Visual Studio IDE

Welcome to the Visual Studio UserVoice site. Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of the Visual Studio suite of products. This site is for suggestions and ideas. If you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started. 

NOTE: The Applications Insights forum has moved to the Azure feedback site.

For suggestions for improvements to other developer products, see these sites:

To review the current UserVoice statuses and their definitions, please review our “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Visual Studio Team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. XNA 5

Please continue to work on XNA. It's a great way for indie game developers like myself to make games and give them to the world. XNA gave us the ability to put our games, easily, on the most popular platforms, and to just dump XNA would be therefor heartbreaking... I implore you to keep working on XNA so we C# developers can still make amazing games!

23,669 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      386 comments  ·  Games  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Back in 2013, we announced that XNA 4.0 would be the last release of the XNA framework. We thank all of you who used XNA in your games, and we’re humbled by the number of you who want an XNA 5.0! However, XNA 5.0 is not something we’ll be developing.

We know that many of you want to use cross-platform engines to build your games and deploy them in all the places that gamers care about – Xbox, Windows, Sony PlayStation, Nintendo Wii, iOS, Android and more. Now, there is an amazing ecosystem of game frameworks and engines that support building games on Windows and across all platforms.

If you are looking to port your existing XNA game to Windows 10 UWP, please explore the MonoGame framework, which is an open-source, cross-platform implementation of XNA, supporting Windows 10 UWP and a variety of other platforms. If you are…

• Silverlight 6

Please do work on Silverlight next version. I feel Silverlight is great tool which has best in cross development web experience. Although you guys are spending time on HTML5 and other stuffs, but I feel it takes years to bring HTML 5 is not flexible enough like Silverlight.

One more thing, as a Silverlight developer it was only my chance to replace flash from my projects, but as you guys stopped working on it; I feel that I wasted my time in learning Silverlight.

Do start working on Silverlight, Only this will get you back in increasing footprints in website…

15,574 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        692 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Silverlight support and future development work

While Microsoft continues to support Silverlight, and remains committed to doing so into 2021, there will be no new development work except security fixes and high-priority reliability fixes.

Silverlight out-of-browser apps will work in Windows 10. Silverlight controls and apps will continue to work in Internet Explorer until October 12, 2021, on down-level browsers and on the desktop.

Our support lifecycle policy for Silverlight remains unchanged:
        https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?alpha=Silverlight&Filter=FilterNO

As was stated in this blog post, the need for browser extensions including ActiveX controls and Browser Hosted Objects has been significantly reduced by the advances of HTML5-era capabilities which also produce interoperable code across browsers. On the web, plugin-based architectures, such as Silverlight, are moving towards modern open standards, such as HTML5, CSS and JavaScript which are supported on a wide variety of browsers and platforms.

For future development, we recommend modernizing Silverlight applications to HTML5…

• 12,081 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          8056 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have read all of the comments on this thread and I’d like to thank you for providing your constructive feedback on this issue. Instead of merely repeating our support and migration guidance that has been laid out on http://msdn.com/vbrun, I’d like to address some of your specific comments here.

To play back the feedback themes we’re hearing:
          - VB6 is awesome
          - VB6 needs to be brought forward and maintained: in a new release or OSS

VB6 was and still is without a doubt awesome. VB6 made developers incredibly productive building a breadth of applications and as a result we have a wealth of applications and passionate developers to this day in 2014. One way I see our mission in developer tools is to empower developers to solve problems. This includes both today’s problems AND the problems of tomorrow. VB6, as you all have stated repeatedly in this…

• Bring back the basic setup and deployment project type Visual Studio Installer.

You really need to bring back the basic Setup and Deployment project name Visual Studio Installer. It was a clean, simple, and effective installer for home grown applications that were to be deployed internally. I downloaded and used InstallShield LE and it's too complicated and overblown to build simple effective install/uninstall capabilities. Why did you remove it to begin with? We have to support desktop applications for the foreseeable future.

6,178 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            830 comments  ·  Test Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

UPDATE:
            We have just released an extension which delivers the Visual Studio Installer projects functionality present in Visual Studio 2010 for Visual Studio 2013.

To find out more please read Visual Studio Installer Projects Extension

Tony Goodhew, Program Manager, VS Pro

UPDATE:
            We have more information on the next version of InstallShield Limited Edition that will be included in Visual Studio 2013.

What’s new in Visual Studio 2013 and InstallShield Limited Edition

ORIGINAL:
            We’d like to thank you all for your comments on this UserVoice entry. We have been discussing the comments on InstallShield Limited Edition (ISLE) raised here with Flexera and we are currently working with them to address the top issues. At this stage we have no plans to include the former Visual Studio Setup Projects in future product versions but we will continue to work with Flexera and the community to ensure…

• Move forward and bring back VS UI written in native code

Move forward and bring back VS UI written in native code

3,863 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              203 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone,

I know there has been a lot of discussion on this topic, and the general interest has been around improving the performance of Visual Studio. With VS11 Beta out, we have seen significant improvements in performance.

At this point, we do not have plans to re-write the IDE in native code, and we are going to close out this idea and release your votes for you to apply elsewhere.

