Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Stop signing me out of Visual Studio! (and MSDN)

Pretty much every time I fire up Visual Studio I get greeted by the little yellow warning symbol asking me to re-enter my credentials.

I check the 'Remember my details' box (or whatever equivelent) but it makes little difference.

I work on two different computers (one at work and one at home) but do not consider this to be that unusual a set-up.

Incidentally I find that when F1'ing to get help, the MSDN page often asks me to sign in. I use Chrome as my daily driver browser but again this should be a fairly typical scenario.

I don't…

489 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    30 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Extend JavaScript intellisense

Implement extended intellisense support to writing javascript code. Add tracking classes inheritance in members list of intellisense suggestion

476 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone – we’ve added most of the requests in the comments, and we’re going to close out the idea as fixed. If your individual item is not in the beta, please feel free to open a new UserVoice idea to represent it. Since the majority of these votes were targeting items we’ve now added to the JavaScript Intellisense, we want to close the item out to release the votes from this idea, so they can be applied to other areas.

3. Use HTML5 as representation layer instead of silverlight

So I can use lightswitch out-of-box in iPhone,Android,WP7,iPad and all devices support HTML5.

467 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make the Options dialog resizable

The current option dialog in not resizeable which makes it very hard to configure e.g. the keyboard view (only 4 lines of commands visible). Please make it resizeable!

460 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  23 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Visual Studio should be Touch-Friendly

Anyone who has put Visual Studio 2012 on a computer with a touch screen will attest to how bad the environment behaves when attempting to touch the screen.

Visual Studio should include either a full-fledged touch mode or include settings that allow users to take advantage of touch enabled devices.

460 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    31 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Touch Supporters,

As I mentioned in the feedback, we have addressed this suggestion in Visual Studio 2015, which supports touch gestures in the Visual Studio Editor only – you can scroll, select by double-tapping a word, select a line by single tap to the left of the line, pinch-zoom.

Try the Visual Studio 2015 (it’s available for download at https://www.visualstudio.com/) if you haven’t already done so, and send feedback via the in-product feedback feature. If there are other parts of Visual Studio that would be particularly valuable to you if they were touch enabled, please do let us know through that channel too.

Thanks!
    Mark Wilson-Thomas
    Program Manager, Visual Studio Editor Team

6. Better project reload

If you work with DVCS like Git or Mercurial you always switch back and forth between branches. This always cause Visual Studio to reload projects even if they were not changed. Even if project is changed, it should not be that long. And of course it should not ask to reload each project.

445 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Visual Studio 2017 detects that a project file has changed on disk, it shows a message to user to choose between reloading entire solution or reload the project that was changed. If you see any issues with a particular source control system, please send a bug report using “Report a problem” tool in Visual Studio 2017.

Thank you for your feedback!

7. C++ compiler should warn about wrong member initialization order

Every few years this suggestion emerges and I think now is the time for next iteration.
    In C++ the order of class/struct member initialization is determined by the order of member declaration and not by the order of their appearance in member initialization list. It is therefore extremely easy to to write a code that is very hard to find, e.g.:

struct S {
    int a;
    int b;

S( int i ) : b(i), a(b+1) {}
    };

int main()
    {
    S s(42);
    }

and we have garbage in s.a what might be not obvious for a novice programmer.
    GCC issues…

445 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This warning has been added in Visual Studio 2017 (15.3 update). If you want to take advantage of it, you will want to turn on /WX (Enable all warnings) or /w35038 (to enable just this warning)

Thank you for your votes — have them back and put them to good use again!

— Visual C++ Team

8. Add CodeLens support to Visual Studio Online

Add CodeLens support to Visual Studio Online

444 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Support application in multiple languages

It is crucial to have possibility to have same app in more than on language ...

436 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    21 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Support the ability to push Git Tags to remote

It's now possible to create Git tags in VS2015.
    However, these are local tags, and can't be pushed to the remote server.
    One has to use the git command line: git push --tags
    Would it be possible to get this push command from within Visual Studio?

425 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    17 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add ctrl-click go to definition from Productivity Power Tools

The VS2010 Productivity Power Tools had a ctrl-click go to definition feature. This was great and could be an easy option to add (does not need to be on by default).

423 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    26 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello supporters!

In Visual Studio 15.4, we added the popular Productivity Power Tools navigation feature Control Click Go To Definition to the core Visual Studio product.
    For supported languages (currently C#, VB and Python, with more languages coming in future releases), holding down the Ctrl key will allow you to click on a symbol in the Visual Studio editor and navigate to its definition.
    If you prefer to keep the older Ctrl+Click word selection behavior, you can control the feature’s key usage via Tools > Options > Text Editor > General > Enable mouse click to perform Go To Definition, which lets you select other modifier keys, or turn off the feature if you wish.

