Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Include SQL BI tools in the latest VS version

SQL Server 2012 has followed its predecessors as the BI Tools released again with the previous version of VS instead of the latest one.

Please, release the BI tools with the latest VS version and include it in SQL Server. Be the IDE really integrated again (or finally)!

794 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    14 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Closing this item. SQL BI tools are shipping in the latest VS versions, incl. VS 2017. Some project types ship sooner than others (for example, AS and RS project types are already available as individual VSIX files for VS 2017), but as a whole the goal is to support the latest versions of VS as soon as possible.

2. Ensure that you do not release a future version of Visual Studio without BIDS (SSRS, SSIS) support.

Please ensure that you do not release any future versions of Visul Studio that do not have full support for (BIDS) SSRS, SSIS. This has resulted in a significant delay in rolling out VS2010 here, and in fact now that I heard BIDS will not be supported in Windows XP, we may skip VS2010, so now our team is missing out on so many great features.

260 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Yes, the ideal is to be ready with the BI project types by the time a new VS version ships. In the VS 2017 release, we managed to do this for SSAS and SSRS project types (the VSIXes are available in the Gallery), while SSIS is still a work in progress, but in general, the goal is to be ready as soon as possible with every new VS release.

3. Add "Ignore users" option when publishing SSDT project

You need to add an "Ignore users" option when publishing Sql Server Data Tools projects. You have this option on import. The ideal solution would be to reuse the same include/exclude objects dialog from import.

This is a major problem for us, and obviously for more than us: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/aa87ac52-d7b1-40e3-b6d0-063472b127df/how-to-ignore-users-in-vs-11-sql-server-database-project-publish?forum=vstsdb

Regards,

Morten

87 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we havenÕt acted on it. Looking at the VS Ò15Ó plans, weÕre not going to take action on this item, so weÕre going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if thereÕs another suggestion thatÕs similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

4. Integrate Reporting Services Projects into Visual Studio 2010

Currently you have to open Reporting Services Projects in VS 2008 or Business Intelligence Developer Studio (BIDS). So you have to use both VS 2010 and VS 2008 with TFS.

86 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

5. Print a Report of Database Schema Differences from Schema Compare

Currently when you run a Schema Compare through the Database Tools in Visual Studio 2012 you have the option to Generate a SQL Script or Run the Updates against the Target Database Directly.

I propose an additional option, a Printable "Report View" that shows all the objects and the differences. This could be as simple as being able to print the grid (expanded) that is generated from within Visual Studio along with some basic statistics such as:
    1) The number of Total Objects Compared
    2) Number of Objects in Source that are not in Target
    3) Number of Objects in…

79 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.
    - The Visual Studio Team

6. In database Project Not able to resolve Circular References

In Database Project Not able to resolve circular reference. Still it is issue in VS. Also if we add more than 10 Project in a single database Solution then its goes as killing slow.

79 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

7. Database Projects

When opening a database project the initial processing of the project is very slow, improvements were made from 2008 to 2010, but I think with the use of multicore machine it should be faster.

74 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

8. Add F# Scripting to SSIS

SSIS currently has VB and C# languages for writing script components. I think it would be really nice to add F# support too especially with it being a very declarative expression based language good at manipulating data.

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we havenÕt acted on it. Looking at the VS Ò15Ó plans, weÕre not going to take action on this item, so weÕre going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if thereÕs another suggestion thatÕs similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

9. Local Database Cache project item was removed in VS2012

I use the sync framework and the local database cache in my VS2010 projects, this has been removed in VS2012 and breaks my upgrade path. Please add support for this in VS2012.

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    closed  ·  6 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. VSDBCMD support for SQL2012

The VSDBCMD tool is the most underrated and under-documented one available for database developers. I have a number of applications that are deployed with this tool, where VSDBCMD is bundled with my custom deployment utility. VSDBCMD is supported on XP through Windows 7, and supports SQL 2005 through SQL 2008 R2.

With the release of SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT), it seems that Microsoft is deprecating support for VSDBCMD.

I implore you to at the very least provide developers with an updated build of VSDBCMD so that it will support deployment to SQL2012 database servers. This will give developers enough…

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

11. Data Compare automation table list

It would be nice to save data comparisons (in a definition file, etc) or pass in which tables to compare via command line / command utility. When comparing data in larger databases (say, 500+ tables) and I want to compare only a subset of tables (say, 50-100) the interface requires manually selecting only the desired tables. It would be nice to automate this task.

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

12. SSDT-BI for VS 2015

When is SSDT-BI for Visual Studio 2015 coming out?

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    closed  ·  8 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Ability to delay verification of synchronization between model and source files.

Hi,
    Each time I open my database project, Visual studio runs a heavy process of verification of synchronization between model and source files.

Message in status bar says "Verifying your model is synchronized with your source files. Your database projects will be ready after XXXX operations are competed"

If we can have an option to delay this at build time, this can improve resource utilization on developer machine.

As, I have around 15k files in DB project this process takes a long time.

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

14. Create a WPF ReportViewer Control

Provide a WPF SSRS Report Viewer Control.

Not required but a great addition would be to have the option to display multiple reports with drag and drop and resize functionality effectively making it an end user dashboard designer, allow displaying excel sheets and powerpivots as well and it becomes a powerful tool.

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

15. Add MVC Razor view support for ssrs report viewer

Add MVC Razor support to the Report View package

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

16. SqlServer Compact Integrated With SSDT

Please integrated sql server compact in visual studio 2013 with sql server data tools(ssdt) to modify sql server compact, with one tools manipulate all sql server and sql server compact databases.

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

17. CRYSTAL REPORTS FOR VS 2012 IS A MUST!!!! WE NEED IT!!!!

How we are supposed to migrate to Vs 2012 our apps built in vs2008 without reporting features?

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

18. Dataset Designer Automatic Layout

The Dataset Designer becomes a headache when you have dozens, if not more, tables. It is difficult to find the TableAdapter you are looking for unless you already know exactly where it is. Additionally, the Data Source Wizard likes to blow away your current layout and replace it with it's own. The designer needs a better way to organize the tableadapters. Something similar is available in MS ACCESS.

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

19. Allow auto-layout in ADO.Net Entity Model Designer to be disabled

Much as I love ADO.Net Entity Data Model Designer (VS2010), one feature is making me INSANE.

When initially putting together a complex data model, it's perfectly fine (and desirable) that Designer figures out on its own where the lines delineating associations are placed. However, eventually, I wind up meticulously placing those lines myself for the sake of readability.

But if I finish my painstaking layout, and then decide to, say, add a property to an existing entity, Designer redoes my entire layout, or at least every association line that leads to or from that entity.

It's the definition of frustrating.…

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

20. Add object name filtering to Schema Compare

When trying to compare specific objects in databases with large numbers of objects, it can be cumbersome to scroll through a large number of differences.

It would be great to be able to apply one or more object name filters to the results. It would also be nice if I could specify the filter ahead of time and only compare objects that meet the criteria.

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base