Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Combine the Content and Scripts folders in the web project template

It has always struck me as odd to the point of artificial that the default web project template in Visual Studio has a folder called "Content" and then a second folder called "Scripts".

To any web developer that I know "Scripts" are "Content". They are served up by my web server the same way as .css and .html files.

I understand that they contain a different type of content, but it's still content.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • 0 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we havenÕt acted on it. Looking at the VS Ò15Ó plans, weÕre not going to take action on this item, so weÕre going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if thereÕs another suggestion thatÕs similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

• ASHX files, two improvements

ASP.NET on the VS2013, the compiler has a flaw, when combined into a general handler of IIS, the compiler, not an error, but the lack of # region code folding feature. Want to enhance inspection of *. Ashx file.

0 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Do no add color to Visual Studio 11 Beta

This is not irony or a joke. This is a way to let the people who like the new look to cast their vote.

It would be a shame to go back to 2010 looks just because there was no way to say that the change was good.

I say: keep the 2011 beta looks and see how it turns out after working with it for a year. Then vote again for next version of Visual studio.

Embrace change.

Original suggestion:
          http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/2623017-add-some-color-to-visual-studio-11-beta

0 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            2 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

• Provide easy customization of list columns for External Lists using BCS

When creating External Lists bound to External Content Types, there is no easy way to modify the columns in the External Lists to display columns as choice columns such as a Radio Button list, Drop Down List etc. by converting the columns to a Lookup column. This would reduce development time by not requiring special binding to a BDC model or customizing InfoPath Forms for each External List.

0 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • In Visual Studio 11, merge the 2 contextual menus for Code Analysis suppressions

http://i.imgur.com/2xpb1.png

As you can see on the screenshot, there are 2 menus to suppress messages.

This cool "Actions" link should be replaced with 3 links like "Suppress: [in code] [global file]. [?]" to reduce the time necessary to suppress a warning.

And if there is no space enough for that, then could you just merge the crazy sub-menu in the first menu? Opening a context menu to open another is just dumb.

When you have to go through hundreds of warnings, opening 2 menus for each is a waste of time and focus.

0 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • random access iterator

I want you to introduce a random access iterator. You have to do not copy all the way when searching the regular expression a huge StringBuilder by introducing this and search across the new line will also be possible

0 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • make it easier to load symbols from third party sources like symbolsource.org

On every VS instance I use, I have to manually configure symbolsource.org as symbol server. This would be easier if there was a checkbox "use symbolsource.org symbols", just like there is one for "microsoft symbol servers". If there are other popular public symbol sources (I don't know any), they should be included as option as well.

0 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Edit & Continue: change an existing method's signature

This has been split from http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/4079422

Edit and Continue has always been a staple of Visual Studio development; it's one of the most important features that make it better than other IDEs. In 2002, Visual Studio .Net came out, and didn't have Edit and Continue, which made it very hard to use. In 2003, the new version had Edit and Continue and I was jubilant.

Allow edit and continue to add/remove methods or change their signatures.

(Filed on behalf of "The Configurator": https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/admin/users/14358195-the-configurator)

0 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share and vote on this suggestion. Here on the Visual Studio team we are sorting through all the UserVoice suggestions to figure out what things we are going to work on next. Unfortunately, since this item hasn’t gathered many votes recently, I am going to close it out for now.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion and get other impacted developers to vote for it.

Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Kaycee Anderson
                      @KayceeSue
                      Visual Studio Team

• Popping Values when Copy/Paste Context in debug mode

In the IDE editor when I copy a bunch of sql parameters, var, Objects etc... up to and include maybe a sql command. The text just has a list of parameters and then the call to the sql command. Sure I can look at the locals or create some watches if I want to see the values. But I'd rather everything just POP the values when I copy the text. Maybe hit ctrl shift C or double click the c. Then all the values pop like this: OracleParameter myparam = new OracleParameter("paramName", employeFirstName: "Ronald");

In the original file "Ronald" is…

0 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share and vote on this suggestion. Here on the Visual Studio team we are sorting through all the UserVoice suggestions to figure out what things we are going to work on next. Unfortunately, since this item hasn’t gathered many votes recently, I am going to close it out for now.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion and get other impacted developers to vote for it.

Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Kaycee Anderson
                        @KayceeSue
                        Visual Studio Team

• Enhance web deployment

I had problems deplying an asp.net mvc web application to my webhost and after an all-nigher I finally solved the problem which consisted of several parts.

When you configure for a ftp deployment of a website bring back the option to choose between active and passive connection. When you enter the ftp addres username and password and press the button to test the connection you could do your check to try and determine wether or not passive connection should be used and give me a suggestion on the matter. However I should Always be able to override that suggestion.

I…

0 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • 0 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • to allow you to be able to rename a server

I think you should be able to rename a *.visualstudio.com TFS server.

0 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Allow javascript code outlining when a razor variable is used

Outlining in JavaScript works great, allowing you to collapse functions to reduce space in the editor and focus. However, if a razor variable (e.g. @Model.Foo) is used in a JavaScript function, the outlining is disabled for that method (the collapse buttons disappear). Please could it be changed to allow collapsing in this case

0 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Allow users to sort, classify, and group Screen Members in the left pane of the LightSwitch Screen Designer

When designing a complex screen in LightSwitch, the left pane quickly becomes a jumbled mess as Queries, Objects and Variables are placed in order of their creation while Methods appear alphabetically at the bottom.

While you can drag Screen Members up and down to position them, it takes a long time to move each item and there's still no obvious structure to help you find things.

It would be good if the user could sort this list and possibly create some sort of classification or hierarchy in order to group members together by function - eg all the variables/objects/queries/methods used…

0 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your suggestion on improving LightSwitch. However, Visual Studio 2015 is the last release of Visual Studio that includes the LightSwitch tooling and we recommend users not begin new application development with LightSwitch. That said, we will continue to support users with existing LightSwitch applications, including critical bug fixes and security issues as per the Microsoft Support Lifecycle. Please see the blog post for more information: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/lightswitch/2016/10/14/lightswitch-update/

– The Visual Studio Team

1 2 373 374 375 377 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base