Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. When CTRL+F/H is pressed and cursor is inside selection search on it only

When CTRL+F/H is pressed and cursor is inside selection search on it only, now it doesn't set it to "Selection" automatically

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi @birbilis

Thanks for raising this feedback. We made a deliberate change in the behavior of find/replace in cases where there is no explicit multiline selection, in response to a lot of customer feedback we received, complaining that the auto-changing of search scope in these circumstances was confusing them, and that they’d prefer if we left their scope alone if they set it.

If you have a selection that spans >1 line, and tools-options-environment-find and replace-“Automatically limit search to selection” is checked, then you will still see an automatic change of selection.

At this point we have had few users asking for the old behavior to be returned, so I’m declining this request. If we see more requests or high voted UserVoice items on this topic, we’ll reconsider this decision.

Thanks!

Mark Wilson-Thomas
    Program Manager, Visual Studio Editor Team

2. Extension Description

Please show the full extension description in the details panel.

Like so: http://edge.clients.bmbsqd.net/j/9ye0w.png

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 想要用注释指令来导航

现有的代码导航不喜欢,不能让用户自定义在解决方案中自由的跳转,现在的导航有,基于注释查找的,基于书签的,基于定义或引用查找的

这些根本就不能提高代码的关联理解性 和可读性,我建议参考 uri的做法比如:我在注释中这样写:file:///c:/readme.txt 或 http://msdn.microsoft.com 等等 那么可以从内置浏览器中跳转到目标文件或页面,为什么不能发明一些新的象上面 //http://*** file://***这样的指令呢?以让用户可以 不在内置浏览器中查看,而直接在vs的代码编辑器中来回跳转呢? 比如 从一个正在书写的类之中 通过 比如 //goto://SomeClassName(or NamespaceName or ProjectName)/MethodName(or ProjectName or FieldName or EventName ..

这种功能非常有助于让代码之间产生人为的主动关联,而不是被动的查找关联,比如把相关的单元测试和功能代码跳转关联起来等,这也可以提高团队其它成员互相之间的代码阅读理解。

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Extract to User Control Code Behind

Love the Extract to User Control Option. Is it possible to pull the code behind events with the text into the control. Button clicks, all postback events for example...

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for all the feedback on this item. Please be advised that we have moved this item to http://aspnet.uservoice.com and transferred the associated votes. We are going to close this item out and release your votes back to you so you can apply them elsewhere. Note that the votes will remain with the item on the other site, so the item will not lose any of its current vote count, and you will recoup your votes on this site.  To track the status, post comments, or add votes on this item, please go to http://aspnet.uservoice.com/forums/41202-asp-net-webforms/suggestions/3198861-extract-to-user-control-code-behind and sign in using your current user ID and login.

5. Please include the visual studio sdk into the visual studio installer and build more language for the sdk

My english is not very well.
    As we know, the visual studio has kinds of language versions. But the sdk only has the english version. I hope when we install the visual studio, we can also select to install the sdk which language is the same with the visual studio.
    Best thanks for the visual studio developers, it is a powerful IDE.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. how binding source form Multidimensional array source to silverlight xaml

the source like [,] or [,,]

ListBox? no ,something else

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Rename the .sdf intellisense file

The intellisense database in VS2010 is stored in a MS SQL Compact Edition database with the .sdf extension.
    Most version control systems allow you ignore files that fit a certain pattern (say, *.obj), and as such, it would be nice to be able to specify that "all intellisense files" should be ignored, but because they currently use the same extension as *other* SQL CE databases, that's not possible. Ignoring .sdf files means we may accidentally keep database files that *should* be versioned out of version control. The alternative is to explicitly add an ignore rule for each solution's intellisense database,…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Make Visual Studio UI like Expression Studio

Make Visual Studio UI like Expression Studio

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Play "Eye of the Tiger" song on display of "New Project" dialog

When I go to the "File" menu and select "New Project" Visual Studio should automatically play "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_the_Tiger

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. i agree i found a great easy to use xml based language for small simple apps caledzAPP its got a killer zapp pro ide addon similar to vs6 to

i agree i found a great easy to use xml based language for small simple apps caledzAPP its got a killer zapp pro ide addon similar to vs6 to refine tweak and build executeables calle zapp pro its an easy and affordable the executeables require no runtime and encrypted to protect the devolper link to the product site http://www.zuggsoft.com/
    zugg and his wife chiara provide killer personal 1 on 1 including phone support if needed ive been useing their mud zexplorer zmapper and cmud since 1996 the early days of mmorpgs and the height of muds

Xeveniah Darkwind

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. vide

o

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. arm

Allow MFC Desktop Apps to run on Windows 8 ARM WOA!
    With MFC for ARM (eVC3/4) you already have ported most of the MFC to ARM. If you would complete this porting and allow MFC desktop apps to run on Windows 8 RT (WOA) this would bring a large benefit for ARM Tablets to our business customers and to MFC developers. All porting to ARM was done already by Microsoft in the years 2003/2005 for Smartphone/PocketPC targets!

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. XAML run in web without a plugin

Today XAML can do great designs over asp.
    Make a web base XAML to replace what we have with silver light

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow search with multiple criteria on uservoice.com

When searching for ideas, I can select one of these dropboxes under text "I suggest you ...": Category, Status and My Feedback. I can for example search for closed suggestions or for suggestions with my comments, but not at once. I can't search for closed suggestions with my comments because as soon as I select a value in one dropbox, other dropboxes "forget" their settings. Please make it possible to search with multiple criteria.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Always Start When Debugging

I have two projects that I usually start when debugging issues. I would usually enable "Always Start When Debugging" in the properties pane to start both project processes when debugging is started.

It would be really cool if both process could be stopped when debugging ends as well. Right now, I would have to go to the system tray to stop either my WCF service or my ASP.NET application manually since both don't stop when debugging ends.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio IDE team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Will Buik
    Program Manager, Visual Studio IDE Team

17. Add "Empty Project" option to an MFC project

When creating an MFC Project, the wizard generates various files, depending on the selected settings. Also, it comes with many resources (images, string tables, accelerators, etc.).

Sometimes, however, it is needed to start with a minimal approach, and then build up. And creating a Win32 Project and then enabling MFC won't work, as there are a number of issues to resolve first (such as the auto-generated IDs used in resource.h and the *.rc file).

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 2 27 28 29 31 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base