We have the performance forum (link is on the bottom of the right hand side of the main VS UserVoice page) where you can vote for specific performance ideas, without using up your 10 votes on the main forum.

thanks,
              Doug Turnure (MSFT) – Visual Studio PM

• Make .NET 4.5 work on any OS that supports 4.0

.NET Framework 4.0: Supported operating systems: Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2008, Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2

.NET Framework 4.5 Beta: Supported operating systems: Windows 8, Windows Server 8, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008

If 4.5 is an in-place upgrade, it should support every OS that supports 4.0; wait until 5.0 to drop support for Vista and XP.

3,311 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                196 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks to everyone for sharing your feedback on this issue. VS 2012 supported platforms are now published here (http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/11/en-us/products/compatibility ). While Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 are not supported for .NET Framework 4.5, they remain as supported targeted platforms in VS 2012. More information is available here (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2012/05/18/a-look-ahead-at-the-visual-studio-11-product-lineup-and-platform-support.aspx)

Thank you,
                DeonHe – MSFT
                .NET Framework Team

• Make Debugging faster

It takes too long to begin debugging an application. It also takes too much time stepping through code in debug mode.

1,892 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  28 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There are a wide variety of reasons that debugging can be slow which makes this particular item not directly actionable as it is too broad. Please read the following blog post which outlines various reasons debugging can be slow and provides links to more specific UserVoice items that are actionable (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/03/03/make-debugging-faster-with-visual-studio.aspx).  If you encounter something that doesn’t have an existing UserVoice item please create a new one that is focused on a specific feature area for the debugger

Best Regards,
                  Andrew Hall
                  Visual Studio Debugger

• Provide a Visual Basic 6 Community edition - to allow free download of the VB6 programming language

Make a Visual Basic 6 Community edition free download of the Microsoft VB6 programming language and IDE available.
                  Microsoft already have a VS2013 community edition and also a free download of Expression Web.
                  Now please allow a 'Community Edition' of VB6.

1,742 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    523 comments  ·  Languages - Visual Basic  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have no plans to release a new incarnation of the Visual Basic 6 IDE, either as an incremental update or a free “Community Edition”. Some of you have expressed concerns that without such a product it would be difficult or impossible to maintain your existing Visual Basic 6 applications using a licensed version of the product. Please note that Visual Studio Community has a license that restricts use for enterprise development and as such a Community Edition of the Visual Basic 6 IDE would not actually address that concern. Additionally, your original license for VB6 is perpetual so provided that you still have the license key you may continue to install the product for current and future use. Lastly, the Visual Basic 6.0 IDE is available to all MSDN subscribers and can be downloaded at any time from the subscriber downloads section and installed. A generic subscriber key…

• support XP for 4.5 until the end of XP support!

So many entreprises have to continue to support XP because microsoft themself still support it until 2014!

Because of this we have to ban 4.5 development on any products that is sold externally.

Please come back on this marketing decision and provide a 4.5 framework that the entreprises can work with!

1,732 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      35 comments  ·  .NET  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks SlickRick and everyone else for sharing feedback on this issue. We have published Visual Studio 2012 supported platforms here: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/11/en-us/products/compatibility.

While Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 are not supported by .NET Framework 4.5, they remain as a supported targeted platform in Visual Studio 2012 by targeting .NET Framework 4.0. More information is available here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2012/05/18/a-look-ahead-at-the-visual-studio-11-product-lineup-and-platform-support.aspx.

For those still needing to support Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, we’ve added value down-level to .NET Framework 4.0 from 4.5 via platform updates (4.0.1, 4.0.2 and 4.0.3) and standalone libraries (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bclteam/archive/2012/10/22/using-async-await-without-net-framework-4-5.aspx and http://nuget.org/packages/Microsoft.Net.Http).

Regards

David Kean
                      .NET Framework Team

• C99 support

Support missing C99 features in plain C - stdint.h, declaration in the middle of the block, struct initializers with labels. C99 support is 12 years too late already.

1,133 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        53 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Report Designer

As Microsoft determined LightSwitch as tool not only for developers, it would be very useful to have Report Designer and be able to make Report directly from LightSwitch.
                        This is one of the most wanted feature that non-evelopers need.

At the moment, making reports is bit of challenging and need a big efforts to be done.

1,114 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          24 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Spaso,

Thank you for taking the time to create this suggestion.

We carefully considered this suggestion, but given that there are already many options for creating reports, we have decided to decline this suggestion.

SQL Server Reporting Services can be used to create reports for a LightSwitch application. See instructions how to do this at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj635142.aspx. Alternatively, a blog post describing how to use Active Reports in LightSwitch is available at http://lightswitchhelpwebsite.com/Blog/tabid/61/EntryId/3253/Creating-Multiple-Reports-in-a-Single-Project-Using-ActiveReports.aspx.

