Visual Studio IDE

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 12,084 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      7178 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have read all of the comments on this thread and I’d like to thank you for providing your constructive feedback on this issue. Instead of merely repeating our support and migration guidance that has been laid out on http://msdn.com/vbrun, I’d like to address some of your specific comments here.

To play back the feedback themes we’re hearing:
      - VB6 is awesome
      - VB6 needs to be brought forward and maintained: in a new release or OSS

VB6 was and still is without a doubt awesome. VB6 made developers incredibly productive building a breadth of applications and as a result we have a wealth of applications and passionate developers to this day in 2014. One way I see our mission in developer tools is to empower developers to solve problems. This includes both today’s problems AND the problems of tomorrow. VB6, as you all have stated repeatedly in this…

• CodeLens for Community Edition

CodeLens is very helpful and cool feature! Once you try it, then you can't use simple "find references". I think community will be grateful for it. Make CodeLens available for VS2015 Community!

164 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        18 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback on this idea.

We’re glad you find Code Lens a useful feature, however at present we have no plans to bring it to the Community Edition of Visual Studio; it will remain one of the benefits of the Visual Studio 2015 Professional and Enterprise editions.

As such, we’re declining this suggestion at present.

Thanks!
        Mark Wilson-Thomas
        Program Manager, Visual Studio Editor Team

• Allow Code Snippets that are part of a solution to be automatically added for use

A user's snippet library can become quite an unruly place. Currently, the only way to add snippets that are not part of an extension or provided out of the box is to add them to your personal snippet library.

At many organizations, you may be working in two or more solutions with many projects. It may be helpful to have code snippets defined--some of which only pertain to the current solution. However, the only recourse is to add them all to your personal snippet library.

As a developer, I want to be able to add code snippets to a Visual…

44 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback on this idea.

We have reviewed this and we do not plan to complete this suggestion in the foreseeable future since it has a relatively low level of support at this time, based on this item and other feedback channels.

Mark Wilson-Thomas
          Program Manager, Visual Studio Editor Team

• Provide a Visual Studio Express for ARM based tablets like Surface RT

I was the proud owner of a Microsoft Surface RT and many times I had an Idea I had to first write it down and test it at home when I had my Surface RT with me in the train or in the plane.

I think there is a big thing missing in the whole RT tablets Idea and that is an IDE to allow developers to develop application for their beloved tablet or phone.

Let's have a Visual Studio Express version that can be deployed on Surface RT and the like and it can be restricted to developing Universal…

254 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            26 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. With the upcoming Visual Studio ‘15’ release, we are working hard to make Visual Studio more lightweight and easier to install. However, the system requirements of Visual Studio are incompatible with Windows RT, and we have no plans to port Visual Studio to that Windows edition.

Paul Chapman
            Visual Studio Program Manager

• Bring Silverlight Back-The best product that Microsoft ever built

Microsoft we all know that you are in troubled waters after the surface debacle, Windows-8 also is a major flop. But still we are with you and we can hit back, just bring back one weapon from the junkyard, 'SILVERLIGHT', the best product Microsoft ever built. Work on Silverlight 6 and see how the tables turn. Please bring it back.

237 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Supports dirent.h

the dirent.h include file with the opendir() readdir() functions are the best way and the more portable way to port software to windows.

Because it is described by POSIX it is available on a lot of platform but VisualStudio lacks it.

7 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                declined  ·  2 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Re-open the "Bring back Classic Visual Basic" suggestion for VB6 Programming

The "Bring back Classic Visual Basic" suggestion
                http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/3440221-bring-back-classic-visual-basic-an-improved-versi
                should be re-opened to allow voting.

It has twice been closed, but it was closed without going to review, which is against Microsoft UserVoice policy.

And this suggestion is by far the most popular on UserVoice judging by the number of comments (over 4300).

Clearly this issue won't go away, closing this suggestion doesn't close down the demand for VB6 Programming.

Remember, you claim this site is for "This site is for suggestions and ideas" - yet you close down suggestions you don't like.

Open the suggestion, and allow voting .

249 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  74 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Zagor,

As you mentioned, the suggestion in question was closed. Before it was closed it was reviewed and given due consideration. The result of that consideration, including the final decision is detailed in the response to the linked bug. The duplicate issue you mention was precisely that, a duplicate. It is our policy to merge/close duplicates. This is usually done to merge open ideas and combine their votes and comments but is done for duplicates of closed suggestions as well. Merging is often done promptly and silently though that is not always the case. While we understand that all participants may not be satisfied with our decisions on UserVoice suggestions or the reasons we give for them, creating duplicates or posts suggesting re-opening those suggestions are not an appropriate (or viable) means to re-open consideration.

• VB6 Programming - Create a utility to convert VB.Net to VB6

With the news of the decline of C# and .Net, Microsoft should create a utility that converts VB.Net code to VB6.

http://t.co/doKJ712Kqm

148 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    declined  ·  68 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Enable Page Inspector in Visual Studio 2015

Visual Studio 2013 has the Page Inspector feature, which is really useful in debugging the 'look' of an app. Please enable this feature in Visual Studio 2015.

101 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      7 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Provide a Visual Basic 6 Community edition - to allow free download of the VB6 programming language

Make a Visual Basic 6 Community edition free download of the Microsoft VB6 programming language and IDE available.
                      Microsoft already have a VS2013 community edition and also a free download of Expression Web.
                      Now please allow a 'Community Edition' of VB6.

