Visual Studio IDE

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

NOTE: The Applications Insights forum has moved to the Azure feedback site.

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bring back the old "Pending Changes" window

No, not this one: https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/2654486-vs11-bring-back-the-old-pending-changes-window

I want a commit message box, flat list of files with checkboxes, dockable to the bottom of VS and nice looking with full color. I don't need any of the other features you added at this point. Commit message box and a flat list of files with checkboxes. Look in VS 2010 for implementation. I want THAT.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      5 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

• Create a "remove all remnants of Visual Studio from your system" program.

I'm writing this on behalf of the thousands of other Visual Studio users out there who have had nightmares trying to uninstall previous versions of VS. Thus cumulatively losing hundreds of thousands of productive work hours.

During this year, I had installed the following programs/components on my system:
      * Visual Studio 2012 Express for Desktop
      * Visual Studio 2012 Express for Web
      * Team Foundation Server Express
      * SQL Server Express
      * SQL Server Data Tools
      * LightSwitch 2011 trial (which created a VS 2010 installation)
      * Visual Studio 2010 Tools for SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2
      * Entity Framework…

3,960 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        161 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We hear you. Uninstalling Visual Studio is not a pain-free experience.

As mentioned in a previous update, Visual Studio is one of the most complex installers because it includes support for many different languages, frameworks and platforms, installing runtimes from Microsoft and other companies. When someone attempts to uninstall VS (often many months later), it’s not easy to know which components are in use by other applications that may have been installed in the meantime, since some third-party install packages don’t track this. So we err on the side of leaving more remnants rather than risk leaving other apps without the dependencies they need to execute.

If you’re comfortable with this trade-off, we have built a couple of solutions for you:

1. Use the /force switch when running uninstall, which provides a more aggressive approach. This is documented in more detail here:
        http://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/heaths/2015/07/17/.

2. We’ve completed work on a…

• Microsoft.Alm.Shared.Remoting.RemoteContainer very high cpu usage

I’m using VS2015 professional and had to notice that Microsoft.Alm.Shared.Remoting.RemoteContainer (whatever this does) consumes a lot of CPU power. Up to 95%.

I’ve observed this behavior working on a “large” solution (120 Projects => csharp and web stuff).
        I did not do anything special (like starting a build or running a cleanup) to cause this problem.

35 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          closed  ·  13 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • PingReply: Include the RoundTripTime no matter the status

When using the System.Net.NetworkInformation.Ping class to ping an address, a PingReply object is returned. This object includes the round trip time of the ping request. However, the actual round trip time value is thrown out whenever status != IPStatus.Success.

That may be OK when you are only interested in a typical ping response, but for anything more advanced, it becomes problematic.

For example, if you were to reproduce a trace route, all the intermediate hops return a PingReply with status == IPStatus.TtlExpired, and due to the non-success status, the round trip time is always set to zero.

The underlying COM…

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Improve remote debugger is not of an acceptable version error message

Completely useless error message: 'The remote debugger is not of an acceptable version' Why not say what should be the acceptable version. Where is it on disk? From where to download it?

5 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              2 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share and vote on this suggestion. Here on the Visual Studio team we are sorting through all the UserVoice suggestions to figure out what things we are going to work on next. Unfortunately, since this item hasn’t gathered many votes recently, I am going to close it out for now.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion and get other impacted developers to vote for it.

Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Kaycee Anderson
              @KayceeSue
              Visual Studio Team

• Allow to connect with more than one TFS Server

Normally I need to connect with my TFS Server and another TFS, for example CodePlex or a customer TFS.

5 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                2 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we havenÕt acted on it. Looking at the VS Ò15Ó plans, weÕre not going to take action on this item, so weÕre going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if thereÕs another suggestion thatÕs similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

• Add Index Properties (Get/Set) with index Parameters

It should be possible to pass parameters to the get/set methods by defining them once as index parameters. This means that the following code...

public string GetStringValue(Guid guid) { return (string)this[guid]; }

public void SetStringValue(Guid guid, string value) { this[guid] = value; }

can be changed to...

public StringValue[Guid guid]
                {
                get { return (string)this[guid]; }
                set { this[guid] = value; }
                }

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  3 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we haven’t acted on it. Looking at the VS “15” plans, we’re not going to take action on this item, so we’re going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if there’s another suggestion that’s similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

• Allow Printing Hit Count in Tracepoint

It would be very useful to have a tracepoint message that was something like: "Call FooBar, count=$HITCOUNT" that prints the current hitcount of the function. Currently I have to add a custom counter in source to each location to achieve a similar effect.

