Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Include SketchFlow in Blend 2015

We use SketchFlow extensively for prototyping new applications and soliciting feedback from our clients. It has been invaluable for quickly prototyping UI screens and communicating to the client that the UI is just a "sketch" and it's not "almost done". Also, the XAML architecture can largely be reused to jump start the final development of the application.

At the very least, provide the "sketchy" styles with Blend so we can continue to use it without the player.

118 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    25 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add Codelens support for Javascript, Typescript and CSS

Codelens currently doesn't support these languages, but with HTML5 support in Windows 8 and Phone 8 and of course the Web, it's a large part of the editing done inside Visual Studio. Many of the existing lenses would work just fine with CodeLens.

Support for Chutzpah Javascript test runner would be an added bonus.

117 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. ability to make a metro app using Lightswitch

ability to create a metro app (arm or x86) including metro UI elements in LightSwitch

112 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Marc,

Thanks for your suggestion. We are currently focused on the HTML client. As such, we are going to have to decline this suggestion. The HTML client is designed to automatically adapt to size of hosting browser, from phones to tablets to desktop.

Thanks,
    Elizabeth Maher, LightSwitch Team

4. Support JavaScript/Managed mixed mode debugging

Provide the ability to debug both JavaScript and Managed code at the same time with one instance of Visual Studio.

107 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback on this idea. We have reviewed this and we will not be able to complete this suggestion in the foreseeable future. For now the only option is too attach both script and managed from two instances of Visual Studio though this solution isn’t ideal it should unblock development.

Andy Sterland,
    Program Manager, Visual Studio

5. Automatic build numbering for c/c++ projects

It would be nice to have a feature for automatic build numbering of projects (C/C++) that use *.rc file for file numbering. Currently you need to do it manually by yourself or you need to use pre-build event and call some custom batch script. I think the second option is the most used by many projects. But i believe it would be very helpful to have some kind of standard way for this task in the Visual Studio.

106 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  3 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Enable Page Inspector in Visual Studio 2015

Visual Studio 2013 has the Page Inspector feature, which is really useful in debugging the 'look' of an app. Please enable this feature in Visual Studio 2015.

101 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add React Native support to VS2015.

Facebook have a React Native to build both iOS and Android, and could write javescript html 5 and css to have native application, This could compare to Cordova, A compiled to wrapper or native like Xamarin did.
    TypeScript already suport React, and will VS2015 support React Native also, like Tools for Cordova project.

92 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Provide a better command line. Cmd.exe just doesn't cut it for serious development work.

Any Unix/Linux terminal, or even PuTTY for Windows easily beats cmd.exe:
    - Easy cut/copy/paste
    - Tabbed command lines
    - Arbitrary width by resizing
    - Command history
    - Custom startup scripts by user (like ~/bashrc)
    - Shebang line to denote interpreter of a file
    - Lots of awesome command-line utilities built-in (try "ls -l /usr/bin" to see what I mean)
    .. etc.

Developers like to have a good command line. :)

91 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for posting, Roy – we really don’t have anything to do with cmd.exe, as this is the Visual Studio team. There is an idea posted on this site around adding PowerShell support to VS. If that is of interest, you might consider voting for that idea.

Thanks,
    Doug Turnure – Visual Studio PM

9. Support Microsoft SQL Compact Edition

Support Microsoft SQL Compact Edition

90 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Which suggestion here has the most comments ?

The suggestion here on Visual Studio uservoice with the most comments is the one that users are most concerned about.

Which suggestion is that ?

87 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Silverlight 6

The Suggestion Silverlight 6 is declined by Microsoft, even though it had 15568 Votes. Declined Suggestions are not dilsplayed in this list , but I think everybody should see how important 15568 votes for Microsoft are.
    https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3556619-silverlight-6

85 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Scala plugin and Scala .Net

I understand Microsoft is financially supporting the development of a Scala plugin for VS. It is difficult to get the exact status of this project, but it should be given a much higher priority. Scala an awesome language in my inevitably biased opinion has the potential to be significantly better on .Net runtime than the JVM with the use of value types types and a much better implementation of Generics. There is of course huge potential for integration and use of DirectX Wpf, Metro etc.

