Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. in ctrl+ N I can search the stylesheet when I type .css

in ctrl+ N I can search the stylesheet when I type .css

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Memory profiling; Performance Profiling

I have an idea, if Microsoft would like for they Windows products to succeed they should include memory and performance diagnostic tools at list into Preffesional edition of Visual Studio. This will help to write more quality applications for Windows 8 and this would bring more users to Windows 8. Ultimate edition costs a lot and is far out of reach for the developers who are starting, and would like to create new applications.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Improve Imports/using-recognition

C# is much better when it comes to resolving types while typing. In VB you need to change the focused line in the editor to make VB recognize a missing "Imports".

Example: In C# you type "File" and press ALT-Shift+F10 and commit the following "using System.IO" with Return.
    In VB you type "File", ArrowUp, ArrowDown, ALTShift+F10 + Return

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Andreas,

If you hadn’t heard already last week at BUILD we announced the PUBLIC release of a Preview of the next version of the Visual Basic language and code editing experience powered by “Roslyn”. You can download this preview and install it on top of Visual Studio 2013 today!

I’m happy to report this issue has been fixed and you can see for yourself by installing the preview; VB and C# have consistent experiences here.

Download the End User Preview @ http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/vstudio/roslyn

I encourage you all to download it, try it out, and send us your feedback.

Regards,

Anthony D. Green, Program Manager, Visual Basic & C# Languages Team

4. No

Documentation on Visual Studio. What about a few manuals.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. let Visual Studio for git supports Visual Studio 2010

Could you support Visual Studio 2010? After all, a lot of developers use this version to develop .net application

We've bought over 20 licenses of vs2010.

Thank you, very very much!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. why can't we add multiple css and JS files like 50 in number in Corodva app

Just facing this critical problem when working on Cordova app development using visual studio 2015. I'm using third party libraries in my project with bower.
    I must admit adding bower was really great in #VS2015

Question1: Build is seriously failing when adding other files in solution. can we know why is this .

Question2; unable to load polymer functions in cordova project

ref: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32014483/unable-to-build-app-for-android-platform-due-to-multiple-js-and-css-files

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Have a video feedback tool right there in the IDE for MS.

I have continual feedback for MS and I want to show you, but videoing it and converting it, uploading etc. is a ball ache. Filling forms is ball ache. I haven't got 40 mins to file a report every day.

Steps to reproduce? No chance. I don't know, and they're usually one offs.

Make it easy for us to help you. I want to help, but I have almost no time in my life.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add Code Contracts to the various runtimes (Silverlight, etc.) and to the portable libraries.

Code contracts are an extremely useful concept, but not being able to use them everywhere means it's a concept that won't be adopted.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Confirm before removing a breakpoint that has conditions or other manually entered configurations. It's too easy to accidentally lose them.

It's far too easy to accidentally click the breakpoint's "red dot" to remove it. You then have to start over and re-enter your conditional.

Please confirm before removing a breakpoint that has conditions or other manually entered configurations.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

This suggestion is complete. You can now undo/redo deleting breakpoints starting with Visual Studio 2015 Preview http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/visual-studio-2015-downloads-vs

For more information, please, read: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2014/10/06/new-breakpoint-configuration-experience.aspx

If you have any feedback or questions for us, please, reach out through:
    Send-a-Smile (Visual Studio feedback tool)
    https://twitter.com/VS_Debugger
    vsdbgfb@microsoft.com
    commenting on the blog post

If you would like to follow news about the Visual Studio Debugger, please subscribe to our blog or to our twitter account.

Thanks for sharing this suggestion with us and for using Visual Studio!
    Maria Ghiondea
    Visual Studio Diagnostics

10. Change two UI details...

First, there is documented UX research showing that words written in all caps are ****** to read and recognize quickly. Please change the top menu bar from all caps back to typical capitalization! I find the menus so hard to read!
    Second, I don't like the lack of color differentiation on the Solution Explorer.. Folders, Forms, Script files etc are all the same color, making it extremely hard to differentiate between them quickly. Again, use of color is a basic UX principle, why abandon it?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback.

