Visual Studio IDE

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide our customers one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Visual Studio Developer Community. To learn more about the migration to Visual Studio Developer Community please check out the release blog post.

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio, so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Visual Studio Team

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add support to the Forms Interop Toolkit for Visual Studio 2012

Currently the Forms Interop Toolkit plugin http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3264 is supported up to Visual Studio 2010.

My company is currently migrating our flagship product from VB6 to VB.NET and we wanted to use the Forms Interop Toolkit to help us do this gradually however we want to use Visual Studio 2012 which is currently not supported by the Forms Interop Toolkit plugin.

73 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    8 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Paul Chapman
    Program Manager, Visual Studio

2. Dart language support

Support for Dart language

71 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! At this point we aren’t planning to pursue support for shipping Dart support in Visual Studio.

While we aren’t planning to pursue this ourselves, Visual Studio extensibility features makes it possible to build support for new languages into Visual Studio, and we’d encourage 3rd parties to work on this if there is interest.

- Jordan Matthiesen, Program Manager in Microsoft Visual Studio

3. Allow Suppressing Update VC++ Compiler and Libraries Dialog in VS2012

Because of Windows XP, we cannot upgrade all of our managed/unmanaged assemblies to .NET 4.5. I have completed all of the work so far to transition our team to VS2012 but one of the issues raised by a team member is the fact that opening a solution automatically displays the "Update VC++ Compiler and Libraries" dialog.

We realize that clicking "Don't Update" will store a persisted value and you won't see that dialog again unless you either wipe out your sandbox or do a 'get latest' from TFS. Rather than hope nobody accidentally upgrades or possibly checks-in such changes, an…

70 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  7 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Printing

Silverlight has come a long way in printing. Most my users want to print data. Lightswitch needs good printing tools.

70 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Taking HandsOnVisualStudio.com to the next level

Hi Rangers,

HandsOnVisualStudio.com is a website that we created based on Brian keller's Virtual Machine and HOLs. My idea is to take this web site to the next level by:

- Translating the 20 available HOLs to other languages and creating videos and DemoMates to explain them (So far, we have the English and Arabic ones only)
    - Creating more HOLs to address extra topics and scenarios like Source Control Features, Team Build, SSDT, GIT Integration, Team Explorer Everywhere, Building Java Projects, Customizing TFS Work Items and Workflows and more)

I'm sure that by teaming up on this we can…

69 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Remove the need for .kproj and .kproject.user projects

Currently VS requires project files in order to open. In the old MSBUILD oriented world this was necessary. With K however, all you need is a Project.json and you can build outside the IDE or in other editors like Sublime.

Only when you go into VS do the files become required. A better experience would be to allow pointing to the Project.json / or a folder and it just loads up.

69 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Project  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. If you haven’t already, I’d encourage you to try out Visual Studio Code for this scenario.

Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time. If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Paul Chapman
    Program Manager, Visual Studio

7. Step by Step Debug in Javascript and Jquery

Step by Step Debug in Javascript and Jquery

65 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Languages - JavaScript  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Jason -

Since we haven’t seen a response from you, I’ll close this down so that you and others can get back your vote. Please post a new idea on the site with some more details if this is something you’re not finding in Visual Studio 2012. Thank you!

- Jordan Matthiesen, Program Manager in Visual Studio

8. Bring back the HwndHost.IsRedirected and CompositionMode

"The .NET Framework 4.5 Developer Preview included a WPF HwndHost redirection feature. However, this feature had several known issues and has been removed from the .NET Framework 4.5 Beta."
    This is a major feature and it was working great on the Developer Preview.
    This feature will "open the door" for many companies who would like to upgrade from WinForm to WPF without rewriting all their custom control.
    Please get it back, it was working great.

64 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    29 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Make MFC MDI child windows capable of tearing-off from the parent window

Similar to child windows tear-off in Visual Studio, make MFC MDI child windows (CMDIChildWndEx) capable of tearing-off from the parent window (CMDIFrameWndEx), like CDockablePane, so that they can be viewed on separate screens.

61 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. add assembler code syntax highlight

add assembler code syntax highlight for disassembled code with (or without) source code
    while debugging C++ native applications.

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  5 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Create a Framework for driving realistic load against SQL Server

I have a framework for driving unit tests directly against SQL server (similar to the original SQL Load Testing project by Rob Jarrett) but with many enhanced features. The tool is already being used for engagement within the Testing Services and Labs, but the tool needs a full team effort to take it to the next level. Some high level info is below and some more in the two attached documents.

