Visual Studio IDE

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide project namespace refactoring

When editing the Default Namespace in the Application project settings for a Visual Studio project file, there is no option to automatically refactor the corresponding namespaces in the associated class files to match the new default namespace. This is especially useful when downloading samples from MSDN which often have namespaces such as MSDN.Samples.<Project Name> which do not correspond to namespace standards within a business organization.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      3 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

• Prompt to change namespace when moving a file in Solution Explorer

When renaming a file in Solution Explorer, VS prompts you to ask if you want to change the class name to reflect the new file name (if the class name and file name sans extension matched at time of rename).

I would like similar capability when moving a file in Solution Explorer. i.e. when moving a class file from one folder to another, prompt the user to change the namespace of the class (if the existing fully qualified class name and its relative folder path + file name matched at the time of the move).

While namespacing is not required…

56 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        4 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

• Floating Toolbars in VS IDE

I just upgraded to VS2012 from VS2008. In VS2008, I was able to float the Debug toolbar over the current document window and shape the toolbar in a square or rectangle. I would position the toolbar just to the right of the code I was debugging. It was very convenient to have the toolbar so close to my code.

I can't do this in VS2012. I would like the ability to do this added back into the VS IDE.

I have added a screen shot of VS2008 to show you what I mean.

Thanks.

- Eric

25 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          4 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

• tv hook up

since loading windows 10 a lot of programs should be removed stick to what was goo in the past and better it these new programs are tempermental and not near as good will place a list later for now i want to know what can be done to connect compter to tv since loading windows 10 have not found a work around or setting to even connect

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Enable word-wrap in the diff view of VS 2013.

By enabling work-wrap in the diff view of VS 2013, I will be able to see the complete line when doing a merge. I have to put 2 separate diffs on the screen and compare them to insure that the merge was done correctly.

20 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio IDE team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Mark Wilson-Thomas
              Program Manager, Visual Studio IDE Team

• Allow recursive lambda functions in C#

Make it possible to call a lambda function from within itself. This would allow elegant encapsulation of a recursive implementation inside a non-recorsive method.

2 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                4 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

• make the lightbulb behavior optional

when using vs2015 for native c++ development it would be liberating and a relief to be able to completely suppress the appearance of annoying light bulb quick action suggestions that make no sense and cause disturbing distractions. there is currently no way to do this.

5 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio IDE team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Mark Wilson-Thomas

• move the "Use the 64 bit version of IIS Express for web sites and projects" to be a project option

we have projects that require 32-bit (native x86) and other projects that requires 64-bit. please make this a per project configuration option.

58 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  Web Development Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

• Editor Formatting: Leave block on single line option is broken

Options -> Text Editor -> C# -> Formatting -> Wrapping -> Leave block on single line.

The above option is broken and does not do what the example suggests it should do. If you type

public int Foo { get; set; }

in the editor. It will reformat it to

public int Foo
                    {
                    get; set;
                    }

which is exactly what it's NOT supposed to do. I've played with the options as suggested in the following thread and it has not worked.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30520764/did-c-sharp-formatting-change-in-visual-studio-2015-and-how-can-i-change-it-bac/

19 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      2 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Mark Wilson-Thomas

• IntelliSense overwrite closing bracket or quote when typed manually

This would allow you to keep typing, without having to move the cursor. Without having to loose the auto-close functionality included in IntelliSense for most languages.

For example, in XAML:
                      <TextBlock Style="{ThemeResource TitleTextBlockStyle}" Text="page title">
                      This line would be easy to create using auto-complete, but when you hit the }" you're stuck.

The expected/natural way to escape would be pressing Tab again, or just typing the closing quote and bracket yourself. But both these just add content to the 'suggested' area.

The current options are seem to be limited to:
                      Moving the cursor or deleting these characters later on.
                      Or…

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Mark Wilson-Thomas

• Auto Save On Close

When closing a code window that has been modified VS asks if I want to save my changes. I would like this to always save without showing me this dialog.

I don't really see any reason for prompting for this, unless you aren't using source control.

4 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Mark Wilson-Thomas

• Add a group view in the error list.

I wish I could grouping by project or type of error

4 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Mark Wilson-Thomas

• Visual Studio's Built in Browser should have a 'Copy URL' on the right click menu

When the 2015 IDE opens up the internal web browser (for instance, Help - Customer Feedback Options - More Options), I should be able to right click on any of the urls and copy the url.

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

Mark Wilson-Thomas

• Ability to have different views of source code, each view is associate with command line compiler directive. such as /P preprocessor output.

The ability to have side by side view in a window of preprocess output .
                              Typically compiled the C++ file with /P.
                              At the top or bottom of the window have 3 tabs. <Source Code | PreProcess Output | Side by Side>

In the output window, when compiling and one double clicks the error, then the visual studio should jump to the Side by Side view.

This would assist in the debugging of complex processor scripts,
                              having the ability to see the generated mistake.

This could probably be expanded to support any number of alternative views were by alternative command…

4 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Mark Wilson-Thomas

• Export Button in Check In list window

currently we have no option to Export files Check In list window in tree structure format,We are looking such functionality next version.

15 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  3 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Mark Wilson-Thomas

• Add a feature to hide Library projects from the Multiple startup projects list under the solution properties

When dealing with a large number of projects in a single solution there often comes the need to mark more than one startup project. At times those startup projects may need to change depending on the task at hand and since there doesn't seem to be a way of having a named set of startup projects at least making the existing mechanism less combersome would be helpful. Mainly the issue is that projects which are not candidates as startup projects are listed such as class libraries. In reality there may only be a handful of actual candidate projects that VS…

2 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Mark Wilson-Thomas

• ftp cancel search

I connect to a large site via ftp and try to search a text in html. Sometimes I forget to set the target of search to document and its using project.
                                    project search would be take a few hours.
                                    Cancel with ESC seem only to work for the current document, so the Cancel dialog come up again and again.
                                    Only solution for me is shutdown Visual Studio

4 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Mark Wilson-Thomas

• Intellisense when you leave and return to typing a method

Take StringBuilder.Append for example, if I type stringBuilder.Appe and then move away and then return to the end of Appe and continue typing ndLine, no suggestions are made.

It's annoyed me for years that Intellisense is only aware of a period being hit to summon the suggestions, (or explicitly doing CTRL+Space).

Its a simple improvement (along with hiding the mouse while typing) that would make a lot of difference.

4 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Mark Wilson-Thomas

• Make ctrl+. quick fix default to rename references when an item got renamed

In VS 2013 when method got renamed by pressing ctrl+. and triggering a quick fix all references were updated by default. In VS 2015 other things can take place such as converting method to static.

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Mark Wilson-Thomas

• to add code blocks

code blocks make it easier to code in a shorter time!

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Mark Wilson-Thomas

← Previous 1 3 4 5 336 337
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base