer too, is really slow. Please provide ISO files for VS 2017 for convenient installation on multiple computers that have slow or no internet connection. Thank you.

2,176 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        171 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the many comments on this topic. We are listening…

On behalf of the Visual Studio team, I wanted to share a few responses to some of the questions and concerns raised, in the spirit of sharing with transparency the reasons that led us to the current installer options.

Visual Studio 2017 is a huge product, because we support so many types of development: from Android to UWP to C++ to Unity to Linux. If we were to still offer a ‘full’ install, it would come in at over 50GB. That’s one huge ISO image!

We surveyed hundreds of people during the previews and RCs, and people told us that they had historically used an ISO for two reasons: (i) because they wanted to download once and create a network install for enterprise deployment; (ii) because they had a shaky internet connection and wanted to be sure they’d downloaded…

• Allow re-open closed issues or mark solutions as "unacceptable"

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
        https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351461/allow-re-open-closed-issues-or-mark-solutions-as-u.html
        My issue was incorrectly closed as duplicate. Ok, mistakes happen, how can i re-open it?

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Developer Community  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • 239 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            under review  ·  17 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Support .NET Core in Visual Studio 2017 without being necessary to install the whole web development package.

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351457/support-net-core-in-visual-studio-2017-without-bei.html
            In Visual Studio 2015, tooling for .NET Core was available as a package, installed separately from the whole IDE.

However, Visual Studio 2017 RC has the option of installing the ".NET Core and Docker" workload. For developers that do not work with ASP.NET Core, this workload adds extra space to disk. So, I propose making a "Cross-platform development with .NET Core" workload, or something like that, but without web application development stuff.

Thanks.

26 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              4 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is really good feedback. We’ve been reviewing what we do here. Right now, our plan is to merge the .NET Core features into the .NET desktop and .NET web workloads when the .NET Core tooling is no longer “preview-quality”. We would prefer not to silo it into a separate workload if possible, because we want it to be available to developers using the existing workloads. Interested to know what kinds of development you’re doing with .NET Core – are you running from the console?

At the same time, we also recognize that we need to keep trimming the size of the web tooling – that remains a work in progress.

One option for you is to install the .NET Core component specifically as an “individual component”, rather than as part of a workload. There’s a separate tab during installation to pick and choose…

• Ability to create custom workloads for VS15 installer

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351456/ability-to-create-custom-workloads-for-vs15-instal.html
              It would be nice if a user could create a custom workload that they can load into the VS15 installer. This would allow users to help others install the necessary components for development easily, rather than being told to install X, Y and Z, a user could be given a customised workload that will have X, Y and Z already selected for the user.

I read through some blogs related to workloads and searched uservoice but could not find any mention of custom…

31 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for this – it’s good feedback. We have it on our backlog (for after RTM), but we haven’t heard the request commonly enough from customers yet to know that this is a high-priority item (compared to other items on the backlog). Your UserVoice idea is great, and we’ll keep monitoring this thread to understand the scenario better.

Best wishes, Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

• Include Suggested Extensions as default on Visual Studio

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351455/include-suggested-extensions-as-default-on-visual.html
                Please include the extension "Suggested Extension" as default in the latest version of the Visual Studio.

"Suggested Extensions" extension: https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/3be88243-8bf1-407a-a7ca-a968d0de2d59

6 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Environment Variables -> Path on installation exceeding max length

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351454/environment-variables-path-on-installation-exceedi.html
                  Visual Studio adds folders to the Environment Variables -> Path without regard to the max size for the Path. The reason I highlight this here is with Visual Studio and SQL Server, it is common for developers to have multiple versions and hence much greater exposure to Path corruption due to it being too long.

Some programs are known to clear the Path on install when it is too long - not something you want to find out the hard way!

It would…

2 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Respect privacy and business secrets

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351453/respect-privacy-and-business-secrets.html
                    Suggestion: Add respect for privacy to the maxims of VS product development.

More and more I fear that Microsoft tries everything to fetch all my business critical code into its cloud, disrespecting any last particle of privacy and business secrecy, pushing developer experience heavily downwards. Regarding Visual Studio this comes up in some places:

The new "report a problem" or "make a suggestion" feature is a big improvement to archaic MS Connect forms. However: If I am not careful, I send you screenshots…

9 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi James,

I want to address your concern about Team Services. As a convenience for VSTS users, we try to automatically populate connections associated with the active account. Unfortunately, for non-VSTS users, we have an error leaking that shouldn’t be. Rest assured, it is not an attempt to force anything to the cloud. You do not need to install Power Tools, though it appears that it may be a way to suppress the connection attempt.

Thanks,
                      Kayla Ngan
                      Program Manager

• 'Restart Now' button should distinguish between OS restart and VS restart

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351451/restart-now-button-should-distinguish-between-os-r.html
                      When installing or updating a VSIX, the user is often prompted to "Restart Now" which is a terrifying proposition because there's really no way of knowing what Visual Studio means.

Does it mean restart Visual Studio? If so that's annoying but not a big deal.
                      Does it mean restart the Vsix? If so, that's so trivial why bother asking.
                      Does it mean restart Windows? If so, then no: my OS is busy doing things I need it to do.

