Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio IDE team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Mark Wilson-Thomas
    Program Manager, Visual Studio IDE Team

2. "Publish Web" dialog should maintain focus when opened with keyboard

In VS11 the "Publish Web" dialog should maintain focus when opened with a hotkey. The dialog loses focus and requires additional steps to publish compared to vs2010.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Bring back the VS2010 style at least as an option

I am a Development Manager with a small but effective team. I feel it is important to say i have worked for various teams and used every version of Visual Studio from version 4 and up.

However this new interface, quite literally, gives me migraines. I've tried the theme editor, but after several attempts of it crashing my install I broke through and found it made no difference as the icons are still confusing and cause me eye strain to the point that I still suffer from Migraines after using the program for more than 10 minutes. I even tried…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. please provide a method: GC.SetGeneration()

we can use GC.GetGeneration() to know the generation of an object, but we can't set it. I think if we can set it, we will have more chance to optimize our program. For example, in many cases, we know an object will never be used, if we can set its generation to be zero, then the object may be collected more quickly. Even if we use it wrongly, it will not cause serious problems.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. sync not work for all settings. only few thing synced.

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/805454/is-this-bug-or-syncing-is-not-applicable-to-all-settings-that-is-avilable-in-vs-express-2013

If I unselected the option for preview every file in solution explorer through > tools > settings then it will not sync.

the problem is next time you still need to do it.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Allow files to be closed from Solution Explorer

The new filter to display only open files in Solution Explorer is very cool.

However, I can't do the thing I am most likely to do at this point - selectively close files.

I would like to see a new item in the right click for items in solution explorer which is "Close". This would be disabled when files were not open.

Closing and reopening files is a poor workflow because it wipes the undo history (and perhaps other things).

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio IDE team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Mark Wilson-Thomas

7. Let QuickInfo show comments too

Let Quick Info show comments attached to a defined symbol

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Graphic operations in .NET framework

Some basic operations on images should be available in .NET framework without using external libraries. Operations such as: resize/scale, cropping, changing colors depth, etc.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. var for function paramaters

C# compiler should allow var as a parameter type for functions. The compiler should allow generic code to be written similar to F# where types of a function are not determined until the call site. In order to have this be a compile time feature only the implied access restriction should be internal or private freeing the compiler to only have to generate code for types know during the compilation of the module that contains the new type of function.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. add comment reflow/wrap around with configurable options

I like to keep the comments in my source neat, so that they are easy to read, and maintain....this can be time consuming to do by hand/eye.

I try to stop them extending too far to the right....by not going past the 80 character position....this helps avoid unnecessary horizontal scrolling in the editor.

To do this, I use the CommentReflower addin, as mentioned here:

http://www.kynosarges.de/CommentReflower.html

Problem is, it's not really maintained, and it would be nice for a "comment maintenance/flowing" feature to be added into the IDE out of the box.

This would help greatly in reducing the time used…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Mark Wilson-Thomas

11. "new Default" while decalre fields

SomeType a = new SomeType(Params....)

when the type name of ‘SomeType' is very long, i want:
    SomeType a = new Default(Params....)

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Bring back the Visual Studio 2010 interface, at least as an option

I am a Development Manager with a small but effective team. I feel it is important to say i have worked for various teams and used every version of Visual Studio from version 4 and up.

However this new interface, quite literally, gives me migraines. I've tried the theme editor, but after several attempts of it crashing my install I broke through and found it made no difference as the icons are still confusing and cause me eye strain to the point that I still suffer from Migraines after using the program for more than 10 minutes. I even tried…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. make visual studio open source

Why don't you make VS open source. This way the bugs you introduce are ACTUALLY FIXED for once. I have yet another case of "stupid developer" on my hands. I have validation errors in EF6 and the message conveniently says "Validation failed for one or more entities. See 'EntityValidationErrors' property for more details."

when I look at the EntityValidationErrors property it says this:
    {System.Data.Entity.Validation.DbEntityValidationResult}

so I hereby ask that you make VS open source so this kind of "bugs" get handled as soon as they're discovered instead of begin written off as "low priority" and get shipped in the "never…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Mark Wilson-Thomas

14. Stop rearranging XAML when using designer

When editing my XAML using the visual designer, it often rearranges my XAML markup by putting tags previously on one line on multiple lines. This can greatly increase the number of lines in code, make the code harder to read, and definitely require more scrolling. I don't care if the designer creates new elements on one or multiple lines, but when it rearranges my entire document, it makes me very hesitant to use it. Please make rearranging of code optional through settings (or stop rearranging it altogether, since VS has the ability to do that manually already).

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    closed  ·  1 comment  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Make specific context menu for WPF projects

When working with a WPF project on any edition VS, the context editor should replace the "Add Form" (from windows forms projects) to a WPF Add Form. Same with user controls.

Also, you should add a "View Markup" when selecting a .xaml file.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Use Live ID for User Voice Authentication

Allow me to use my live Id on User Voice.
    I'm using it for authentication on TFS Online and MSDN

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. [Test]

[Test]

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    closed  ·  0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add syntax highlighting into collapsed code tooltips

It would be nice to have keywords highlighted inside collapsed code tooltips. That would greatly increased readiness of code within them.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

19. Visual Studio File Publish

In earlier version of Visual Studio like 2010 and prior whenever we used to publish the files to the FTP or anywhere, it used to only publish those files which have been changed locally, but after the new releases like 2012 and 2013 it now publishes all the files. This creates lot of headache when the project is too big and uploading all files takes lots of time. There should be an option to control that.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Solution Explorer 'Edit Code' button should be available form project files

Often, it's necessary to open a project file to see or edit the msbuild code directly.

To do this, you currently have to right click, then unload the project, then right click again and choose edit. 4 clicks! The 'Edit Code' button is available on the toolbar of the Solution Explorer for other items, it should apply to projects too. 1 click.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.
    - The Visual Studio Team

Feedback and Knowledge Base