I would like to see a Microsoft variant of Scala to fully leverage the capabilities…

84 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Languages - Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

Paul Chapman
    Program Manager, Visual Studio

13. Windows Forms Designer

I would Like to design Windows Forms in F#

83 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Languages - F# Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Please include Database Unit Testing in VS 2012

I extensively used the Database Unit test in VS 2010. Please bring them back for VS 2012

80 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  3 comments  ·  SQL Server and Data Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. easy msi deployment

- integrate wix for msi deployment in IDE
    - better scan of dependencies
    - enhance custom action development. (integrate in ide...)
    - support msp-patch development
    - setup designer (setup GUI)

79 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Make the Sign In option for 2013 have a 'Never Show This Again' option

I would prefer you complete remove the Sign In option, but at the very least make it 'Don't Show This Again' option or a context menu to hide it.

The last thing I want to see is a Sign In button on the right hand side of Visual Studio, I clicked it trying to disable it and it expects me to sign in.

First you add Tiles and ruin the desktop, if it wasn't for Classic Shell I would be back on Windows 7.

If it wasn't for the tens of thousands of free software you (Microsoft) give me I…

77 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for providing this feedback. Unfortunately we are not able to address this suggestion so we are releasing the UserVoice votes to use on other topic. Users with a paid subscription can optionally sign in to the IDE or obtain a product key to unlock Visual Studio. Eligible MSDN subscribers can obtain a product key from the “Subscriber Downloads” section of http://msdn.com or from your organization’s volume license administrator.

- Anthony Cangialosi
    Visual Studio Program Manager

17. Enhance visual studio native unit test framewoek

I really think an out of the box unit test framwork C++ with visual studio is a great idea. The fact that the test framework integration allows other "providers" to run unit tests is another leap forward.

However I have some concerns regarding the actual syntax of the native tests. In particular I thought the Assert class's AreEqual() and associated members were a little bit too simplistic.

Other more mature frameworks (boost, google test, etc) supply a rich set of Assert functions/macros.

I would really like to see MS add some more thought to the Assert class implementation, adding LessThan,…

76 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  4 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add a "Preview" Tab on top of the Screen Designer

I believe it will be very useful to have a "Preview" Tab while desiging LightSwitch Screens

Suggested Preview Modes:
    *A Full Preview for the whole Screen
    *A Partial Preview to see group/s (control tree)

74 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. We are going to decline the suggestion of a full preview designer. However, the Silverlight client as the Runtime Screen Designer, which allows you to adjust application UI while in debug mode. For the HTML Client, Visual Studio 2012 Update 2 and later includes the Edit and Refresh feature, which allows a developer to sampling refresh the webpage to see update made to any client code without having to restart your debugging session. Details are available at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/lightswitch/archive/2013/07/23/speed-up-lightswitch-development-with-edit-amp-refresh-sudhanshu-kulkarni.aspx.

Thanks,
    Elizabeth Maher, LightSwitch Team

19. Non-modal UI for Extensions and Updates download and install

When downloading an extension (say VS Web Essentials), Visual Studio IDE is completely blocked. Why should I have to watch through the progress of the extension download progress bar? Please make this non-modal.

74 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately this activity is more invasive than it looks at first glance. Installing extensions is designed to be quick, but also requires Visual Studio to be restarted because of the way that extensions are so tightly integrated into the core product. We’re continuing to work on improvements to both the UI and the performance of extensions, including background update of extensions and the new Visual Studio Marketplace, which should make it easier to browse and update without impeding your work.

Thanks for your feedback, and apologies that we’re not able to resolve this favorably at this time.

Best wishes, Tim Sneath | Visual Studio Team

20. Make Visual Studio Tools for Unity available por Visual Studio Express

I see MS has recently released Visual Studio Tools for Unity for VS2013... but it seems to work only for Pro and above versions. Is it possible (or even planned) to be released for VS Express?

73 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Feedback and Knowledge Base