Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. macro recording for search and replace

Having to convert my projects from MSVC2005 to 2017 is a chore with search and replace. Please put in a macro recording system that records your keystrokes and then replays them every time a search is matched.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello and thank you for the suggestion. We made the decision several years ago that we will not invest in a macro recording feature for Visual Studio as part of a default, in-box experience. There is however an extension that provides this functionality: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=VisualStudioPlatformTeam.MacrosforVisualStudio. You can try this out for yourself if you require this feature. Thank you for helping us build a better Visual Studio!

2. Having Windows 10 SDK For Windows Insiders in VS 2017 Preview a option

When you have Visual Studio 2017 Preview so you can get updated SDK if you are Windows Insider automatically could help and can get preview SDK faster to Windows Insider developers

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback!

With Visual Studio Preview builds (https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/preview/), we do include certain specific versions of the Windows 10 SDK preview builds, but those are not included by default as we want users to be very conscious of the choice they make when they acquire preview releases. We will also not be including every single Preview SDK in the installation experience, and instead encourage users to choose the SDK and Windows 10 flights that they prefer explicitly.

Thanks,
    Unni
    Program Manager, Visual Studio Team

3. Update Team Foundation Server MSSCCI to use VS2017 instead of VS2013

In our job we still develop using Visual Studio 2008. As we plan to upgrade our TFS server from 2012 to 2017, we need to change the SourceCode plugin to MSSCCI. Installing it requires to install also Team Explorer 2013 (and VS2013 update 5) as prerequisites. We should be able to bypass this requirements as we have VS2017 installed.

Please take a couple of days to update this component.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback on this idea. Unfortunately, we do not plan to update the MSSCCI provider to support VS 2017 without having Team Explorer 2013 installed. VS vNext is the next version for which we will evaluate MSSCCI support.

Kayla Ngan
    Program Manager

4. Stop building UWP

I suggest you STOP BUILDING UWP apps. They are completely useless!

e.g. Remote Desktop App in Windows 10. It doesn't allow copy/paste of files so it is completely USELESS!

Skype preview app, complete useless.

I hate how the UWP apps constantly jump around when the mouse moves, extremely ANNOYING.

They provide the WORST customer experience and for developers they are just garbage.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Tell the user what Blend actually does, since the name means absolutely nothing.

Tell the user what Blend is, since the name means absolutely nothing.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback.

Blend is a tool focused as UI Developers and Designers to allow them to easily create user interfaces for XAML based applications for either the Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF/.NET Desktop) or Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps.

To learn a bit more about Blend, I would recommend this video:
    https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Visual-Studio/Connect-event-2014/514

Thanks,
    Unni
    Program Manager, Visual Studio

6. UWP C++ only Workload in Visual Studio Installer

With the advent of C++/WinRT we could have a customizable C++ only workload without installing VB.NET, C#, etc.

Blend should also not be installed by default.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback!

Unfortunately, we will not be able to address this feedback. In Visual Studio 2017, we have done a lot of work to improve the overall acquisition experience and making sure that you only get the tools that you want. At the same time, we also want to make it really easy for users to get started with the product, and we do need to be mindful of making sure that we default to the tools that benefit the vast majority of our developers. This is the primary reason why .NET and Blend are not separate components in the installation experience.

Thanks!
    Unni
    Program Manager, Visual Studio Tools

7. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  NuGet Package Manager  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Visual studio 2017: Add support for Windows store 8.1 projects (Phone & Desktop).

Visual studio 2017: Add support for Windows store 8.1 projects (Phone & Desktop).

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. Visual Studio 2015 continues to be a productive developer environment for maintaining Windows 8.1 Store apps. Visual Studio 2017 installs cleanly side by side with Visual Studio 2015, allowing you to maintain your existing Windows 8.1 Store apps in Visual Studio 2015, and to use the latest tools when it comes time to migrate your apps forward to Windows 10.

-Paul Chapman
    Visual Studio Program Manager

9. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow importing existing project's directory tree to Visual Studio

There's currently no easy way to add an existing, non-VS project with its directory structure to a VS solution. I often use Visual Studio for the IntelliSense suggestions and easier navigation through projects, which I'm building outside of VS. Unfortunately adding these projects with the correct directory structure and include directories setup (so that VS can recognize the function names correctly) is a time-consuming, manual process right now.

