I suggest you ...

Don't auto enable the Git Source Control Plugin

Our development team (and every other team I've been on) hates the Git plugin for visual studio. We find it cumbersome compared to third-party tools or the command line interface. And it is a performance nightmare, especially with large repositories. This wouldn't be an issue if we could just disable the git plugin by setting it to none in the source control options menu. However, Visual Studio will ALWAYS reenable it if it detects a git repository in the directory of the solution.

We've resorted to regedit-ing to disable it.

If someone wants to turn off functionality, they should be able to turn it off. If you do a bad job writing a bit of software, don't try to force people to use it. Let them use their own tools where they don't like yours, and your tools where they do.

132 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Nicholas Bailey shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Boca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you could ad to GIT or clone the repo would be great, Visual Studio 2017 is full bugs and it's a big waste of time, totally avoid if you can

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another unhappy customer here...wasted more time than I care to think about un-doing auto created git repos...flexibility guys...one size does NOT fit all.

• Edgar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please remove this annoyance, not only is intrusive, but it is horrible to find your project is not found on TFS repo, then you look closely and find out is on GIT repo...Whattaa ??? really?

• Jesse C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Couldn't agree more. Git plugin is killing me, according to procmon. (How many billions of times do we need to look at the gitconfig files?) I'm working on code in a samba share (necessary - trust me), and I just want to handle git via command line on my linux box.

Here comes regedit... :(

Feedback and Knowledge Base