I suggest you ...

Quick Properties on WinForm or WebForm GUI designer

Quick Properties on WinForm or WebForm GUI designer.

Many times we end up creating a sample UI apps with WinForm or WebForm in Visual Studio, for POC, quick demo, test harnesses and even for few real time projects and usually will simply drag & drop the various UI controls from Toolbox.

While doing this, in order to change some basic and frequently used properties, we still have to open the properties by either right clicking the control or using F4, and then locate the property. Which is anyways easy, however, an idea came to my mind that what if we have a quick properties menu within Visual Studio to change these frequently used properties (e.g. Name, Text etc.) with Quick Properties context menu, and it will open whenever you select a control. Depending on control’s category, it will load these properties in context menu. E.g. CommandButton will have, Name, Text etc. and ListBox may have Name, Single / Multi select and collection etc.

The idea here is not really new, and very common when we work with MS Office; like the moment you select the text, it shows that quick menu for basic styles to apply for that selected text.

This will save time when we want to rapidly create and convey something; especially, in trainings and as said above, POCs, Test Harness projects etc.
And it can be configurable from Tools->Options in VS, whether to show it or not as it may be annoying to someone :)

9 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Deepak Khopade shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jon Milliken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a similar suggestion to add the ability to change the default properties of these items within the Visual Studio "Options" menu. Also, you can work around this by using copy/paste of an existing item.

Feedback and Knowledge Base