1,742 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        502 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have no plans to release a new incarnation of the Visual Basic 6 IDE, either as an incremental update or a free “Community Edition”. Some of you have expressed concerns that without such a product it would be difficult or impossible to maintain your existing Visual Basic 6 applications using a licensed version of the product. Please note that Visual Studio Community has a license that restricts use for enterprise development and as such a Community Edition of the Visual Basic 6 IDE would not actually address that concern. Additionally, your original license for VB6 is perpetual so provided that you still have the license key you may continue to install the product for current and future use. Lastly, the Visual Basic 6.0 IDE is available to all MSDN subscribers and can be downloaded at any time from the subscriber downloads section and installed. A generic subscriber key…

• Tool for storymapping

even thogh the new backlog feature is great, It's still a hard job to handle epics and stories in a good way. Idealy I would llike a story mapping tool.

ALM Ranger project candidate

11 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • 51 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            2 comments  ·  Extensibility  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately the work to bring this back as an extension or an open source project would be prohibitive. As we’re not investing more deeply in this space at this time, we’re declining this suggestion for now. Sorry - and thanks for the feature suggestion.

• Enable VS Community activation/registration offline

It would be nice if there was a way to register/activate the Community Edition of VS offline, that one can use it (longer than 30 days) on virtual machines without internet access or PC that cannot access the Internet.
                            There's a way to install it on machines like those discribed above using the "/layout"-Option of the setup on another PC to then install it on the offline PC afterwards, but then there isn't an option to register/activate that copy of VS.
                            For example let us download a license file for the community edition in addition to signing into a Microsoft-Account…

685 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              85 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback and the suggestion about Community edition.

This may not be the answer that you want to hear, but we do require occasional online connectivity as a requirement of using Visual Studio Community. As you probably know, we introduced Visual Studio Community two years ago as a free, full-featured development environment designed for students, open source contributors, small companies, startups and individual developers.

While we set out to try and make Community as broadly available as possible, we recognize that it doesn’t accommodate every scenario. For those who need offline usage, Professional and Enterprise editions might be a better choice.

Since we’re not able to accommodate this request, we are closing this suggestion to return your votes. While we can’t address all suggestions, we appreciate the feedback and hope you’ll continue to share your ideas.

Thanks,

Visual Studio Team

• MVC must have a design view like ASP.net

The problem with the development with MVC is that we are used to ASP.net design view and drag and drop. If this is there is MVC it would be very easy.

4 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                2 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for all the feedback on this item. Please be advised that we have moved this item to the http://aspnet.uservoice.com site and transferred the associated votes. We are going to close this item out and release your votes back to you so you can apply them elsewhere. Note that the votes will remain with the item on the other site, so the item will not lose any of its current vote count, and you will recoup your votes on this site. To track the status, post comments, or add votes on this item, please go to http://aspnet.uservoice.com/forums/41201-asp-net-mvc/suggestions/3090769-mvc-must-have-a-design-view-like-asp-net and sign in using your current user ID and login.

• 0 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  3 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Allow interactive filtering of Debug Output text

It would be very helpful if the Visual Studio Output window supported some sort regex-based filtering of the displayed debug output text, similar to the way DbgView does. This would make it easier to isolate specific lines that I'm interested in, e.g. from tracepoints added during debugging etc.

Using DbgView can be a rough workaround, but it would be really nice to be able to do this directly in Visual Studio while debugging, particularly for tracepoint-generated text, which DbgView obviously cannot see.

155 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    6 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your suggestions to add advanced searching support to the Output window. We are not planning to invest in improvements to the Output window at this time. However, we are still working on the Diagnostic Tools window which has an events view. In the future, we may plan to make improvements to this view so you can see the Debug output events and have more advanced search and filter capabilities.

Thanks,
                                    Kaycee Anderson
                                    Visual Studio

• Visual studio 2017: Add support for Windows store 8.1 projects (Phone & Desktop).

Visual studio 2017: Add support for Windows store 8.1 projects (Phone & Desktop).

34 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. Visual Studio 2015 continues to be a productive developer environment for maintaining Windows 8.1 Store apps. Visual Studio 2017 installs cleanly side by side with Visual Studio 2015, allowing you to maintain your existing Windows 8.1 Store apps in Visual Studio 2015, and to use the latest tools when it comes time to migrate your apps forward to Windows 10.

-Paul Chapman
                                      Visual Studio Program Manager

• Allow to disable codelens 'show references'

CodeLens -> 'Show References' checkbox is disabled. Allow uncheck/disable CodeLens show references feature. It disturbs the code line spacing.

59 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        7 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio IDE team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Mark Wilson-Thomas
                                        Program Manager, Visual Studio IDE Team

• Add full intellisense experience to T4 template editing without an extension

It would be so much easier to work with T4 templates if we had the full intellisense experience. It's already really difficult to create code that generates code (my brain hurts sometimes) but without the rich editing experience that is normally available in VS is much much harder.

I'm aware that there are extensions available but I'd rather not have to pay extra (and rely on a third party) to use the features that already exist in VS.

38 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share this suggestion. Since the suggestion you raised has not gathered many votes, the Visual Studio IDE team is prioritizing other suggestions and closing it at this time.

As you noted, there are a number of extensions available which address this need, some of which are free, so it may be that one of them will meet your needs

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/search?term=t4&target=VS&sortBy=Relevance

If you would like us to reconsider this, please create a new suggestion. Again, thank you for sharing with us!

Mark Wilson-Thomas

• Multiline TODO

Often it's not possible to describe a TODO in a single line. Visual Studio highlights only the first line of a multiline TODO comment (the line that starts with (TODO:). Would be great to devise a syntax that allows multiline TODOs. See screenshot.

35 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            2 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Mark Wilson-Thomas

← Previous 1 3 4 5 30 31
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base