Thank you for helping us build a better Visual Studio.
    Allison Buchholtz-Au
    Program Manager, Visual Studio Platform Team

12. Remove the requirment for Internet Explorer 10 to be installed first prior to VS 2013

So our corporate standard is IE9 and this is fine up through VS2012 but now I find trying to install VS2013 on a test machine that it requires IE10 and no way around this. MS seems determined to force the latest changes on developers for no good reason, it now seems to all about revolution and not evolution. Why on earth do we need the latest version of a browser to use Visual Studio 2013. Seriously guys stop beating on the people who write the software that makes the MS software ecosystem work.

416 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    54 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m pleased to say that today we’ve updated Visual Studio 2013 installers to enable VS 2013 to be installed on Windows 7 machines running IE8 or IE9. Visual Studio 2013 still works best with IE10 or higher, and you’ll need to have that on your machine in order to get the full experience for some scenarios. We’ve updated knowledge base (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=330043) with the details on specific VS2013 experiences that require IE10. Today’s update impacts only the VS2013 setup; no changes have been made to Visual Studio itself, so if you have it installed already, there’s nothing you need to do. However, if you were previously unable to install Visual Studio 2013 due to IE system requirements, you can now re-launch setup from our download page (http://aka.ms/getvs)
    or MSDN subscriber downloads (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/downloads/).

Thanks to our UserVoice community for all your feedback and patience as we…

13. add a cl.exe option for system headers like gcc's -isystem

msvc is the only reason we have to clutter our code with
    #ifdef _MSC_VER
    #pragma warning(push, 0)
    #endif

blocks.

413 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  10 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Make Design View available for x64 target platforms with custom elements

Design view is unavailable for x64 and ARM target platforms when the document contains custom elements (XAML with a user control, for example).

412 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    19 comments  ·  UWP / WPF / XAML Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Starting with Visual Studio 2015, we have enabled you to design/author your XAML even when you target anything but x86. Visual Studio 2015 Update 2 should bring together several fixes and changes to have this experience work even better.

However, it is worth noting that we will not be able to execute any code you might have written in the designer when the project is targeting anything but x86. This is because of the restriction that an x86 process (which the XAML designer is) cannot run ARM or x64 code. You should be able to view and edit all of the XAML on the page, with any custom types replaced with replacements to preserve the WYSIWYG experience as much as possible (and switch to x86 when you really care about running the code in the designer).

Thanks,
    Unni

Program Manager,
    Visual Studio

15. Provide Visual Studio updates as an ISO image for offline installation

The offline installation method (run vs2012.2.exe /layout) is sub-optimal and has too many moving pieces. Please provide future (and current if possible) visual studio updates as an ISO.

I work as a consultant on a variety of customer sites, often on virtual machines with no / little internet connectivity. I also work on a laptop which is often disconnected, and sometimes it is connected via a mobile device which would cost hundreds of dollars to download updates.

In most of these situations, the simplest thing that works (and has worked for a long period of time) is to store and…

410 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    29 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add git worktree support

Git added the ability have multiple working trees for a single repository.
    https://git-scm.com/docs/git-worktree
    When opening a solution from a linked working tree, Visual Studio does not detect as being part of the repository, which deactivate the git features in Visual Studio.

Visual Studio should be able support solutions which are in a linked working tree.

400 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    17 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Run unit tests in parallel

As a developer I want to the Test Explorer to optionally run unit tests in parallel, regardless of the unit test framework so that my unit test runs finish faster on my multi-core machine.

As a developer I want to mark specific tests as single threaded with an attribute so that those tests that specifically don't work in a multi-threaded environment will still work when I run tests in parallel.

384 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    22 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Native .Net Compiler

possibility to compile C# (for example) code to native .exe included framework library inside assembly (here more correctly - .exe)

379 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add git support for CodeLens

I've been using the VS2013 preview for a few weeks now, and love it. CodeLens stuff is really really cool, but some of the lenses only work with TFS as the version control. Adding the ability for these CodeLenses (author, commits) to work with other VCS (git first please!) would be excellent!

376 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Open fast

Make it so that opening a simple text file from Explorer is fast. It's just Text. Make it so fast to open that I no longer need a notepad replacement.
    Make VS2011 into the best notepad replacement!!

It's just text, after all. It's ALL text.

368 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello voters!

With Visual Studio 2017, we have reduced the time it takes to both start Visual Studio and load solutions. In some cases, these changes improve performance dramatically, in others incrementally.

We appreciate the responses and enthusiasm we’ve had on this thread, and wanted to share that we plan to continue to prioritize and improve Startup and Solution Load times in subsequent updates and releases. That said, knowing that we consider this a fundamental area and will continue to invest in it release after release, we want to allow people to allocate their votes in other places. Therefore, we’ll proceed to close this ask as “completed” and free up the votes to be placed elsewhere.

Please visit the following blog post to learn more about the startup improvements in Visual Studio 2017: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2016/10/10/faster-visual-studio-15-startup/

Thanks!
    Ruben Rios
    Program Manager
    Visual Studio IDE Team

Feedback and Knowledge Base