Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Visual Studio Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Visual Studio Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Visual Studio teams.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please make Visual Studio for Linux versions supporting GCC compilers

Visual Studio being immensely popular among Windows developers, you have already extended it to support Android platform, why not support Linux with GCC compilers collections. All you have to do is to invoke GCC compiler, GDB debugger and show it's messages/errors/warnings while compiling. There is not much changes you have to do to accomplish that. Or you can make Visual Studio Code to do that. It does not support compiling in Linux just does browsing. If not make Visual Studio Code compile/debug GCC compilers.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. fix intellisense in the context of "For i as integer..."

In the context:
    Dim a(10) As Integer
    For i As Integer = 0 To 10 : a(IncompleteBeta)
    what I typed was a(i), and at close parenthesis, it didn't know that I meant the For i variable. If i were already dim'ed, it works as expected.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Anonymous,

If you hadn’t heard already last week at BUILD we announced the PUBLIC release of a Preview of the next version of the Visual Basic language and code editing experience powered by “Roslyn”. You can download this preview and install it on top of Visual Studio 2013 today!

I’m happy to report this issue has been fixed and you can see for yourself by installing the preview.

Download the End User Preview @ http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/vstudio/roslyn

I encourage you all to download it, try it out, and send us your feedback.

Regards,

Anthony D. Green, Program Manager, Visual Basic & C# Languages Team

4. Navigate from class in Editor to Folder in Solution Explorer

Frequently, while in a class file in the code editor I need to navigate to the class file in Solution Explorer.

I'd like to see a context menu and Keyboard shortcut that supports this capability.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Shiv – You can already do this today and it’s been support in Solution Explorer since Visual Studio 2012! The shortcut is Ctrl + [, S – there is also an icon in the Solution Explorer toolbar to move focus from the Editor to that file in SE. It’s the icon with the double arrows pointing in opposite directions.

We call this “Sync with Active Document.” Let us know if this is what you were looking for and if you like how it behaves.

Thanks!
    Cathy Sullivan
    VS IDE Team

5. Properly render and validate HTML (not XHTML) tags

When writing HTML, Visual Studio seems to validate it (mostly) as if it was XHTML, requiring all tags to be closed. In HTML5 (and HTML4), void tags such as "br" and "input" don't need to be closed, but VS warns anyway.

Related to this, the VS option to auto-close tags will auto-close all tags, not just the ones that require it, so it won't let you type <br> - it will change it to <br />. If you turn this option off, it will let you type <br>, but it will not automatically write close tags for the ones that…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Please make it easy to installing 3rd party libaries globaly

Currently installing a 3rd party libary globally is a problem. This means if I need a libary for many projects, I do not need to add them each time. Also make it possible to third party tools such cmake to detect these libaries. I am thinking to have folders similar to linuix's /usr/lib and usr/include folder structure. This means if needed. I can copy the *.h or lib file and it gets linked

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Keyboard shortcuts for Diff editor

The diff editor in VS11 is a massive improvement over the old one. I've been using WinMerge a lot until now, and I whilst the new editor is functionally much better, I really miss the Alt+up, Alt+Down shortcuts for moving between differences - can we have them (or similar shortcuts) added please?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

We’re glad you like the new Diff Editor. To navigate between Differences, you can use the keyboard shorts F8 (Next Difference) and Shift+F8 (Previous Difference) to navigate in the Diff view. These are provided as commands Diff.NextDifference and Diff.PreviousDifference. If you prefer to use the same shortcuts, you can bind them to these commands.

-Murali
    Murali Krishna Hosabettu Kamalesha | Program Manager | Visual Studio Professional – Editor team

9. "Send Feedback" -> "Report a Problem" does not remove ability to click other windows

when you try to report a problem a user may wish to copy something from another window. not allowing this seems like it might make it pretty difficult for users to report certain problems

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Developer Community  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This should be completed in the latest Visual Studio “15” Preview builds. Give it a try and let us know if you’re still running into the same problem. If so, please report it through our “Report a Problem” function in the IDE to better help us track your problem.

