Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Create a UTF8 C-runtime

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351432/create-a-utf8-c-runtime.html
    In the past few years I've worked on cross platform apps, mostly between Windows and linux. The biggest stumbling block are path and file names. In our latest project, it got so clunky, that we decided to drop all the UNICODE code compile the Windows side in MBCS. One thing that would help would be to have a C-runtime which works with UTF8 (also having one that drops the underscores would be another huge help.)

1,211 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    22 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your votes so far on this suggestion. We are currently reviewing this request. As we have more information, we will share it with you here. In the meantime, please make sure you comment here to capture the requirements you have for a UTF-8 capable CRT.

— Visual C++ Team

2. make header include refactoring possible

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351244/make-header-include-refactoring-possible.html
    Would be great to have a tool which will automatically remove unused headers. I a big projects (more than 1^6 LOC ) this becomes really both code and compile-time issue over the time.

Another idea is to move from precompiled header those header files which are used only once and move those used more than once into precompiled header. Ideally those thresholds are configurable.

914 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Microsoft should make MFC open source

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351420/microsoft-should-make-mfc-open-source.html
    MFC is still used in several C++ legacy projects (including very large enterprise applications) still active in maintenance mode.

With MFC open source, the community and Microsoft could submit new code and patches while Microsoft could monitor the quality of the submitted code and support an official branch.

Would something similar to open-sourcing ASP.NET work fine for MFC?

Scott Guthrie sums up an interesting approach when he announced the open-sourcing of ASP.NET MVC, Web API and Razor:

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/asp-net-mvc-web-api-razor-and-open-source

“[…] Doing so will enable…

193 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  13 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. C++ code map

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351272/c-code-map.html
    Add support for C++ code maps!

160 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 82 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Consider changing the behavior of the "create definition/declaration" menu option.

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351424/consider-changing-the-behavior-of-the-create-defin.html
    In Visual Studio 2015, Microsoft added the not so little light bulb that comes up every once and a while with suggestions. I would you the team to reconsider changing the behavior of the "create definition" so instead of opening this annoying inline editor at the bottom, it takes you directly to the source file. All the c++ productivity tools override this native behavior because it is so terrible and annoying.

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Improve IntelliSense/Refactoring for C++

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351429/improve-intellisenserefactoring-for-c.html
    Visual Studio is still missing a lot of features for C++. This requires a lot of developers and companies to depend on external tools like ReSharper or Visual Assist.

Things that should be improved include:

1. Refactoring tools: Visual Studio in my opinion does not offer a lot of useful refactoring tools for C++. ReSharper did this right.

2. IntelliSense speed: In large projects, IntelliSense is not a big help at all. Having to wait several seconds till a file gets analysed or…

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Start thinking about C++17 Concepts support of vc compiler

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351422/start-thinking-about-c17-concepts-support-of-vc-co.html
    Although the c++17 is still on its out-coming way, I'm wondering if the compiler team may consider it now and seriously? because it could be another long('very' like) time to wait it to be implemented into the compiler if the dev. team decided to start relevant works after C++17's out. The soon the work started the ampler time to completion the feature support.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Support automatically formatted comments in Visual Studio 2015

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351400/support-automatically-formatted-comments-in-visual.html
    Support automatically formatted comments in the form:

/**
    * Documentation goes here
    */

When I type `/**` and then press enter, that format should immediately appear.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Full feature C++ Code Maps.

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351282/full-feature-c-code-maps.html
    What we get is showed in the first picture,what we want is shown in the second.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Improve code snippets creation

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351360/improve-code-snippets-creation.html
    // Example
    std::vector<bool> v;

// v.for would generate:
    for (unsigned int i = 0; i < v.size(); i++)
    {
    }

// v.foreach would generate:
    for (bool element : v)
    {
    }

// v.fori would generate:
    for (auto iterator = v.begin(); iterator != v.end(); iterator++)
    {
    }

std::list<bool> l;
    // l.fori would generate:
    for(auto iterator = l.begin(); iterator != l.end(); iterator++)
    {
    }

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We will definitely consider an easier way to enable users to define their own snippets.

In the meantime, you can create your own custom snippets based on the XML format of the current snippets under C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\Snippets\1033\Visual C++. We recommend putting your custom snippets under a separate folder for organizational purposes (see Tools → Code Snippets Manager → Visual C++ → Add…), but VS should automatically pick up any snippets you create in those locations.

(Note that the Snippets Manager recommends putting your own snippets under C:\Users\<Your_Username>\Documents\Visual Studio 14\Code Snippets\Visual C++\My Code Snippets.)

12. Refactoring : Place a set of variables into a new sub struct/class/namespace

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351387/refactoring-place-a-set-of-variables-into-a-new-su.html
    During design I often endup with having to group variable into logical concept at a later stage and this can be time consuming, so an automatic refactoring option would be usefull.

The feature would allow the selection of a block of variable and wraping them into a struct{}name; or class{}name; using a refactoring option.

example:

class A {
    int x;
    int y;
    int age;
    int height;
    int weight;
    };

refactored to:

class A {
    struct {
    int x;
    int y;
    } position;

struct…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Synthax highlighting for files

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351425/synthax-highlighting-for-files.html
    I am able to set the type of a file in Visual C++ via the property pages (in my case C++ header) but it doesn't get a proper syntax highlighting.
    There is another option that can do that but I think if the type of the file is set via the property pages VS should recognize that and automatically apply the proper syntax highlighting and other code editor features.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Feedback and Knowledge Base