Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Go back to the VS2010 color scheme.

The IE drained of color reminds me of working on the first Mac. You do not want to go there.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. simplify string.format syntax

Instead of string.format("insert {0,10:c} in the string",Arg0)

why not go for the simpler "insert {Arg0,10:c} in the string"

"Today is {Now}" instead of string.format("Today is {0}",now)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

You’ll be happy to learn that we added a much simpler syntax for String.Format-style string composition in Visual Basic 14 (available in Visual Studio 2015). The feature is called String Interpolation. You can now write a string like this: $“Today is {Now}” or $“Insert {Arg0,10:c}” and behind the scenes the compiler will call String.Format just like you’d expect.

You can read about this and other new features in VB14 here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/we86c8x2(v=vs.140).aspx

Regards,

Anthony D. Green, Program Manager, Visual Basic

3. Revolution R Open (RRO) Tools for Visual Studio, a free/OSS plugin that turns Visual Studio into a Revolution R Open (RRO) IDE

Revolution R Open Tools for Visual Studio

A free/OSS plugin that turns Visual Studio into a Revolution R Open (RRO) IDE. which supports the entire RRO community, editing, browsing, Intellisense, mixed RRO/C# debugging, remote linux/MacOS debugging, profiling, multiple REPL’s, and cloud computing with client libraries for Windows, Linux and MacOS.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. "Report a problem" dialog should open links to trending issues

"Report a problem" dialog should open links to trending issues.
    It's nice to have a "Me Too" vote, but seeing the full description right in a web browser gives you more control, like copying text from external URLs.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. C++ examples in VS 2017 documentation, please!

C++ examples in VS 2017 documentation, please!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. FREE Visual Studio Express for older computers with OS prior to Win 10

Please make available FREE the Visual Studio Express for ALL 2010, 2012, 2013. The 2015 Community does not install in older computers with OS prior to Windows 10

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Correct wrong word used in sentence

Change word "along" to "alone" in Branching and Merging Guidance section Scratch or temporary branches.

4. If the work is truly not related to the project and for developer training use Team Foundation Server 2010 “basic edition” to create a stand along Team Foundation Server instance right on the developer desktop. This is completely separate from the production Team Foundation Server that the team may be using. Consider using this for projects the developer would consider “throw away” (i.e. training) code.

ALM Ranger project.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. SalesForce Extension DOES NOT WORK

This SalesForce Extension DOES NOT WORK! I downloaded, installed and restarted and when I right click and select 'Add Connected Services' go the the SF extension it has a DOWNLOAD button next to it and sends me on an infinite loop!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Connected Services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We believe this is the result of a mismatch between pre-release versions of Visual Studio and pre-release versions of the Salesforce Connected Service. If you’re still seeing errors with a clean install of Visual Studio 2015 RC and Salesforce RC, please reactivate.

9. Fix the sorting order when test outcome by duration is viewed in Test Explorer VS2015

Enclosed screenshot shows that the unit tests outcome withing a duration group (slow in my case) is inconsistent. It should be sorting in either descending or ascending order, eg. "slowest/fastest unit test first.

thanks in advance
    Jonas

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Subscription Visual Studio Proffessional

The payment of £1000+ is unfortuantely too much for newbies and the express doesn't allow you to use the huge variety of plugins available.

I could imagine a subscription service like the Office subscription.. allowing you to use the full set of Visual Studio features and updates for "free" for a monthly subscription of something like 8.99 per month.

This will open your product up to people like me who need the extra tools and reliability of the professional or ultimate product... and the toolsets... but who have not got that kind of money in one big hit.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Cloud  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. IDE Enhancement - Recently i was modifying someone else's code. And I had to write multilevel If....else loops. Here I added additional IF

IDE Enhancement - Recently i was modifying someone else's code. And I had to write multilevel If....else loops. Here I added additional IF loop and IDE indented some other End IF for this newly added IF. This gave me an compiler error of missing End IF.

I suggest such nested loops should be of different color, so it becomes easy to tally the loops even before i build the code. For e.g First IF / end if will have BLUE color. If i am having another if inside then that will have color YELLOW. So AT the bottom of the…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi and thanks for raising this suggestion

Whilst we haven’t implemented quite the feature you described, we have introduced a new feature in Visual Studio 2017 RC that I believe will help you: Structure Visualization. This draws dotted vertical lines on your code editor to show the structural blocks; in the case of C# this is right down to the if and for block level. This means you always know what block you are in. You can hover the lines to see the opening statement of each block which is useful if the block opener is offscreen.

Please try the Release Candidate at https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/visual-studio-2017-rc/ . Let me know how you get on at mwthomas at Microsoft dot com

Thanks
    Mark Wilson-Thomas
    Program Manager, Visual Studio IDE Team

12. UnityVS should support resx and .designer.cs files

UnityVS should take care of resx and .designer.cs files in the Unity asset folders so we can use .net native resource system in visual studio for Unity projects.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. support multi javascript file inteligent

I create People function in file A and I can not view it in file B( must type " var people=new People()" fully).
    Can Visual Studio add in that object in dorp down box (have many other object inside).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback, Khoa – This should work for you when using Visual Studio 2012.

If you’re building Windows Store apps using JavaScript, when you include both files A and B in a .html file for your application (e.g. default.html) you’ll see the People function from file A available via IntelliSense (the drop down box you refer to) in file B.

If you’re building a web site, you can add a reference directive (///

For more details about reference paths, see this MSDN article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb385682.aspx#ReferenceDirectives

- Jordan Matthiesen, Program Manager in Visual Studio

14. Wheres the Visual Basic.NET version of this ?

http://www.asp.net/vnext/overview/whitepapers/whats-new.

If not why, as this is just unprofessional....

Its just shameful that a major developer such as Microsoft, the Redmond giant choose's to behave this way......

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Let commented code be collapsible in XAML.

Sometimes I am commenting out a big portion of the code and I just want to collapse it for readability.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow Visual Studio on Windows to remote debug Unity on Mac.

Either on a network or with Visual Studio running in a virtual machine.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Danien,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Even though it’s not a scenario that we support right now, this is something that you can already do today if you import the VSTU package into Unity running on OSX, and if you open the VSTU generated solution in VS in a VM.

Thanks & best regards,
    Jb Evain, Dev Lead, Tools for Unity

17. Change Location of View Code <> Icon - VS 2011 Beta

At first glance of VS 2011 Beta - the View Code <> icon appears to be too far to the right in the Solution Explorer.
    If the Solution Explorer is not wide enough, the <> icon is not visible.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Please provide a "Dark Theme" that uses the white background in the text editor (i.e., don't make the user have to customize EVERY color if

Please provide a "Dark Theme" that uses the white background in the text editor (i.e., don't make the user have to customize EVERY color if they want a light editor background)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Open file with single click in Solution Explorer

Currently a file in Solution Explorer has to be double clicked to open the file. I'd like Visual Studio to match Visual Studio Code in that a file is opened with a single click.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for logging this with us! You may have turned off the setting in Visual Studio 2012, 2013, or 2015 that allows files to be opened with a single click.

Go to Tools > Options > Environment > Tabs and Windows and then check that in the “Preview Tab” section that “Preview selected files in Solution Explorer” is selected.

If this isn’t working for you, please reply so we can get a bug logged and look into this.

Thanks!
    Cathy Sullivan
    Visual Studio IDE Team

20. Visual Studio "15" Preview won't install when Proxy Server used

Installation of Visual Studio "15" Preview failed for me. I suspect it is because I am behind a corporate Proxy Server.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Feedback and Knowledge Base