Thanks!
    - Tim

10. for the new Visual studio 15,

for VS 15 preview version, there are two installs, for the new installed, it failed on my machine, I am attaching the error page. any suggestion? My environment is of newly installeed clean windows 10. simplified chinese version.

https://vssetup.azureedge.net/372f783b-96b5-43ec-4e90-d1331dd7ffb0/vs_bootstrapper.exe

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Visual Studio 2013 and Visual Studio 2015 both contain a Notification Hub that will alert you to updates to Visual Studio. For more information, see
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2015/07/21/visual-studio-2015-rtm-whats-new-in-the-ide/#NotificationHub
    and
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2013/09/16/notifications-in-visual-studio-2013/

-Paul Chapman
    Visual Studio Program Manager

12. Bring back find textbox in toolbar

You have changed my development workflow in VS2012 RC by removing the find textbox from the toolbar - now it is similar to web browser find on page and it is annoying because I have to keep closing it and opening it. I liked when it stayed open on the toolbar and I could just click into it to search for text. Now I have to press ctrl-f to open it, and the location is in the upper right corner instead of the center. This is a major change to my workflow!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Greg,

The Find box is still available in the toolbar, it is just not visible by default. You can add it to the toolbar by clicking on the overflow dropdown (next to the find-in-files button, after the Debug configuration) —> Add Remove Buttons —> Find

Thanks,
    Murali
    Murali Krishna Hosabettu Kamalesha | Program Manager | Visual Studio Professional – Editor team

13. Manage profiles to group windows settings by argument/context

Manage profiles in order to group windows settings by argument/context

Example:
    - when i debug i want to view "call stack" at bottom and i don't want to see Solution Explorer window
    - when i edit a WPF form i don't want to view "call stack" but i need to view "Toolbox" Windows on the right of VS.

So I'd like to configure
    - Debug profile: call stack windows at bottom, no Solution Explorer, ...
    - WPF Edit profile: Toolbox window on the right, Breakpoints windows on bottom, ...

VS automatically loads Debug profile (se up windows for me) when…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi and thanks for raising this issue

We have implemented a feature (available in Visual Studio 2015 and later) that lets you create custom window layouts and save them, then switch easily between them. You can do this using the Window….Save Window Layout feature to save a layout, then the Window-Apply Window Layout feature to retrieve it. Each layout is accessible via a shortcut (e.g. Ctrl+Alt+1 for the first layout, Ctrl+Alt+2 for the second and so on), and the layouts roam when you log in to Visual Studio.

We hope you find it useful!

Thanks
    Mark Wilson-Thomas
    Program Manager, Visual Studio Editor Team.

14. Make tab/space indenting options configurable per project

When collaborating on a project, different team members have different tab/space indenting options and the diffs generates can be next to useless. It would be highly valuable to be able to specify the indentation options per project/solution in order to circumvent this common problem.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi @Josh and other supporters of this suggestion

We have now implemented support for the .editorconfig file in Visual Studio 2017 RC. This enables you to set codebase-specific values for common editor settings.

Check out the RC at https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/visual-studio-2017-rc/

See documentation of the editorconfig feature at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/ide/create-portable-custom-editor-options

Let me know how you get on – drop me a line at mwthomas at Microsoft dot com.

Thanks
    Mark Wilson-Thomas
    Program Manager, Visual Studio IDE Team

15. VS UI is not attractive so provide UI Visual studio extension template. So that we can use it to provide 'n' number of UI styles.

VS UI is not attractive so provide UI Visual studio extension template. So that we can use it to develop and provide 'n' number of UI styles.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add Visual Studio Express for Desktop for suggestions and ideas.

At the top of this page you state, "Welcome to the Visual Studio 2015 UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for the IDE of Visual Studio (Community, Professional or Enterprise)."

I suggest that you also include Visual Studio Express for Desktop so that I can suggest ideas.
    Thank you,
    Richard Green

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Is Microsoft color blind? Why are IDE's menus and icons colors just black and white? It's very uncomfortable

Is Microsoft color blind? Why are IDE's menus and icons colors just black and white? It's very uncomfortable. Color them!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

In Visual Studio 2013, we added more color to some of the icons where it’s meaningful and also introduced the Blue theme (go to Tools > Options > Environment to change the theme). We encourage you to try the Blue theme or the Dark theme to see if they are more comfortable for you. You can also customize the look and feel of your IDE using the 2013 Theme Editor: http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/9e08e5d3-6eb4-4e73-a045-6ea2a5cbdabe

Thanks,
    VS IDE Team

18. visual studio tools for unity IDE version support problem

shall you support VS14 and Unity 5 since those two test version of IDE has been published for a few time, and it's not to difficult to support VS14 right? it's just a version detection improvement for the VS2013 is not to different from VS14

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Visual Studio Tools for Unity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add IntelliSense for CSS Selectors

Can you add IntelliSense for CSS selectors?

You can autocomplete standard HTML tags and attributes, CSS psuedo-classes and pseudo-selectors.

Even better, you can complete classes or IDs that are used elsewhere in the document (or in other HTML and CSS files in the project)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Custom TFS Dashboard Widgets

The ability to define and publish custom dashboard widgets on TFS.
    Widgets could be developed using html and javascript and potentially even sold on the marketplace for VSO.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Feedback and Knowledge Base