Not knowing is a…

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Seriously, reconsider torrents.

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351450/seriously-reconsider-torrents.html
                        The ISO is 7.1GB. Running the /layout command will download.. well, who knows how many GB (I'm up to 9.86GB after THREE DAYS of downloading via Microsoft's servers, and it's still not complete). I've been downloading the ISO for the last 30 minutes and the speeds have not gone over 120KB/sec - it stays around 30-45KB/sec the majority of the time. No, it's not my end. I can download a slackware torrent right this very minute and reach speeds nearing 3MB/sec - I…

31 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          3 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Pre-select installation options based on previous VS installations

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351449/pre-select-installation-options-based-on-previous.html
                          In the new "Willow" installer, I find that the default selection is only the VS core editor. Being a longtime Visual Studio users, I'm usually installing a new major version on a machine that still has one or more previous versions, so it would be great if the installer of the latest version offered to give me parity with my existing installation (in terms of packages/options/tools) so I don't have to remember what I selected the last time and have to re-launch the…

7 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            1 comment  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is good feedback. We have a couple of ideas under review for solving this. One challenge is that every VS2015 installation includes C# and VB for desktop and web development, but we can’t presume that every user needs all those capabilities. But roaming your configuration across machines is a desirable goal and once we’re able to implement sign-in into the installer, we’ll be able to persist your choices to the cloud as a good starting point.

Thanks for sharing – and looking forward to seeing feedback from others too in this area.

Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

• visual studio needs to allow people to change the install path

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351448/visual-studio-needs-to-allow-people-to-change-the.html
                            i have 2 hard drives so i should be allowed to choose where it installs this should be a feature that people should not have to complain about. i am disappointed with Microsoft.

6 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Two node.exe found after installing VS "15" Preview 2

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351447/two-nodeexe-found-after-installing-vs-15-preview-2.html
                              On a new Windows 10 machine, I installed VS "15" Preview 2 and searched system drive for node.exe. Here is what I found:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 15.0\Common7\DevHub\Hosts\nodejs\node.exe
                              (v0.10.31)

and

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 15.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\Web Tools\External\node\node.exe
                              (v4.2.4)

Please unify these tools and keep one copy of the latest LTS edition of node.exe: 4.4.5 LTS (https://nodejs.org/en/)

FWIW, all major packages work with LTS version, including those with C++ modules.

Thanks in anticipation! :)

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • create an offline install package for Visual Studio tools for Apache Cordova

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351446/create-an-offline-install-package-for-visual-studi.html
                                I have had the devils own job installing the prerequisites for Visual Studio tools for Apache Cordova - Gradle,NPM,Android etc from behind my company firewall. In the end I had to take my computer home to set it up. Can they not be packaged up to make an offline installation ?

6 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Selectable Install directories

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351445/selectable-install-directories.html
                                  Well this has been posted before but closed, I am posting it again. VS is increasing in size like crazy, its more important than ever before to bring back the option to install visual studio in a directory of our choosing. Also, get rid of the message "requires N GB of disk space in ALL drives". This message is vague. Just let us select a directory to install and install everything there, dont install everything to the hard coded system directories/partition. That would…

21 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Updater

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351444/updater.html
                                    the installer/updater should determine whether VMware is installled and then skip the installation of HyperV, simply because they cannot coexist. it just keeps installing it, while I'm forced to keep uninstalling it - in order to keep the system operational. picking up ANDROID_HOME might also be useful - I mean, reporting SDK/NDK was found and skipping that install.

4 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Change order of external tools location

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351443/change-order-of-external-tools-location.html
                                      Now VS2015 installation includes old version of node.js and npm. Also devs have newer version installed globally on their machines.
                                      So it would be awesome to have node and npm, which are shipped with VS2015 as fallback and set higher priority for already installed external web tools.
                                      I propose to have following order:
                                      1. .\node_modules\.bin
                                      2. $(PATH)
                                      3. $(DevEnvDir)\EXTENSIONS\MICROSOFT\WEB TOOLS\External
                                      $(DevEnvDir)\EXTENSIONS\MICROSOFT\WEB TOOLS\External\git

31 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Languages - Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Ask to configure projects for typescript.

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351441/ask-to-configure-projects-for-typescript.html
                                        "Your project has been configured to support TypeScript"

Please stop.

Asking to configure is perfectly fine, but just doing it without asking is incredibly disruptive. I have an alternate setup for building/deploying scripts that I need to adhere to and automatically configuring the project like this only gets in the way.

26 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          4 comments  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Allow the package cache to be moved to shared location with team members

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351440/allow-the-package-cache-to-be-moved-to-shared-loca.html
                                          VS Setup has very heavy footprint on the hard drive. Especially because of the package cache that keep setup locally.

In virtualized environment, when several developers are using several VM with dev tools, this leads to a huge amount of disk space waste.

It would be nice in the cache location could be selected, and put on a network share, reachable by all team members.

12 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback: we agree that this is an opportunity to reduce the installation footprint for VS. We are considering some options here, including turning the package cache off by default in the next release of Visual Studio and/or allowing you to set the install location.

Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base