The only solution I've found so far is http://stackoverflow.com/questions/392473/how-do-i-add-an-existing-directory-tree-to-a-project-in-visual-studio, but this tends to freeze VS for larger projects.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio IDE team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Will Buik
    Program Manager, Visual Studio IDE Team

11. Allow during compiling CPU usage and Cuda/GPU acceleration to be limited in VS settings

here is how to switch GPU acceleration off:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2894215
    That is ok to reduce GPU heat.

but often still CPU usage is very high during comiling (even on a Quad-Core). It would be great to have a limiter, so that CPU usage during compiling is not exceeding high CPU temperatures, to avoid increasing fan speeds. Also the entire system response can be down, which is bad. Compiling time may increase, but that is no real Problem. For me it is more worse, that the system heats up and is not responsive. So a temperature-based CPU/GPU limiter would be great.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio IDE team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Will Buik

12. Show possible #define constants when we give their values in Navigate To (or GoTo)

For example, consider the below code:
    #define TESTCONST 34

Now, in Visual Studio, if I enter "TESTCONST" in Navigate To (or GoTo) today, it identifies and takes me to the above definition. Similarly, it would be very helpful if Navigate To takes me to possible definitions even when I enter its value 34.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Support Solution templates that specify existing projects

Solution Templates currently allow for specifying Project Templates, and Projects as part of the Project Collection. Unfortunately this requires that:

1. The author add every individual file specification to the Project tag in the Solution Template.
    2. The resultant solution creates copies of the added existing solution. This is particularly unsatisfactory.

The ability to automate the inclusion of multiple standard common existing projects will further enhance the functionality for developers in office scenarios where libraries have been written for standardizing certain functions for every project written.

The end state should be that with a solution template, I can spawn a…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Will Buik

14. create screen (form) maps and markup documentation

Screen maps and English Description of Subs/Functions/Classes documentation can be used to provide requirements, training, process workflow, or other documentation. The process workflow(s) and documentation should also be able to be linked to all other process workflow(s) and documentation within the solution.

It would be even better if this could be somewhat automated by scanning the code (IE when Form1 Button1 is clicked, a new instance of Form2 is created and Class Form2 sub New is executed. In sub New Function XYZ is called to populate ComboBox1)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Will Buik

15. pls develop uwp professional browser similar IE

pls develop uwp professional browser similar IE

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Looking for an qbrupt and clear explanation

I have produced my first computer game but I am afraid reward Resources: each resource is marked by the string presenting the localization path of the resource. I get an impression that suchmarked resource can have functionality only on my concrete Computer where I did the game. How can I publish my game avoiding the danger of the impossible functionality anywhere outdoors my Computer? I remark I unsuccesfully tried to find it in my visual studio help viewer. Can you tell me abruptly and clearly something about it, as also about it, how can I open and save the current…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Will Buik

17. The next generation of IDE

我想谈论的是一个概念性的vs。现有的vs是文件方式管理的,所有的内容都归结为文件。但是我创意的概念是不关心文件,文件由系统控制,而ide关心的是结构。一个3D的项目树关系结构浏览模型,通过这个3D项目树模型来管理整个项目的类接口成员,也许具体代码需要文字编辑器,但是我们不再关心文件。一切都从结构出发。

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Will Buik

18. 51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately the work to bring this back as an extension or an open source project would be prohibitive. As we’re not investing more deeply in this space at this time, we’re declining this suggestion for now. Sorry - and thanks for the feature suggestion.

19. "Always Start When Debugging" stop both processes when debugging ends

I have two projects that I usually start when debugging issues. I would usually enable "Always Start When Debugging" in the properties pane to start both project processes when debugging is started.

It would be really cool if both process could be stopped when debugging ends as well. Right now, I would have to go to the system tray to stop either my WCF service or my ASP.NET application manually since both don't stop when debugging ends.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Will Buik

20. Always Start When Debugging

I have two projects that I usually start when debugging issues. I would usually enable "Always Start When Debugging" in the properties pane to start both project processes when debugging is started.

It would be really cool if both process could be stopped when debugging ends as well. Right now, I would have to go to the system tray to stop either my WCF service or my ASP.NET application manually since both don't stop when debugging ends.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Will Buik

← Previous 1 3 4 5 30 31

Feedback and Knowledge Base