Thanks,
                          Elizabeth Maher, LightSwitch Team

• 1,009 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            41 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Go All-In with a Zune-Style Metro UI (See My Makeover Screenshot)

Based on the comments at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2012/02/23/introducing-the-new-developer-experience.aspx?#comments

Here's my UI makeover for VS 2012:

VIEW THE SCREENSHOT MAKEOVER: Attached, or see http://i.imgur.com/Dh0zV.png

Problems I addressed:

1. No more :::::::::::::, and the Toolbar Separators are flatter and lighter.

2. Highly influenced by Zune App UI. Take note of the Min/Max/Close, and the Size Grip, as well as the simple border.

3. Brighter background, minimalist scrollbar, no more reminders of Windows 3.1

4. The ALL CAPS thing is still there, but formatted exactly like in Zune's Metro UI Typographic Style.

5. VS 2012 Icon, Title Bar, and Menu made more consistent with Metro…

976 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              75 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the idea, and we’ve taken steps with RC to address the feedbck we’ve received to date. As it stands, I’m going to close this idea out – technically as declined, but we have made adjustments to the UI. While we did not adapt this particular suggestion, I hope you will find the changes are an improvement over Beta. If not, please feel free to make a new suggestion. Closing this item will give everyone back their votes, to apply against RC.

thanks,
                              Doug Turnure – Visual Studio PM

• Make NATIVE IDE for native developers, MANAGED IDE for managed developers

I think that only fair thing to do is to split VS and actually make VS for C++ developers written in C++ and VS for managed developers could be then written in managed.

970 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                declined  ·  60 comments  ·  IDE and Editor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Switch to Clang

Why?

Because it compiles code faster on large code bases.
                                Because it is more C++11 compliant.
                                Because it will be updated with fixes in a timely manner.
                                Because it will require less of your maintenance.
                                Because you can contribute back to it to make it even better.
                                Because you can build tools out of it like Intellisense, static analysis, etc.
                                Because MSFT can focus on Visual Studio UI and other elements that make it a nice IDE.
                                Because this is what C++ developers would prefer (non-biased opinion here :P ).
                                Because code portability is important in this platform diverse world.

838 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  22 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the suggestion and the good discussion. There are a lot of great reasons expressed here for why switching to Clang would be a good or bad idea.

We’ve made Clang available for use in Microsoft projects as a preview in the Clang/C2 project. We will not move away from the MSVC compiler toolset in the forseeable future.

• assembler

Make inline asm in x64-bit projects.

825 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    24 comments  ·  Languages - C++  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Bring back the MPI Cluster Debugger

In Visual Studio 2010 there is an MPI Cluster Debugger that allows us to debug MPI applications.
                                    It seems that this feature has gone, so please bring it back to make it easier to develop MPI applications on Windows.

825 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      46 comments  ·  Debugging and Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Enable VS Community activation/registration offline

It would be nice if there was a way to register/activate the Community Edition of VS offline, that one can use it (longer than 30 days) on virtual machines without internet access or PC that cannot access the Internet.
                                      There's a way to install it on machines like those discribed above using the "/layout"-Option of the setup on another PC to then install it on the offline PC afterwards, but then there isn't an option to register/activate that copy of VS.
                                      For example let us download a license file for the community edition in addition to signing into a Microsoft-Account…

685 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        95 comments  ·  Install  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback and the suggestion about Community edition.

This may not be the answer that you want to hear, but we do require occasional online connectivity as a requirement of using Visual Studio Community. As you probably know, we introduced Visual Studio Community two years ago as a free, full-featured development environment designed for students, open source contributors, small companies, startups and individual developers.

While we set out to try and make Community as broadly available as possible, we recognize that it doesn’t accommodate every scenario. For those who need offline usage, Professional and Enterprise editions might be a better choice.

Since we’re not able to accommodate this request, we are closing this suggestion to return your votes. While we can’t address all suggestions, we appreciate the feedback and hope you’ll continue to share your ideas.

Thanks,

Visual Studio Team

• Allow Windows Phone 8 Development on non-SLAT processors

I'm sure there are many developers out there with "older" systems that are completely capable of running Windows 8 64-bit and Visual Studio 2012 but are not able to develop and test Windows Phone 8 applications because of Microsoft's choice to make the Windows Phone 8 emulator a Hyper-V virtual machine. There should be a mechanism to run the emulator using either VMware Player or VirtualBox which will use SLAT if it's present but will continue to work if it isn't or update Hyper-V to do the same.

I don't understand this choice as I am able to write applications…

644 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          34 comments  ·  Mobile App Development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Developing Windows apps requires a Hyper-V compatible processor and edition of Windows to use a Windows Phone or other device emulator. You can also deploy and debug to a connected device.

You can see the system requirements for Visual Studio 2015 here: https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/visual-studio-2015-system-requirements-vs.aspx#1
                                          And the requirements for Hyper-V are available here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/virtualization/hyperv_on_windows/quick_start/walkthrough_compatibility

-Paul Chapman
                                          Visual Studio Program Manager

• Add Higher Order Generics to F# (Type Classes)

Add ability to remove code duplication in F# by allowing to abstract over the container type 'M 'a.

620 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            17 comments  ·  Languages - F# Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback, but we are not currently planning to add this feature, in part because it would require significant changes to the CLR. In order to acheive the same effect, you could use an encoding like the one that Steffen suggested below. We don’t plan to add syntactic sugar for that encoding, however.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 30 31
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base