21 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    2 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for taking the time to share and vote on this suggestion. Here on the Visual Studio team we are sorting through all the UserVoice suggestions to figure out what things we are going to work on next. Unfortunately, since this item hasn’t gathered many votes recently, I am going to close it out for now.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion and get other impacted developers to vote for it.

Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Kaycee Anderson
                    @KayceeSue
                    Visual Studio Team

• I want to create Android Appli with Visual Studio 2005 Pro #J!

I wanna create Android Appli with IceCreamSandwitch developing. So would you create new #Java update?

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Add Apply button to Fonts and Colors options dialog

Please add an apply button to the Fonts and Colors options dialog. It is so very annoying to have to back all the way back out of the options screen just to see how the changes will affect the way text looks.

28 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        3 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

• Add search to Windows Forms and Web Forms properties window

I want to have a searchable properties window in Windows Forms and Web Forms ASP.Net project like in WPF Applications.

13 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

— The Visual Studio Team

• Searching in Properties Window

It would be very helpful to place a search (filter) box on the top of properties window.
                          Like on the top of solution explorer.

14 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion. This item has been around for a couple of versions of Visual Studio and we havenÕt acted on it. Looking at the VS Ò15Ó plans, weÕre not going to take action on this item, so weÕre going to close it. If the suggestion is still relevant, please either take a look to see if thereÕs another suggestion thatÕs similar that you can vote on, or open a new suggestion.

- The Visual Studio Team

• Add Web Service Reference in VS 2015

Why there is no more option "Add Service Reference"?
                            It would be useful to provide the new add web service reference option for both SOAP (WCF) and REST services.
                            Both should generate proxies in language defined by project template as svcutil did it.

15 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              6 comments  ·  Cloud  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Improve VSTS build artifacts download speed

I have a build running under VSTS hosted agents. This build publishes artifacts that are close to 1 GB big.

When I try to download these big artifacts, they get downloaded very slowly. I benchmarked the download speed at about 2.3 MB/s. This is very slow since I benchmarked my connection speed with www.speedtest.net to something close to 9.75 MB/s.

This makes artifacts very unconvenient to use since they take a while to download. For example, downloading a 1GB artifact takes about 7.5 minutes.

14 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio IDE team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Mark Wilson-Thomas
                                Program Manager, Visual Studio IDE Team

• Give intellisense for dynamic objects in C#

Currently dynamic objects in C# do not get intellisense, because they are dynamic. However, it would be possible for intellisense to show properties and methods on dynamic objects that were being added elsewhere in your code.

For example, if I do this:

dynamic foo = new Foo();
                                foo.Bar = 123;
                                M(foo);

And then I do this:

M(dynamic foo)
                                {
                                foo.
                                }

When I type 'foo' followed by '.', it should be able to figure out that I had put the Bar property on foo.

43 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  5 comments  ·  Languages - C#  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

• Ctrl+Shift+T opens the last closed tab

Ctrl+Shift+T would open the last closed tab. This mirrors the behavior of Chrome and other web browsers. I've found this shortcut uber helpful when doing web development and now find myself hitting it in Visual Studio when I closed a tab I didn't mean to.

67 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

- The Visual Studio Team

• Add "Copy Diff from Left to Right" button and vice versa

VS 2013 is awesome. I really appreciate its speed and CodeLens and other things, but there is one I would like to ask you to improve: can you please add functionality like "copy diff from left to right" and vice versa to VS diff tool? I do not want to select piece of code, copypaste it and then remove the old one in the other file. I want one button which will be shown when I put cursor to a line of code and will do it for me if I press it. This button should also copy whole chunk…

81 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      7 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

- The Visual Studio Team

• Add option to remember open files, startup project when switching branches

Add an option to remember which files were open and what the startup project was when switching branches.

6 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        2 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio IDE team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

Mark Wilson-Thomas

• Stop the restarts for updates

It's all very 1990 having to restart the application when you are updating features/addons to VS2015. So sick of loading the app, seeing 5 updates exist and for each one to run I have to close down VS2015 first, before it can install, and then I have to wait for it to scan for the rest of the 4 updates each time it restarts and repeat the entire process yet again. This is 2016, lets make it modular so the update simply refreshes/restarts it's own little area of VS2015, rather than the entire ******** program.

4 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Mark Wilson-Thomas

• Add the number of hidden (collapsed) lines of regions and methods

When a region or method is collapsed, it would be nice if I could see how many lines are hidden in the #region (or Method())

0 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Mark Wilson-Thomas

← Previous 1 3 4 5 360 361
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base