Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add VS2015 links to "The latest supported Visual C++ downloads" (KB2977003) page

The page "The latest supported Visual C++ downloads" at
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2977003
    should be updated with links to VC++ 2015 redistributables as well.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Accessibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. When you have an unresolved type in your code, with red squigglies underneath, you can type [CTRL+.] to open the “lightbulb” menu, and the first option in there should be to add the “using” statement. Just press Return and it’s there. Does that work for you?

Bertrand Le Roy – .NET – Program Manager

4. Add cherry-pick support for VS tools for Git

Please consider adding "git cherry-pick " support through the UI.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Use an existing Excel-file like an template

The Excel export is a very good feture but it generates a completly generic excel-output. It would be nice to design an excel-template-file and on userRequest LightSwitch only fills the wanted data from the Screen into the excel-template and opens the fully formated and user-ready excel-file for the user.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Notification emails have broken links

The notification emails have a "View the problem" link that goes to the home page. It should go to the problem in the email. Otherwise there is no way to get to the problem referenced in the email, and typically there is not enough information in the email to find the problem any other way.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Developer Community  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. About gray-style menu, toolbars and Views

It should be colorize on onmouse

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Optimize the "Intellisense" in F#,At least not bad than python support

Some examples:
    1、new line's first word can not list members automaticly,i need use ctrl+J,but c# or vb works fine,even python works better than F#(MS's natural son)
    2、 i define a new expression on the top,but intellisense can't auto list it,crtl+J again,even python can do it.

Sad(ಥ _ ಥ)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Languages - F# Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Report unit-test duration in test explorer in milliseconds

In VS "15" preview, the test running times are shown as 0.00:00.001. It's awful lot of useless zeroes. Just show 1ms. Or when the test duration gets into tens of seconds, show like 11.5s. It was ok in VS 2015.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Increase a value of MAX_PATH

See these links:
    http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015/suggestions/4954037-fix-260-character-file-name-length-limitation
    https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/6729861-remove-maximum-path-length-limitation
    https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/6573539-remove-the-long-standing-max-path-limitation
    https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/9839496-make-windows-explorer-work-with-long-path-files
    These problems are caused by the value of MAX_PATH - it is too low. If you can't cope with these problems, in operating systems with a support (Windows Vista and newer) - there with WINVER at 0x0600 - the value of MAX_PATH should be definitely higher. In <windows.h> it could be set by #ifdef macros or something like that. If it would require a change in these operating systems, an update should be created and applied. If it isn't possible (the app would crash on OS without the update or would glitch), then…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add a d:DesignBackground XAML property so we can easily read black/default text in the XAML preview pane under Dark Theme

I find myself adding Background="White" on every control I write so I can get a clear look at it, but sometimes forget to out the hardcoded background which I never intended to check in.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. allow the Global keyword for namespace declarations in VB.NET

Request:

It should be possible to define a namespace like this:

Namespace Global.MyCompany.MyLibrary

'my code

End Namespace

Meaning that the specified namespace (MyCompany.MyLibrary) is an absolute Namespace and should ignore the default namespace defined at project level.

Reason:

If I have a VB.NET - project with a default namespace, say "MyCompany.MyProduct" and 50 files representing classes, enums etc. and now there comes one new class that thematically belongs to another assembly (say "MyCompany.MyLibrary"), but because of cross-reference-restrictions I have to include in this assembly but with the namespace of the other one, then I have to remove the the default…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Chris,

I feel your pain. You’re right, one shouldn’t have to redo their entire project to add a one-off namespace. Happily, as another has mentioned already this has been fixed in VB2012 http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vbteam/archive/2011/09/27/announcement-namespace-global.aspx

You can now use the Global keyword as the root of a namespace declaration.

Regards,

Anthony D. Green, Program Manager, Visual Basic & C# Languages Team

15. Please enable TestCases in MSTest

Please enable TestCases in MSTest

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Feedback tool "Problem manager" console to engage with VS team

When I submit a problem, I often want to go back and talk about it some more, add more information or how I resolved it.

This ultimate helps you and helps the community.

At least, I should get an ID and an email address I can use to forward further detail.

At present, the feedback tool sends "Problems" into a black hole. Usually, a VS team triage dude contacts me, that's GREAT, but often its long after the event and I've just forgotten and moved on.

Thanks. Love you.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Developer Community  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add ability to disable extensions without uninstalling them

There are some extensions for Visual Studio that offer over-lapping functionality. There are cases were I need both extensions installed but for one project I would need just the one extension and at the same time need the other extension for another project I'm working on.
    It would be nice to have a disable feature for installed extensions so that I can decide when to disable an extension temporarily so that the competing functionality is only offered from the extension I leave active.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. VS11 Bug - HTML auto-formatting strips spaces where it shoudn't

When you format HTML document (CTR+K,D) in Visual Studio 11 Beta, it strips some whitespaces which should be kept (screwing the document formatting). For example:

<a href="#">123</a> | ..becomes.. <a href="#">123</a>|
    <strong>123</strong> или ..becomes.. <strong>123</strong>или

etc.

Those bugs make HTML auto-formatting useless. Has to be fixed before the RTM.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Bring back the unrestricted Visual Studio Express Editions

The recently announced Visual Studio Community Edition brings with it stronger restrictions relative to who has access to the basic Microsoft compiler tool chain. It has also been announced that there is no plan to release an Express Edition in the 2015 wave.

As a long-time supporter of the Express Editions and of the huge amount of free-software that was created using these tools in the last 10 years, I am concerned that this will have a direct negative impact in the future of this developer community.

As of now, this decision has effectively introduced a barrier to entry for…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Visual Studio Community is free for individual developers, open source projects, academic research, training, education, and small professional teams.

Any individual developer can use Visual Studio Community to create their own free or paid apps.

An unlimited number of users within an organization can use Visual Studio Community for the following scenarios: in a classroom learning environment, for academic research, or for contributing to open source projects.
    For all other usage scenarios:
    In non-enterprise organizations, up to five users can use Visual Studio Community. In enterprise organizations (meaning those with >250 PCs or >$1 Million US Dollars in annual revenue), no use is permitted beyond the open source, academic research, and classroom learning environment scenarios described above.

For more information, see https://www.visualstudio.com/products/visual-studio-community-vs

20. Add a feature to save/restore Desktop layouts

I work on 2 monitors at work and a single monitor remotely (same PC). It would be nice to be able to switch between my 2 monitor layout and 1 monitor layout by selecting layouts I have preconfigured and saved.

Also useful to have developing and debugging layouts. So when I enter into debug mode it uses a certain preconfigured layout.

Attached is an image from another development environment that has this feature. Anders might remember it :)

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Feedback and Knowledge Base