Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Skip version 15.0 for vNext to avoid confusion with Visual Studio 2015 (version 14.0)

This is not unprecedented as you skipped version 13.0.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow VS Unit Test Generator to configure where to pull references from

Rather than adding references to packages directory, allow it to be configurable.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Technical support for Visual Studio C++ debug

I am using Visual Studio C++ to program, and felt the debugging is really difficult. For example, to check the values in a large 3D matrix, it takes me long time to unfold rows or columns one by one…
    Is there any methods or assisting tools can help us make the VC++ debug very easy, very beautiful, like using Matlab. That really can make life happier.

Some friend said .Net can help, but didn't tell me how;
    Some said Matlab has the capability of supporting, also did not tell me how;
    Some said other visual tools like array visualizer extension,…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. "Always Start When Debugging" stop both processes when debugging ends

I have two projects that I usually start when debugging issues. I would usually enable "Always Start When Debugging" in the properties pane to start both project processes when debugging is started.

It would be really cool if both process could be stopped when debugging ends as well. Right now, I would have to go to the system tray to stop either my WCF service or my ASP.NET application manually since both don't stop when debugging ends.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio IDE team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Will Buik
    Program Manager, Visual Studio IDE Team

5. Visual Studio hangs when open a website via ftp and replace a item per copy paste from file explorer

Visual Studio hangs when open a website via ftp and replace a item in project sturcutre per copy paste from file explorer

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio IDE team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Will Buik

6. multiple links to one file and custom names

Allow multiple links to one file in a project.
    And let give a custom name to each link.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Will Buik

7. Allow NuGet Packages on Temporary Projects

Some project types are created in the user's temp folder -- examples include Console Applications, unit test projects, class libraries, and other; however, I cannot add NuGet packages to solutions/projects that "haven't been saved". This is lame. Many times, I want to prototype something, experiment, etc. but I don't want to commit to keeping the code/project/sln around if it doesn't work out -- but I need Nuget packages because, well everything is a NUPKG these days. Just now, I needed to prototype some JSON parsing -- so I created a unit test project and then I needed to go get…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Will Buik

8. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Tell the user what Blend actually does, since the name means absolutely nothing.

Tell the user what Blend is, since the name means absolutely nothing.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback.

Blend is a tool focused as UI Developers and Designers to allow them to easily create user interfaces for XAML based applications for either the Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF/.NET Desktop) or Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps.

To learn a bit more about Blend, I would recommend this video:
    https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Visual-Studio/Connect-event-2014/514

Thanks,
    Unni
    Program Manager, Visual Studio

10. Add support for BlackBerry10 to Multi-Device Hybrid Apps

BlackBerry10 WebWorks SDK is built on Cordova. It is relatively trivial to get the existing hybrid app framework to support BlackBerry10 as a target platform (my project builds) but additional integration for launching apps on the device and linking up with the web-inspector would be nice!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

For the time being, we’re decline this feature request due to lack of demand. However, it’s important to note that developers can still deploy to Blackberry using the Cordova command line tools. We’ve done a lot of work in the last six months to ensure inter-operability with the Cordova CLI and recently released the TACO CLI at http://taco.tools. You may use either of these command line tools to build and deploy to Blackberry devices.

11. Option to set namepace when creating a project

As a developer I sometimes want to set a namespace different from the project name, like when the project's name ends with a platform postfix like ".UWP", ".iOS" or ".Android".

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Will Buik

12. VS restart should preserve environment variables

Our visual studio solution and project files make use of environment variables to provide the paths to other vcxproj files and sources, since each user's enlistment can be on different hard drives as well as varying folder structures.

These environment variables are configured in our enlistment-specific command prompts and visual studio must be launched from one of these command prompts in order for the environment variables to be set and respected by VS.

It'd be nice if the environment were saved on open, such that if VS needs to restart (because I've installed an addon, because I've changed a setting…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Will Buik

13. BLEND and Animations available to Visual Studio 2013 Express for Silverlight 5 Web app

I develop a Silverlight Web application using Visual Studio 2013 Express however there's no way I can do animations with Blend as it is not supported. We would like Visual Studio 2013 Express with Blend support for a dying technology it would be good to give us that chance.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. create C++ projects completely "empty" of settings.

100% of the time, I open my vcxproj files in notepad and clear them of all settings, then copy in several lines of:

<ImportGroup Label="PropertySheets" Condition="'$(Configuration)'=='Debug'">
    <Import Project="$(SolutionDir).build/output.props" />
    ... etc ...

It would be nice if it started from scratch with no settings applied so I can just start referencing my property sheets immediately.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Get rid of VS 2015

VS 2015 is sO sh*te !!!!
    YOu waste peoples time producing a product which does not work and basically slows people down.
    It is a useless producst and should be removed from the market - as well as ALL other MSoft products!!!!!

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. ASP.NET - Profiling using IIS Express

Currently profiling doesn't work using IIS Express only the Cassini dev server. Would be nice to be able to do everything in IIS Express that you can do with the dev web server.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for all the feedback on this item. Please be advised that we have moved this item to the ASP.NET User Voice site (http://aspnet.uservoice.com) and transferred the associated votes. We are going to close this item out and release your votes back to you so you can apply them elsewhere. Note that the votes will remain with the item on the other site, so the item will not lose any of its current vote count, and you will recoup your votes on this site. To track the status, post comments, or add votes on this item, please go to http://aspnet.uservoice.com/forums/41199-general-asp-net/suggestions/3090815-asp-net-profiling-using-iis-express and sign in using your current user ID and login.

18. PerfTips - Make users more aware that they can get CPU time as well

From customer: Enable both the elapsed and CPU display by default. Currently CPU consumption is not enabled on a clean installation - many people will remain ignorant that you can show it.

Team's reply: I agree that CPU time is an important part of understanding performance but we have to balance that against making the information is easy ingest the first time you see the feature (especially for those who are completely unfamiliar with performance measurements). At the moment we are being conservative and only showing elapsed time, but we may decide to change that later.

Another customer suggestion: Regarding…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. please bring back the psd import option in Blend 2015

we need photoshop and illustrator import in blend
    why did you remove it ????!!!

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Get rid of UserVoice

It doesn't even allow signing in with one's Windows Live ID? Whose bright idea was it to move suggestions out of Microsoft Connect?

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Doug Turnure - msft responded

yes – as you saw per your comment, we’re going to go with UV and Connect for now, as each one is better fitted for its respetive area (bugs and ideas).

Feedback and Knowledge Base