SqlUT Framework Overview:
    * The testing engine sits inside of a Visual Studio Unit Test and takes advantage of the ability to feed data sources, test contexts, use timers…

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Make 'Find all References' search in MVC Views

For example, let's say I'm working in an ASP.NET MVC project and have a file named AccountDetailsViewModel.cs open in IDE editor. This file contains a class named AccountDetailsViewModel. In this same MVC project, I have an MVC View in AccountDetailsView.cshtml. This View is strongly typed to use the AccountDetailsViewModel object. When I right-click in AccountDetailsViewModel to find all references to this class, the file AccountDetailsView.cshtml does not appear in the results. The reference to the View Model is not discovered in AccountDetailsView.cshtml. Please enhance the "Final all References" search functionality to discover references in ASP.NET view files such as .cshtml,…

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for all the feedback on this item. Please be advised that we have moved this item to the http://aspnet.uservoice.com
    site and transferred the associated votes. We are going to close this item out and release your votes back to you so you can apply them elsewhere. Note that the votes will remain with the item on the other site, so the item will not lose any of its current vote count, and you will recoup your votes on this site. To track the status, post comments, or add votes on this item, please go to http://aspnet.uservoice.com/forums/41201-asp-net-mvc/suggestions/3090767-make-find-all-references-search-in-mvc-views and sign in using your current user ID and login.

13. Allow to disable codelens 'show references'

CodeLens -> 'Show References' checkbox is disabled. Allow uncheck/disable CodeLens show references feature. It disturbs the code line spacing.

59 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio IDE team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Mark Wilson-Thomas
    Program Manager, Visual Studio IDE Team

14. Improve F# type inference

From rsdn.ru
    Compare type inference for
    typeof<int>.GetMembers() |> Array.map (fun e -> e.Name)
    and
    Array.map (fun e -> e.Name) <| typeof<int>.GetMembers()

56 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Languages - F# Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Merge Expression Blend and Visual Studio so I don't have to go back and forth between two different tools to program Silverlight and WPF

Merge Expression Blend and Visual Studio so I don't have to go back and forth between two different tools to program Silverlight and WPF. Its crazy to have to use two different IDEs. Blend has a terrible Xaml editor and V.S. doesn't work well with behaviors, templates, and design time data.Take the good stuff from each one and put them together. Please!

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Blend for Visual Studio  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Introduce a Visual Studio UML Express edition

You've surely gotta do this.

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately the work to bring this back as an extension or an open source project would be prohibitive. As we’re not investing more deeply in this space at this time, we’re declining this suggestion for now. Sorry - and thanks for the feature suggestion.

18. 51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Because of our experience based implementing x86 inline assembler and the many correctness issues we’ve faced with it, we don’t recommend that developers use this approach and won’t be implementing this for new architectures.

As a workaround, you can use the Microsoft Assembler for x64 (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hb5z4sxd.aspx) to create an .OBJ file that you can link against.

-C++ Team

19. VS2010 : go back to old find dialog (like in VS2010) or allow disabling the quickfind

Hi all,

The new "Quickfind" - panel of VS2012 is annoying. It does not respond as expected and could not be positioned as needed.
    It slows down all work.

So I would suggest to go generally back to the old "find dialog" or allow the users to disable the new "quickfind" toolwindow.

Best regards,
    dp.

50 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi feedback providers

We are not planning to revert to the old find dialog, nor allow disabling of the Quick Find feature in Visual Studio.

However we recognise that some of the issues raised in the comments do need to be addressed, for instance the usability/visibility of the switch toggles for case sensitivity. We’ll look at those as separate issues, however since we’re not planning to make the overall change that is suggested, I’m closing this item as declined.

Please continue to raise feedback on the usability and functionality of the quick find feature via the built-in feedback reporting system so that we can prioritize the work required (see https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt280277.aspx for details of the feedback tools).

Thanks
    Mark Wilson-Thomas
    Program Manager, Visual Studio Editor Team

20. Allow down-voting of suggestions on uservoice.

I'd like the opportunity to down-vote suggestions. Particularly hot topics will get a lot of votes, but that might not truly represent the communities overall attitude towards a proposed change. Both for and against votes need to be gathered.

To be specific, you should collect both up and down votes and display them separately, not combine them to an overall tally. Thus the hot topics are still evident, but also contentious topics are identified.

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Feedback and Knowledge Base