We have made a number of changes to the UI, colors, icons, and Menu Bar style in Visual Studio 2013 and its updates, and Visual Studio “14” CTP2. Please refer to following uservoice items for details -

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3184305-bring-back-full-color-icons-to-visual-studio-2012

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/2837384-change-all-caps-menu-in-vs-2012-to-vs-beta-format

Visual Studio UX Team

11. Improve intellisense for creating instances of a type

Improve the intellisense to create a new instance of a type. In C# the intellisense recognizes the desired type and focueses the item so you just have to commit. In VB you need to type the whole type again (have a look at the attached image).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Andreas,

If you hadn’t heard already last week at BUILD we announced the PUBLIC release of a Preview of the next version of the Visual Basic language and code editing experience powered by “Roslyn”. You can download this preview and install it on top of Visual Studio 2013 today!

I’m happy to report this issue has been fixed and you can see for yourself by installing the preview; VB and C# have consistent experiences here.

Download the End User Preview @ http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/vstudio/roslyn

I encourage you all to download it, try it out, and send us your feedback.

Regards,

Anthony D. Green, Program Manager, Visual Basic & C# Languages Team

12. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We changed our database (which enables features like Go To Definition and Find All References — please note that these are not considered “IntelliSense” features) to use SQLite. This new database dramatically speeds up initial solution parse time and improves the performance of the previously mentioned features.

The new database is used by default in VS2015 Update 2, and is available in VS2015 Update 1 under Tools —> Options —> Text Editor —> C/C++ —> Experimental

13. multiple class bug in css edit in html file

multiple class bug in css edit in html file

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add settings in xaml editor "Do not open Design-Time by default"

Our team is working on a project in which, most often, XAML can not be displayed in the Design-Time. But when you open a new file, IDE automatically tries to open a designer that takes computer resources for nothing

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. New "Light wieght" Installer should use WPF High DPI Support

The new light weight installer should use the High DPI / Mixed DPI bitmap support in .NET 4.6.2 for WPF

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks so much for your feedback. Our new installer has updates that support high DPI, introduced around Preview 5. We believe that we’ve fixed this, therefore. If you’re willing, please retest and if you’re not seeing this working for your machine please use the Report a Problem menu in the installer client so we can track it as a bug.

Thanks so much, Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

16. Close { in C# Editor

In the C# Editor it's a good idea to close brackets automatically. It improves the productivity, and is a simple implementation.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. add a Cuban own currency (Kuuba peso, CUP) into currency listing

Since Dynamics CRM is using .NET for currency handling, we've noticed Cuban internal currency Kuuba peso, CUP is missing from there.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Please introduce number of unique downloads in Visual Studio extensions statistics

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/351096/please-introduce-number-of-unique-downloads-in-vis.html
    Please make it possible for extension developers to see the exact number of unique downloads of their extensions. Also, it would be nice to see number of updates installed since last update uploaded to the gallery. This would give an overview of how many developers actually use a given extension.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. asdf

Hey David Gorena Elizondo, Why u guys are selling the Testing Center tool?

How people can group the test cases? Did u guys thought about that? Its really shame on you guys.

I can group them using the tags in TFS but not in the Testing Center tool and my company wasted their money.

The only place is "Area" user can query and add test cases. User can't add the "Tags" in their query and MTM is not even support Tags. Did you guys work for microsoft for FREE? do some work guys and hire the right person or the…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add support for C called Visual C

Add support for C language called Visual C

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello and thank you for the suggestion. We do already support C development in Visual Studio, and have done some work to improve the support over the years, as listed in this blog post: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2013/06/28/c1114-stl-features-fixes-and-breaking-changes-in-vs-2013/

While some outstanding issues remain around C conformance, we are currently focusing on better conforming to the C++ Standard. We will address C Standards conformance once we conform to the C++ Standard.

In the meantime, you can report any bugs via Help > Send Feedback > Report A Problem in the IDE.

Feedback and Knowledge Base